Franzen 04-Jul-23
Starfire 04-Jul-23
drycreek 04-Jul-23
APauls 04-Jul-23
Kydeer1 04-Jul-23
2Wild Bill 04-Jul-23
Osceola 04-Jul-23

Date:03-Jul-23

I have always had tillage equipment for my plots. I have a new place 2 hours away and I don't plan on hauling a tractor, disk or drill up there. The biggest concern I have is coming up with a method do you use to scratch up the dirt before broad casting seed?

Background: This is cattle grazed pasture still in grass. Plan: Spray 2 acre spots to kill everything this weekend. Spray second time July 15, 16, or 17th. August 1st or so, I will take a harrow section, 4 wheeler, and 5 foot roller packer to site. Rough up top of the dirt by dragging the harrow section several times, broadcast radish and wheat, drag some more, roller pack the plot, broadcast clover, roller pack once more.

Does anyone have a better method to rough up the dirt before I broadcast the seed than a harrow section pulled behind a four wheeler?

That’s the same method we have be using with so so results. I think mostly due to weather. This year we are building a spike chisel as the drag harrow isn’t cutting it with the existing veg roots.

Osceola's MOBILE embedded Photo

The old harrow section I have is similar with the picture. Maybe I should bring some type of weights to place on it also.

If they are digging deep enough you won't pull with 4wheeler.You may have to just go over multiple times.You still have time to plant so if too dry wait for rain.

When equipment is lacking you can do something called Throw-n-Mow. It's mostly like what you have planned but with no scratching the soil. Spray, broadcast seed, then mow your dead vegetation over the the seed. It covers it with thatch which helps with water retention and shielding. It works well if you get rain, but germination rates are lower than actually planting so I go heavy with broadcasting rates.

Since cattle have/is grazing the pasture, there will not likely be a lot of vegetation to provide much "mulch" if I took a mower.

I do plan to wait till a highly probable rain event before broadcasting.

I was thinking of 7 lbs. white clover, 5 lbs. radish, and 50 lbs. wheat per acre. Too heavy seeding or not enough of any one seed?.

Next spring I was going to frost seed additional 5 lbs. clover into the plots. Long term goal is to have several 2 acre clover plots.

I'd say you're spot on with the clover, good to maybe heavy with the radish, and if you don't have good soil to seed contact or good mulch maybe light on the wheat. I often do a 100lb mix of cereals (50 each of wheat and winter rye) when using as a nurse crop for clovers.

By: t-roy

I’d think your harrow would be constantly plugging up with the dead thatch, unless there isn’t as much as I’m imagining. My guess would be you would have better results with cat’s suggestion of the throw n mow, even if there’s not a lot of thatch. Getting enough moisture to get things sprouted is gonna be key. Agree on cat’s assessment on the seed, as well, other than the radishes. In fact, I would maybe suggest going just a tad heavier on them, due to sketchy germination and beings they’re the only brassica you would be seeding.

Date:04-Jul-23

If conditions allow, light a match to it after 1st spray kill off. You might be able to scratch it enough with that harrow then, as long as you've had some moisture. I don't envision you doing much if you don't burn it off or use another method. Obviously, I haven't seen the plot.

I bought a 3 foot disk to pull behind my ATV. Great for doing trails and honey holes in the woods.

I’m with Troy and Cat, depending on the root system of whatever type grass that’s growing there. Gonna be frustrating trying to drag with lots of grass roots. If cattle have it eaten to lip deep then it’s gonna be throw and pray more than likely. If it were me I’d spray heavy and kill it to the roots, haul my tractor and disc there and do it as always.

By: APauls

My .02 is youtube the ultimate no till method. Whether you like the guy or not that method works pretty darn good with minimal equipment. The keys are the summer cover crop, herbicide treatment, and small seeds (clover, brassicas, oats, etc). You won't get as good of a stand as if you worked the ground and such but I've had some solid results in the past even in not so great soils. Also the addition of a late broadcasted cereal rye in bare areas, or just overseeding after your plot is up, is a great way to have a food plot/cover crop heading into the winter and for the spring.

How boring, I thought this was going to be a political thread:)

Thanks for the submissions.

I try to listen and it does not sound like I will like the results of what I had planned.

I am going to try to find a tiller for my 45 hp tractor and go that route.

If I can't find a tiller, I will haul a riding lawn mower up and try the throw and mow method increasing wheat to 100lbs per acre.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.