Going into the hunt I knew it would be a gamble with the heat that early in the season but I wanted the first chance at one of the great bucks I know are there. There are a few that are absolute monsters by anyone's measure with quite a few in that would easily beat my goal on getting one over my current 143" bow best. As with Murphy's Law the weather jumped about 20 degrees from the week before and put the deer close to nocturnal....then there was the wind and the rainstorms. I saw a massive buck trotting out in the open on the first afternoon but he was on a mission from point A to point B and it wasn't me. The second morning I passed a 9 point that was likely a 2 1/2 year old with good genetic. Nice racked buck but not a shooter. Of course he stood broadside at 24 yards for several minutes and had no idea I was there. The third evening it was a bit windy and swirling. I saw a group of deer going up a hill off to my right that had probably the widest deer I have personally ever seen in the wild stop and briefly look look back in my direction. Reminded me of a long horned steer it was so wide. On day 4 a nice encounter with what was likely 3 1/2 year old main frame 10 point with a small drop tine and a kicker off of it's G2. He came within 2 steps of getting my arrow but it just wasn't to be. Overall I have no doubt the weather was the main factor in me not tagging out and I did rebook for next year....just a little later in the season. Hopefully I get another chance with the one that was so close. Cant wait to see how big he'll be if he makes it.
Ray, Thank you for your positive response. We greatly appreciate our archers sharing with others their overall Wide Rack Outfitters Experience/Adventure. We will get you on a BIG ONE again next season so you can slip one of your new VPAs in behind the shoulder! Looking forward to your return! GBTA! Mike Connett, Wide Rack Outfitters
Exactly what you don't want for catching big bucks out during the day. HOT, windy, and a couple of outright downpours. I have no doubt I would be rating this as excellent if not for the weather. I did rebook!