Inshart 02-Feb-20
Tlhbow 02-Feb-20
Stressless 02-Feb-20
Stressless 19-Feb-20
Stressless 19-Feb-20
t-roy 19-Feb-20

Date:23-Sep-19
Stressless's Supporting Link

Hope the GIF works! I put in a 1/4 acre plot in the middle of a wooded ridge. Did the cutting in three days, total 12 hours work, one man, two buds came in and we cleared the brush and bunks 2 hours for three men. Then the tracked stump grinder (rented) for 8 hours) 2 hour shifts. After that 60# of rye and 12# of annuals -Radish, turnip and clover, then 1000# pellitized lime.

Wanted to post the time and material to add a plot for folks thinking about it.

The Link to timelapse movie shows the entire process.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp5f8ogpww6e7n7/Spoil%20Food%20Plot.m4v?dl=0

Best Stressless

By: t-roy
Date:23-Sep-19

I can’t get it to work for me, stressless. It’s probably me :-(

By: BTP
Date:24-Sep-19

I watched it, good stuff, thanks for putting it together.

I'm curious, I have a recently logged gum tree grove of stumps. Probably 100 8-10" stumps. How long did it take to grind out a stump with the rented grinder?

I'm debating doing it myself vs paying a a$$ load of money to get a excevator in there.

T-Roy - Copy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp5f8ogpww6e7n7/Spoil%20Food%20Plot.m4v?dl=0

and paste into a browser url window. It should play.

BTP, figure 8-10 solid hours, sweetgum is a softwood and it'll be easy on the grinder. We did 2-2 1/2 shifts on the grinder and it went really well. Def get a self propelled. the one I got had tracks and that was a subtle blessing.

Had to get the wife’s help (I’m an idiot)!

Didn’t take very long for some deer to show up. What was the rental costs on the grinder?How deep did you grind the stumps? What types of trees did you cut down? Looking forward to see how it turns out for ya!

Date:25-Sep-19

How big of a stump will that grinder handle?

Stressless's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is the "Before" pic...

well here we go again LoL - this is the size type price

https://holmesrentalandsales.com/stump-grinder-vermeer-40hp/

Then lookup YouTube videos - that's what I did.

40 HP track diesel stump grinder. Holmesrental are great folks, One day Sat Rental, I pay yo have them drop off and pick up, means dropoff Sat AM, they come pickup Monday AM.

That Beast ate a number of 20+ Sugar Maples up to 26", LOTS of wild cherry to 30" no oaks or hickroy.

NOTICE the PPE we had on - YOU NEED THIS!

Was a blast and had fun thru hard work. Opened up a Old Buck Magnet in a very desirable location, about $500 for Seed, Rental, Lime and buttload of sweat equity.

Pro Tips: Cut the stumps as close to the ground as possible. Two edged sword, takes longer to cut and resharpen blades / less time with the grinder. sometimes significant time.

This is the after... Just over 1/4 acre N-S orientation

Any additional plans for this spot in the future? Feathering, hinge cutting, etc? Do you think this spot going to get adequate sunlight for what you’re planting in there?

T-Roy Good questions,

The pic below is a exact plot, the width and orientation 20 yards and N-S, are exactly what I'm been blogging in this forum from 2017. Located here - http://www.bowsite.com/DB/forums/thread.cfm?forum=4&threadid=462057&MESSAGES=76&FF=4

I will hinge cut about 30 yards at the NW corner as that's the most likely avenue of approach by the deer.

As stated all annuals this fall and plan to frost seed and add another 1000# pellitized lime this spring. Frost seed a mix of perennial, inoculated Birdsfoot trefoil, red and white clover and chicory.

Lots of work, but that plot looks good. Hope the other one does as well.

Date:01-Feb-20

If they are professional in offering tree removal services then much manpower is not required at all because two men can easily remove the tree with the help of stump grinder.

What was the cost to rent a stump grinder for a full day?

By: LKH

My brother still owns the 80 acres of Northern MN land my grandfather cleared with horses in the 1915-20's. I can't imagine how happy he would have been with a grinder.

BTP. Rent a small dozer for those 8-10” stumps. I own a grinder and a dozer. I would never consider that job with my grinder. I can pop those stumps In about 3 minutes on the dozer and then push them all off the plot. Grinding them is fast but positioning them is slow and frustrating. Trust me on this.

t-roy's embedded Photo

Agree with Pat on grubbing them out vs grinding them. One and done instead of dealing with them if you ever till the ground. You might look at renting a skid loader and a stump bucket over a dozer. Might be considerably cheaper and easier to operate if you’re not that experienced operating such equipment. Depending on the species, 8”-10” trees are not a problem to remove with a stump bucket. There are exceptions. Hickory trees SUCK!! They have a tough tap root that is a bitch to get out unless the tree has been dead for a year or two, then they’re not too bad. A stump bucket is an awesome accessory for a skid.

Date:02-Feb-20

Very nice!! Be careful though as this work is addicting. I will bet that you are already planning the next one. My chainsaw is going to see a lot of action in the next few weeks.

How deep did you grind? I'm guessing you aren't going to till?

I would like to do the same thing, only I want to till, so thinking I'll need to remove the stumps.

By: Tlhbow

A self propelled stump grinder should eat up a 10" stump 6" below the surface in around 10 to 15 minutes each. I use a leaf blower and take to get dirt away from the stump usually cutting within a couple inches of surface.

Stressless's Supporting Link

full day rental cost $260 cheap. I have very little soil up on that ridge so I didn't want to lose it with a dozer.

I switched to this forum as it's a PITA to post a decent blog on this one. The story pics and a video of it to see and read are here _

This is the plot from the stand

Date:19-Feb-20

current situation...

Rye beat down to chin high, just blew the plot and frost seeded.

Looks like they’ve got it grubbed down pretty good! Have you done your frost seeding yet?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.