JimG 17-Jun-14
cityhunter 17-Jun-14
nutritionist 19-Jun-14
ridgerunnerron 19-Jun-14
nutritionist 20-Jun-14
drycreek 21-Jun-14
drycreek 21-Jun-14

Date:22-Oct-13

I've been buying a few different brands of mineral licks, and set them up where deer pass by them daily. However none of them seem to be getting worn down like they would if the deer were actually using them. My question is what brand/flavor of mineral lick do you like?

What time of year do you put them out? They tend to be more popular in the summer.

My findings with mineral licks is that they do not work in the fall or winter. Later spring through September seem to be the best time. I use Deer Cocaine and a salt block. Typically place them in February.

I get mine from Whitetail Institute. Pour it on the ground and mix it up in the dirt. They really hit it late spring and early summer. Then I put out some cheap blocks from Tractor Supply and they lick it too, but not nearly as much as the other.

Google "deer mineral lick". For about 50 bucks you can make about 150 or 200 LBS. It's not for hunting over as they are done using it by the time the season starts. Sure is good to see what's around in July and Aug.

Bowmania

The brown blocks from Tractor Supply work great but you need to break them up with a hammer for best results. My dads old place in southern Michigan had a hole a foot and half deep and pretty wide from the deer over the years scraping out the good stuff.

bowjack's MOBILE embedded Photo

Maybe deer like them more in summer but they will still visit them during the fall. This is a trace mineral block from TSC being licked today.

Deer Cain and mineral salt blocks work great for me!! My sites have both.

Date:23-Oct-13
ruletherut90's Supporting Link

If you asked me a year ago I would have said lucky buck, but after trying this new product called Yo Buck I'm sold! This stuff works great and the owner stands by his product. I had ordered some and some how it had gotten put into the dead mail pile about half way on its trip to my house and he sent me a whole new shipment no questions asked! As far as attraction it works better than any of the last 5 minerals I've tried they are still digging at 2 of my sites which I've never seen this late in the year. Hes running a great deal right now on it also. It comes in 3lb bags which is real handy carrying out to a spot.

Bowmania's embedded Photo

How much is a 3 pound bag? Last year we went through 450 pounds of the google recipe. Three foot holes are kid stuff. This doesn't shot the depth of the hole on one of the licks.

Bowmania

Show-Me Greg's embedded Photo

Here are 2 pictures of our mineral lick. One of me adding Deer Cane "Black Magic" powder and one of it being used.

The deer use this lick year around.

I second Bowmania's comments. I have been using the dical mixure for years.

Thanks for the good info. Having a little trouble finding a 50 lb bag of dicalcium phosphate, and something sweet (one recipe calls for dried molasses). Feed store is probably my best bet.

Another thing I'm noticing is most of the bulk prices have doubled since they were posted (around 2001) on a couple of Google sites.

Interesting how I'm reading they are as important for (lactating) females as for male antler growth. Guess everybody is going to be happy, at least until the check is due.

I'm trying Deer Cane - Black this year. First time I've ever tried it. I'll let you all know.

By: EDP1

Date:24-Oct-13

I'll start by saying i'm a formulator and deer nutritionist who has helped design and develop deer minerals for different people as well as do nutrition consulting for deer farms as well. I have experimented with just about every flavor, salt level and combination over the years. Here is what i have found and my opinion on this. 1. Salt regulates intake for all animals. There is an ideal range of salt when placed in the wild to achieve maximum consumption. 2. There is flavors that appeal to humans and consumers but there also are a small few flavors that are "natural attractants" to deer, goats, horses and similar animals. 3. Deer will consume much smaller amounts of mineral and salts from sept thru late winter and for good reason. 4. Animals do not like dusty products or feedstuffs. With that in mind, Particle size, purer and cleaner sources of dical, and other minerals will aid in consumption. 5. Redmonds salt and trophy rock are great for many reasons but they are trace minerals and salt. There is little to no calcium, phosphorus, magnesium or potassium in there. There also is no vitamins in redmonds salt but then again thats debatable if that is even a consideration beyond marketing.

Ruminants prefer to eat with their heads down and it's natural for the deer to consume mineral below the ground level. Always dig a small hole a few inches deep and place the mineral there. Also place 10-15 pounds of mineral per station, placing product there more often verses dumping a large quantity once. Deer will consume way more product long term by frequently adding more mineral.

I use to go thru 1400 pounds of deer mineral a year of my various "Experiments" on a 500 acre farm. I now know what not to do but with anything in life, sometimes it's fun to learn by failure and trial and error.

