32Timbers 22-Jun-20
Wildan2 22-Jun-20
t-roy 22-Jun-20
DuckhunterBrad 22-Jun-20
32Timbers 22-Jun-20
t-roy 22-Jun-20
DuckhunterBrad 22-Jun-20

Date:22-Jun-20

I planted a little over an acre of corn this year and was hoping to plant in between the rows with something. Any suggestions or tips on what, when and how to plant. I do not plan on taking down any of the corn during during the season. Located in MN. Thanks.

IMHO:corn doesn't like to be crowded;that is why there is RR corn.May not be a good idea.

By: t-roy

You could broadcast a cereal grain into it in late August or early September for some additional attraction. Possibly some brassicas could also be broadcast into it in late July as well, however, don’t expect tremendous growth from those, due to being shaded by the corn. Rain is the big factor in getting things to germinate when broadcast on bare ground. Were any herbicides sprayed on the plot that might have some residual? Roundup/Liberty won’t be an issue, but other herbicides might cause issues.

If broadcasting a cereal grain, I’d recommend rye or triticale over oats or wheat. Oats aren’t very hardy, and a few hard frosts generally kill it, whereas rye, triticale, and wheat are all pretty winter hardy. I’d also recommend going heavier on seed than normal. Germination won’t be as high due to being on bare dirt, but with decent rain, you can grow cereal grain on a cinder block.

I bough an attachment for my leaf blower for exactly this purpose. Small seed hopper set on the blower tube and blows the seed out a pretty good distance. Turnips/radish’s and wheat work very well through it. Shade from the corn and any pre emergent you sprayed will hamper germination.

Thanks, I planted round up ready corn and have sprayed it twice. Otherwise that is the only thing Ive applied. Ill have to look into the leaf blower idea. Seems like a great idea. Can you broadcast turnips and have success? Looking for something to keep the deer around later in the season.

By: t-roy

The cereal grains will definitely be an attraction. Like I said in an earlier post, I wouldn’t expect tremendous growth from turnips, which I consider a brassica, but there will be some.

Broadcast brassicas at 2lbs an acre right before a rain and you will have a great stand.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.