Hunt98 27-Jul-20
t-roy 27-Jul-20
Habitat for Wildlife 27-Jul-20
CAS_HNTR 27-Jul-20
Hunt98 27-Jul-20
Norseman 27-Jul-20

By: Hunt98
Date:27-Jul-20

I glyed and broadcasted buckwheat in some test areas to see if it would grow for weed suppression two months ago. I didn’t get much rain for a 10 days or so after broadcasting. Not much grew. But I disked and planted brassica in the same area a few weeks ago and now the buckwheat is growing with the brassica. I did notice some of the buckwheat tops have been eaten.

Will deer still eat the buckwheat through the fall or would it be better to remove the buckwheat now?

By: t-roy

The deer will eat it some, but I’d get rid of it somehow, if possible. I did the same as you last year, but my buckwheat went to seed before I got it disced up. I worked the soil up and planted brassicas into that plot. I had quite a bit of volunteer buckwheat come up, and it outgrew my brassicas and shaded them out. Most of the brassicas were WAY smaller than they should have been. Also, once the buckwheat freezes, it’s no longer a draw for the deer.

Troy's experience is what I have had, but buckwheat is a great weed suppressor, just make sure you leave time to kill the regrowth.

They nibble it.....I wouldn't say they love it

Otay!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.