Date:25-Oct-13

Nutritionist

Don't keep me hanging - what formula do you use? Molasses works well for pigs and bear, but how about deer? Or do you sweeten at all, and if so, with what?

Deer cane works great... Year round. We have a picture in the middle of winter after 12" snow and the deer had dug down through the snow and another 14" through the frozen ground. Made a believer out of me.

Shoot Str8 and stay safe.

Jeff

I'm with williamtell. Tell me MORE ! Store bought minerals are expensive, but I use them because I know they work, and I think they are good for the deer, but I would like to make my own if it benefits the deer. I think some of the stuff mentioned above may be an attractant, but may not be the best at what we are trying to accomplish, which should be giving the deer something that they may be lacking. I would welcome a recipe that would save some bucks and be beneficial. Thanks.

Date:26-Oct-13

Well, the deer mineral i use is a blend and there are actually 4 flavors complexly mixed together. To the trained nose, most people can identify two of them and they are natural attractants to deer. I do have 2 flavor bases i recommend. One flavor mix is for my hunting industry people and buddies to attract deer when on a hunt and the 2nd formula is a deer minerals and pelleted/texturized feeds,

So, if people want to make their own homeade deer mineral here is what you would want to do if you don't want to buy a deer mineral from the stores:

Use 15-25 percent salt and use redmonds salt as it gives you over 60 trace minerals.

Use 40 percent dical like b and b specialties out of spencer wi, Many wholesalers buy and resell their purified dical. Why theirs? Well, they extract aluminum and molydeum out of theirs making it a less dusty and higher cal/phos product which means you can have a more dense mineral.

Use a vitamin/trace mineral pack of which your probably looking at normally 1/2 pound per 50 pounds of deer mineral.

Use 30 percent calcium carbonate

use 4-5 percent of either corn distillers, or wheat middlings.

Use a flavor pack. which would be about 1/2 ounce per 50 pounds of mineral.

I invented a deer mineral base that companies and hunters use 1/4 to 1/2 pound per 50 pounds of deer mineral Or 10 pounds per ton feed. It's a build your own mix. Who knows what will become my next phase of products. I'm an formulator, so i'm always welcoming new ideas and feedback to what people want.

Date:29-Oct-13

Thanks for the info. I like how b and b specialties dical is just a little bit nicer. I'll check if they have a retailer out on the left coast.

Can I get a deer mineral base from you, or is there a company you can point me at that sells it?

By: BB
Date:29-Oct-13

I know this a whitetail thread, but for general knowledge, what I have to say, has much merit.

Few sheep hunters really understand the importance of mineral licks to sheep. They appear in the wilds for all the critters, but wild sheep are drawn more to natural mineral licks than any animal of which I am aware.

If a sheep hunter can find the mineral lick, that the sheep he is hunting are using, he has found a true honey hole, as they can and will visit them many times, often 3 or 4 times a day.

These also attract other wildlife, but sheep are drawn to them like metal filings to a magnet!

In the first photo you can see some rams heading into a mineral lick, and a few, on the middle left, already there.

photo 109.jpg

This is a close up so you can see what one looks like. Notice the 2nd rams head at right bottom of this photo.

photo 107.jpg

And here's the whole bunch as they are leaving and most likely to return within hours or a few days at the longest.

photo 108.jpg

Pardon the posting of sheep, but in a way it relates to most of the critters we hunt.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

Date:30-Oct-13

Why provide mineral to deer? From what I've read, its a great place to put a trail camera over. Other than that does it help make the deer herd healthier? Does it help bucks grow bigger racks? If so, by how much?

It's not legal to do in our part of Wisconsin so I can't do it. If I could, I would buy a cheapest salt/mineral bag from Farm and Fleet just to put a trail camera over during the summer months. BC

I get trace mineral salts in 50 pound bags from Tractor supply or Ranch King. I split it three ways and make three licks three feet in diameter mixed into the soil. In March I get a 50 pound bag of cattle minerals and mix with a 50 pound bag of trace mineral salts. Split three ways and make/replenish three lick sites. In august just trace mineral salts. Most activity is in Spring thru early fall. The deer dig them down

Trace mineral salt doesn't really do much nutritionally for deer. Note salt regulates intake. With any deer mineral or using plain or trace mineral salt, the level of salt in a mix will determine typically consumption level. Every species has a requirement and yes weather can come into play and change consumption rates.

If one just wants to use a trace mineral salt mix there is only one way to go and that is with redmonds salts. There are over 60 traces in there instead of the 6-8 in most commonly used trace mineral salts.

