Catscratch 03-Jun-20
Catscratch 03-Jun-20
Catscratch 03-Jun-20
WI Shedhead 04-Jun-20
flyingbrass 04-Jun-20
c5ken 08-Jun-20

By: c5ken
Date:29-May-20

How often and when should I mow my Ladino clover plot? MY clover is about 8" tall, should I wait until its taller or until it flowers??

By: JohnMC

Saint Patrick’s day?

Never mind those are shamrocks.

Habit for the wild will probably be along with a better answer.

By: BWBOW

BWBOW's embedded Photo

I have a couple good clover plots ranging from .5 acre to 4 acre plots. I always cut mine high when it starts flowering just to cut heads off. In central Missouri I have done it 2 already this year. I generally just put lime down in early spring.

By: RIT

RIT's embedded Photo

I mow Memorial Day and again on Labor Day. I take half and leave half. Also in the fall I’ll sometimes overseed, add gypsum and occasionally something like 6-24-24. I rarely spray for any weeds.

RIT's embedded Photo

RIT's embedded Photo

I have learned from some others about sewing grains into clover in the fall to soak up some excess N so the weeds can’t have it.

By: t-roy

t-roy's embedded Photo

I’ll probably mow next weekend on this plot.

The biggest problem with letting it go too long is the cut offs lay on your plot and kills it in places. It is better to mow it off multiple times and only cut about 2-3 inches off of it, or have some one put it up for hay so they remove the cuttings. I have mine made into hay so it gets better put to use and it really comes on after you cut it. I like to have a couple plots at different levels at all times so the deer always have plenty.

Speaking of fawns.... I am getting ready to plant buckwheat into 4’ Winter Rye. I’ll walk it first but those fawns don’t like to run until you almost step on them.

By: t-roy

Agreed, RIT! You definitely practically have to step on them sometimes. I actually killed one in that plot pictured above, last spring while mowing. Made me sick to my stomach:-(

Date:30-May-20

Nothing worse than mowing a fawn. It's awful.

RIT - interesting technique about soaking up the N with grains!

Date:31-May-20

Checked my plot today & its flowering. Should I cut it now??

By: Hunt98
Date:03-Jun-20

What are you using to cut your clover?

Would much rather have wheat and rye in a clover plot soaking up N than grassy weeds.

Some good looking plots in this thread!

Would much rather have wheat and rye in a clover plot soaking up N than grassy weeds.

Some good looking plots in this thread!

Date:04-Jun-20

In bow hunting world magazine Jason snavely recommends not mowing at all. You get 20% more biomass by leaving it. I have one smaller 1/3 acre plot that I’m gonna leave to try it this year. I need all the food I can get they eat me out of house and home

Date:04-Jun-20

flyingbrass's embedded Photo

Date:08-Jun-20

I'm cutting my clover plot with an LS tractor & 6' brush hog.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.