Iowabowhunter 30-Jun-20
Iowabowhunter 30-Jun-20
BOHUNTER09 30-Jun-20
t-roy 30-Jun-20
Iowabowhunter 06-Jul-20
Habitat 09-Jul-20
shortstop 09-Jul-20

Date:28-Jun-20

Putting in my first food plot at grandpas farm. We got the field mowed and cut, going to put weed killer down tomorrow.

Couple weeks after then we'll run the harrow and be ready to plant.

I have some turnips I will plant, what else should I look at for planting? We just have a hand spreader and 4 wheeler.

Plot is about 10 yards wide, and maybe 140 yards long.

Mid Iowa, it's an open plot so itll have plenty of sun.

Never done this before, excited to try it out!

Turning the soil will open the seed bank and bring a rash of weeds in your new plot. Either harrow it now and spray again at planting or add plants that will help drown them out. I like sunflowers, millet, chicory, sunhemp, beans, and buckwheat in my summer plots but your region and soil might need something different. I don't plant turnips anymore so I'm not sure how some of those I listed will compete with them.

By: LKH

Be sure your weedkiller doesn't have residual effects.

By: t-roy

Kind of confused. Thread title is “Weed killer”, but asking about what to plant. If you’re wanting to know what to spray to kill the weeds, I’d suggest just using glyphosate. If you just want to know what are your options are of what to plant, I’d say you could plant turnips, but I’d also look at mixing in some forage radishes and winfred brassicas or kale, etc. Your plot is just a tad bigger than 1/4 of an acre. Turnips do not do well if you seed them too heavily. You might do best if you just bought a commercial mix like Frigid Forage Big N Beasty or something similar. They are generally premixed to approximately the proper amount of seed, vs trying to figure the rates out for yourself, especially if you’re just getting started doing this. Brassicas are usually recommended to be put in here in Iowa in late July/early August. You could also seed rye, wheat or even oats into your already growing plot about September 1st. Hopefully you get some good rains after seeding. What part of the state are you in?

Since you do not have equipment to till with, I would do the following:

1) Wait the 2 weeks, but spray one more time right before you broadcast the seed to kill any remaining/new emerged plants. This is assuming you are using a contact killer like glysophate. That herbicide will not affect seeds or plants that germinate after you have sprayed. 2) Do not broadcast your until you are sure rain is coming. Since you are using turnips (a very small seed), a rain of .75 to an inch will place the broadcasted seed at a depth in the soil sufficient to get acceptable dirt to seed contact that is needed for germination. 3) After your turnips are growing, about August 15th, and I would then broadcast wheat into the growing turnips. Again, I would wait until you are sure a rain will be coming before you broadcast the wheat. The rain will help create good seed to soil contact for germination. I prefer to broadcast the wheat seed twice what the normal seeding rate is for your area. By broadcasting, you don't get as many germinated plants as when using a drill or planter. The deer will generally eat the wheat until it gets to about 6 inches. I broadcast twice the rate because I want as many 6 inch plants I can get. Other may do it differently.

If I have only two factors to consider: Time of the year or next time it will rain, I will always wait for the rain event even if I think it is a week or two too late.

Good luck.

By: writer
Date:29-Jun-20

Next time, use the herbicide well in advance of mowing. The more leafs etc on a plant, the better it will absorb the chemical.

Date:29-Jun-20

Gly will barely kill grass anymore so if you have marestail or pigweed you will either have to choke it out or spray something different.Also remember when it comes to turnip seed alittle goes a long way and don't be surprised if the deer don't eat them if there is anything else around.They are about my last choice of something to plant

Date:30-Jun-20

Putting in my first food plot at grandpas farm. We got the field mowed and cut, going to put weed killer down tomorrow.

Couple weeks after then we'll run the harrow and be ready to plant.

I have some turnips I will plant, what else should I look at for planting? We just have a hand spreader and 4 wheeler.

Plot is about 10 yards wide, and maybe 140 yards long.

Mid Iowa, it's an open plot so itll have plenty of sun.

Never done this before, excited to try it out!

Not sure why that posted again sorry about that.

I sprayed roundup last night, going to check on it Friday.

Sounds like I should spray again "right before" I plant- does that mean wait a couple days between the two? I wouldn't want the roundup to kill the seed.

Going to be planting TBI's Killzone plot mix if that makes a difference.

I'm going to treat this as a learning experience, I'm writing everything down as I go so that I can replicate/change for next year if needed.

Thanks all for your help.

The farm is in Guthrie county-Central Iowa

Roundup won’t affect the seeds. You can spray before or after planting

By: t-roy

Don’t expect to see immediate results on your weed kill with Roundup. Some weeds will show signs of wilting/dying fairly quickly, but others, especially grasses, may take up to 2 weeks to be able to see definitive results.

If you’re going to work the ground up before you plant, I’d suggest doing so, then planting the same day, if possible. If you till, then let it sit for several days before planting, you will get a new flush of weeds that will have a head start on your seed vs planting the same day as tilling. TBI recommends planting in late August. I’d suggest doing it earlier than that. Ideally, planting right before a good rain would definitely help with germination, especially if you’re just seeding it, then driving on it to compact the seeds a bit.

As far as spraying Roundup. It is a contact herbicide, which means it needs to come into contact with a growI got plant (leaves, stem, etc) As long as your seed hasn’t sprouted and/or is above ground, you’re safe.

Date:06-Jul-20

Thanks all!

Date:09-Jul-20

The RU won't kill weeds like pigweed or marestail so if you want to help control these you would need to let the seeds that you stir up sprout.Has the ground ever been farmed?if recently I would just spray and broadcast right before a rain but then again I gave up on deer eating turnips or brassica long ago

Date:09-Jul-20

24D any broadleaf that guy doesn't get. Wait a week to seed after 24D application.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.