Antlers are made up of 11 different minerals in the whitetail’s antlers. In addition to calcium (19 percent) and phosphorus (10 percent), the next most common elements were magnesium (1 percent) and sodium (0.5 percent). Antlers are also 45% protein.

If one is trying to grow big antlers look at what they are composed of. Next ask yourself what the deer are consuming forage wise in your area and what is the nutrient profile of what they are eating.

In areas where your not suppose to use deer mineral in Wisconsin, there is a few things you can do to grow bigger deer and that is where my research the past few years is focusing. I invented a product that will increase protein, energy and mineral content on anything you foliar apply it to. Also, there is the use of food plots. Shhhhhh .......use Deer Creek Seed's straight winfred brassica, it's a turnip/kale cross that will stay green to 10 degrees and nothing is higher in protein and minerals than Kale.

nutritionist, I tip my camo hat to you for your honest answer. I've asked the question of others related to the mineral industry and usually get a lie or two, or I'm talked down to like I'm the idiot. You have earned my respect. I am checking out Deer Creek Seed and may ask you for further assistance if that is okay.

You're from Wisconsin? Where? I live in Waunakee, hunt in Marquette and Monroe counties mostly.

Thanks again! BC

By: Candor

In my area of SC I have seen and tried different things. None seem to work until they are adsorbed into the ground and they can lick the dirt (like others say above. So while there may be many variables I think any of it is a waste of money if you don't dig a shallow hole for it.

Date:31-Oct-13

Thanks bow crazy for the words. I also live near Madison Wi and am blessed with my family having 1000 acres of farm land north of Madison where we have done qdm for over 23 years. Yes, I do have my own line of minerals, attractants, plant foods etc etc but when i do seminars or when someone asks me a question, i'll give an opinion based on science not based on PRODUCT. I use to work for a company in the Midwest that had numerous hunting minerals, feedstuffs and products but most were flawed or poor nutritionally or seed wise and i couldn't sell what i didn't believe in.

Deer mineral is very important but most people who sell deer mineral don't have a clue what deer like, need or what happens with the product after the deer consumes it. Most deer minerals in the industry really are "attratants" and not deer minerals.

An effective deer mineral will need 1-2 oz consumtion rates per day and with "time released trace minerals" that aren't flushed through the system after 40 hours as it would be rare to see deer hitting your mineral pile every day.....an effective deer mineral will also have purified b and b dical. It will also have anti bacterial and anti microbial properties. It also should form a barrier to shed rain, yet not too much salt to become "trophy rock".

Is there anything on the market that you suggest?

Maybe a formula the avergage guy can put together?

Don't really care about attracting deer, just something useful for the herd.

Most products on the market aren't nutritionally sound minerals but i'd deem them attractants. Whenever I do seminars I always have a segment called tag reading 101.

Here is some things to look for... If a deer mineral has more than 25% salt, you will not get maximum consumption. You also might be creating your own "trophy rock" If you are mainly using oxides instead of sulfates as your trace mineral sources, your only getting 50% of the bioavailability of some of the trace minerals.

I formulate some deer minerals for some businesses and companies and they all have different formulas. Here is what i'd want as a MINIMUM on any deer mineral i'd choose to recommend.

CALCIUM 16% minimum phosphorus 7% minimum, you could get by with slightly less if your using b@b premium dical as it's 30% more bioavailable so a 6% phos mineral using b@b would give one an equivalent phos value of around 8%. Magnesium at least 1% Zinc and manganese levels of at least 2500 ppm's as if a deer ate .1lb/hd/day of mineral , they would be around 50ppm in their diet. Copper levels of at least 500 ppm selenium levels of at least 20ppm

note that deer really need elevated levels of zinc and copper. Some of the deer farmers we look at possibly twice the levels mentioned above if one's trying to grow really large deer.

I'm not comfortable recommending any particular brands on here on the record but for those who want good options off the record, i'll throw some names and minerals out there that are bioavailable and nutritionally sound.

Note, many of the fancy bagged products are all marketing and not all that sound but there are some real nice smaller companies who are in the mineral business for the right reasons and not just to make some really large margins on product sales.

Date:04-Nov-13

Nuttritionst do you have a product mixed up you sell?

Date:05-Nov-13

I up til this point have had friends and businesses selling my products. I have helped people create their own minerals as well. I have two websites in the works, as i created a whole line up of products i've invented over the years. I've named my line up of products after my grandpa, and am marketing it under grandpa ray's. My grandpa was a huge sportsman and very generous with allowing people to enjoy the sport on his land. Any profits earned will go to youth hunting education as well as make a wish foundation.

Date:30-May-14

Ive had the best luck with infRACKtion deer mineral its very low on salt and high in calcium and phosphorus also has several microminerals and vitamins A, D and E. They use it year around the bucks will slack off around the rut but does will still hit it. Ive seen a big difference in the 3 years I've been using healthier and the younger deer are the proof alot better mass and time length at young ages I won't use nothing else www.daybreakoutdoors.com

One way to get free advertisement....link your own website

Its just a mineral company I use and believe in its proven that it works!!

The website names Dusty Clark , You, as the owner

Daybreak Outdoors 420 Curd Cemetery Road Dexter, KY 42036

Dusty Clark, Owner (270) 293-7043 [email protected]

Thanks for all the info we help him promote his business and yes its the real deal check it out you won't be disappointed

Date:01-Jun-14

ok i'll bite...

How about you share on here a complete tag and i'll give out my opinion on it.

Is the trace minerals in oxide, sulfate or chelated form? Are there any antagonists in it? Why is it unique? Is it a mineral or attractant?

just read a study that was done on 1000 arces for 10 years.was done in the state wis.thier finding were that minerals made little difference to antler size nor body weight.deer need salt during green seasons so as to keep fluids in thier bodies as green plants have a lot more moisture in them and tend to flush the minerals out of thier bodies faster.( the more water a person drinks,the clearer the urine will be.water flushes the body.i know when i wrestled in high school,old school practice was to give us salt tablets to retain fluids.same for deer.im no expert but i read all i can about deer and how they live.heres a ? has anyone ever taken the soil for a natural mineral lick site, had it analized just to see what they contain?

Nutritionist I found your Facebook page. Just wondering what is in your attractant and how you use it? I'm sure you don't want to give the full details of what's inside but a general understanding of what it is and how it works would be great. Thanks

Date:03-Jun-14

I'll address steelie's comments. Lush early growth are high in moisture and so the "rate of passage" of feedstuffs consummed by ruminants are faster than normal in those early stages, SO YES. But also some soils and plants actually are high in sodium. In one 30 mile area close to my home base. I have had to change formulations based on what i know about a person's soil and water content. Sodium limits intake up and down. But it's only a small portion of the diet. There are many more important factors. I'll save you all on here on those.

Most people go through way too little of deer mineral to do much good in the grand scheme of things. YES, I SAID THAT. But if one is able to get consistent intake and let's say some place like my home farm i went through one year 1400 pounds of deer mineral. So many people put out 50-100 pounds a year of deer mineral and hope for that huge buck...not happening.

Now as a nutritionist and agronomist, let me tell you how one can get biggest responses nutritionally.

One, plant forages higher in mineral, protein, energy and digestible fiber.

Two, be on a solid fertilizer program, as it affects tonnage, and the 3 major factors in growth.

Three, Foliar feed, foliar feed, foliar feed...It's what i've spent many many years experimenting with and am seeing boosts in protein, 3% increase in energy, 15% boosts in minerals. All done cheaply.

One can't balance a wild deer diet as there is too many variables but deer know what to eat and when. Right now, as with years past, guess what deer eat for a week or two in the fields? GIANT RAGWEED. Yes, there is reasons they eat certain weeds.

If one has the right type of clovers, right type of brassicas and great sward density, one tilts the table in your favor.

There is a reason why i am experimenting with new brassicas....

So as to flavors....It all started by accident!!

Date:05-Jun-14

nutritionist here you go its a attractant and supplement Nutrients Min/Max

Calcium 18.567% 19.567% Phosphorus 6.5% Salt 26.5% 27.5% Cobalt 7.5 ppm Copper 45.0 ppm Iodine 27.0 ppm Manganese 900.0 ppm Selenium 3.0 ppm Zinc 750.0 ppm Vitamin A 133,333 IU/lb Vitamin D 26,667 IU/lb Vitamin E 40,000 IU/lb

greenhead83's embedded Photo

They love it!

Ok here goes, the tag must be wrong with vitamin E as normally you see 50 IU/lb , sometimes 300-600 iu/lb. Vitamin E 20,000 per lb costs $1 a lb and if there is 40,000 in each lb that deer mineral would be priced like GOLD. So, perhaps you made a typo or their tag is wrong. None the less, the cal, phos and salt aren't too bad but I like to use/formulate/recommend about 3-4 times the levels of trace minerals.

What's even a more important thing to me would on any mineral package, are they using oxides, sulfates or chelated trace minerals.

How do you know? Look on the bottom of the tag and see if it says, manganese oxide, manganese sulfate, manganese methionine or even in my case i prefer manganese polysaccaride. Why is this? Because, sulfates are in this case about 50% more bio-available than oxides. Chelates are 80% more bioavailable and polysaccarides, i'd like to think even a tad better than chelated traces in the methionine form.

Why do we want this? Well, since deer do not hit the mineral piles every day, oxides will get "flushed" through the system faster. I especially like chelated "time release" selenium as it gets stored in the muscle and doesn't get flushed through the blood and system nearly as fast.

Date:06-Jun-14

yes sir that was typo on my part its supposed to be 400 for vitamin E

Date:07-Jun-14

I have had good luck with my deer using the Whitetail Institute mineral, but I have no clue if it does them any good. At any rate, I just ordered some of the infRACKtion and will try that also. Hell, it's only money !

Nothing works better than deercane in clay soil.

Ok, here is my tips to getting consumption on any type of deer mineral.

Too many people use deer mineral too high in salt. Salt regulates intake on all animals up or down. Too much salt lowers consumption. Too little salt for free choicing purposes doesn't give that thin protective coating to shed rain.

Don't throw deer mineral on a stump or on top of the ground. Deer are ruminants and it's in their dna to have their nose on the ground. There are other reasons they are suppose to have their nose lower, but that would probably put you all to sleep with terms lige cud chewing and natural buffering , yadda yadda yadda...

Dip a hole about 3-4 inches deer and about 2-3 feet around. Put about 10 lbs of deer mineral to start with. Refresh your mineral stations every week or two.

I know someone who is now up to 400 pounds of deer mineral put out since February. I know the secret and if some day i ever reveal it, you all will laugh will you cry. "It all started by accident about 20 years ago." Almost like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93hxKtd4CdA

Met with a couple different guys in the hunting industry today. I think the future lies with selling a deer base that people can add their own salt, calcium and dical to it (that they can buy from their local feed stores or farm centers). I think that is the solution with todays crazy freight/shipping costs.

Date:08-Jun-14

Add grape koolaid packets to it

For some reason deer find it quicker and hit it more frequent.

Also for those that supplemental feed, its great to coat corn with.

Date:08-Jun-14

John very interesting . Thanks

Date:09-Jun-14

The grape isn't specifically whats attracting the deer but one component in the grape koolaid...and i can't believe i'm admitting that. But it will be covered in more detail in due time, here, elsewhere and in a book.

Go to local coop or feed store and purchase 50# sack of cattle graze mix salt and a 50# sack of DI-Cal. Mix ingredients 50/50 pour over a rotten stump or log or dig hole in ground and mix ingredients into soil. Both bags of ingredients will cost around $40. Contents will provide for two mineral stations.

After digging a mineral station hole and pouring the ingredients in...do you add water and work it in some more...or just let mother nature do her thing?

Date:10-Jun-14

So what's the component of the grape Kool-aid that attracts them?

crestedbutte,

I just let Mother Nature handle the moisture part. I just keep mineral lick refurbed. Have always had favorable results.

You can zoom in on this link and see full ingredients..

http://www.soap.com/p/kool-aid-invisible-drink-mix-grape-19-oz-3-pk-205084

I am guessing it's the CALCIUM PHOSPHATE????

For those deer grain allergies, the good news is that it's GLUTEN FREE - LOL

I don't think I can mix Grape Koolaid in with my minerals - too many ######## bears in NJ...

Jack Harris's embedded Photo

King cop- The only people who knows the answer to the Koolaid equation and secret to the attractants ive invented are my best friend, the company that mixes it for me and one really smart man who made my attractant the most complex and sound science product out there. And the story behind it would be a great thing to sit around drinking beer over. "It all stated by accident."

Do not put deer mineral on stumps. Who ever came up with that concept doesn't know deer are ruminants, doesn't strive to get good consumption and makes for good banter when i get together with deer industry friends.

Dig a hole around 2-3 inches deer initially. You need to get the mineral below ground level initially. You need to not get it too deep or water will stand. If you use the 40-50% salt minerals then your just going to end up with hard mineral that will reduce consumption.

Deer are ruminants and need their head on the ground as that is natural. There is many reasons why you want the deers nose on the ground and i'll spare you all here on that, unless your trying to grow and or shoot big deer.

DONT ADD WATER..you don't want the mineral hard. You want a thin layer on top of the mineral if there is a rain, you want to repell water not attract water.

Put 10-15 lbs of mineral per spot. It's best to put out often than to "dump a pile on the ground."

So here is what i ask people....

What are you trying to accomplish with mineral? Do you want healthier deer? Are you trying to help put on some inches, increase breeding, and activate the immune system?

For the people who want to help put on inches. A bag or two won't help much. It's sort of like...if one takes a daily multi vitamin once or twice a week, how much good does it do? Most deer minerals are full of oxides and in some cases sulfates and they get rapidly flushed through the system.

Date:11-Jun-14

Back before using minerals was outlawed in my part of Wisconsin, I used to have mineral stations on my property with a goal for increased animal health and bone growth.

I tried nearly every kind available in the 90's and early 00's, and I found that ANTLER KING's mineral bag was by far the best IMHO. I am a trail camera junkie, and my cameras seemed to indicate that the deer prefered the A.K. over all else. Bucks, does and fawns included.

Since I have had to stop using mineral sites, I have CLEARLY noticed a reduction in antler size, especially amongst yearling bucks. Also, fawn sizes in the fall are smaller.

I sure hope that state changes the rule back soon.

Date:12-Jun-14

I don't know if its good for a deer or not. I like my food salty, I do know that.

I find Expecting does hitting it a lot before their fawns are born.

The most important aspect to me is that I use it as a trail cam hub, I feel like I can get almost every deer on camera in that particular territory through late june / July / aug.

Date:16-Jun-14

were can I get my hands on some DiCalcium phosphate /???????

Date:16-Jun-14

Antler king is typical of many of the average minerals on the market and I have a wonderful story I really wish I could share here but i'll for once pull short. Hint is..."oxides are NOT more available than sulfates and chelates.

Dicalcium phosphate and monocalcium phosphate can be bought at just about any farm store or feed mill. I am biased towards b and b premium dical because it's purified. They pull iron and aluminum out of their's which makes it less dusty and iron can an antagonist and in areas with high iron in the water or soil, can tie up other trace minerals.

By: JimG
Date:17-Jun-14

Nutritionist send me a pm. I'd like to try your minerals. I have been using the di-cal and trace minerals and salt on my farm in North Central Kentucky for the past 14 years and notice a big difference in rack size on our bucks. The deer eat so much of the dirt with the minerals in it that I have had to fill in the holes they dig and re apply the minerals. I have 528 acres and use three different sites with minerals. I have used some of the big name minerals only to find they are not visited as much as the di-cal blend. The trophy rock granules seem to work the best of store bought brands.

Thanks JimG

Date:17-Jun-14

thanks

Date:19-Jun-14

Jim G, that is how i knew what i stumbled onto many years ago. I use to bury my old free choice mineral bags in the pot holes on the farm, but the deer kept digging them up. Some of the mineral stations I had, became too big. This is where it all started....by an accident.

Deer need to lick the mineral out of the soil. I also believe there is another biologic reason for this. Deer are ruminants and at various times of year, they need to "buffer" themselves. I believe some of the dirt licking is their way of trying to neutralize their rumens.It's sort of how steers at times lick dirt and crave bentonite.

Deer will consume way more mineral once you get a regular hole and one that is naturally widened by the deer themselves.

Date:19-Jun-14

I could never understand why they prefer to eat the mineral from a hole and including dirt...and they eat less of the mineral poured on a stump...and even less when it's poured on a good sized flat rock.

Please share me your thoughts.

Date:20-Jun-14

Deer are ruminants. They are designed to have their noses on the ground. When a ruminant has their nose on the ground, they salivate more. When they salivate more, they produce more "natural buffers", this helps regulate their pH. Everyone talks about soil pH, but guess what the ideal pH in ruminants is? Yep, 6.5 pH.

Also, when one has their soils out of wack, you will have your plants out of wack. This is part of the reason why so many people report their deer aren't eating their brassicas. Yep, they will be bitter if your out of wack.

So, deer prefer to lick the mineral out of the dirt. It's in their nature. I so wish i knew who started the screwed up recommendation of dumping mineral on a stump. I'll assure you that man knew nothing about deer and probably would kill them off by throwing a pile of corn out there, during the dead of winter, trying to save them from starving.

Date:21-Jun-14

Date:21-Jun-14

Oh, and an update on the infRacktion mineral. I put it out last Saturday and was mowing some of my trails Wednesday and they are already hitting it. So they like it, just remains to be seen if it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.