rmich10 30-Oct-19
LKH 30-Oct-19
t-roy 30-Oct-19
LKH 30-Oct-19
t-roy 30-Oct-19
APauls 30-Oct-19
weekender21 02-Nov-19

Date:05-Sep-19

It figures!Planted 3 plots totaling 5 acres Saturday in WVA. Oats, wheat, peas and a few brassicas with some red and white clover. No rain and none in the forecast. How are the rest of you fairing with rain?

rmich10's MOBILE embedded Photo

Looks great. We have all been there!

Keep the faith.

Dry in ETexas. Ain’t gonna plant this year until a couple weeks from now, my usual plant days were about a week ago. No rain in sight until 19/20 of September.

By: t-roy

We keep getting missed here the last several weeks, a couple of times by less than 3 miles. An inch or two would certainly cure a lot of ills.

Look at the bright side, the turkeys thank you. :^) Sorry about your luck. God Bless men

By: Ben

Here in eastern Kansas we had over 6" in one night last week. We have had twice the yearly normal this year. Really spotty with you getting very little. Bright side is it hasn't rotted in the ground and with some moisture it will come on good just a little later in the year. Some bean fields around us were planted twice and still look poor, hopefully they will have time to "make" before frost.

Date:06-Sep-19

T-Roy, same here. Been missed twice by less than 5 miles

Date:06-Sep-19

My plots have been ready to plant for over a week, but I refuse to plant until there is some hope of rain. Dorian missed me. 40% chance next Tuesday. Planting with no rain is just feeding turkeys.....and other birds.

Date:19-Sep-19

Well , Im into day 20, no rain. Plots look exactly same as above other than about 10 percent germination from morning dew. Maybe a half inch coming Monday. Fingers crossed. Gonna throw a 100 lb per acre of rye on top Sunday just to be safe.

I was lucky and got my last 3 fall plots planted on Aug 30th, just in the nick of time prior to the very last rain we've had. In this heavier bottom-land soil I think these fall plots will be fine, as long as it rains again sometime fairly soon. Here's one of the radish plots as of yesterday...not looking too bad, but needs more rain within the next few days.

"Dry in ETexas. Ain’t gonna plant this year until a couple weeks from now, my usual plant days were about a week ago. No rain in sight until 19/20 of September."

Drycreek, bet you haven't planted yet - hope not. Looks like it came a couple days early. Too much too soon! Hope you are okay down there!

By: Shawn

Planted rye, winter wheat and pasture mix 3 weeks ago here in mid NY and not a drop of rain since. Been real dry for two months! Shawn

t-roy's embedded Photo

Since my last post on here on September 5th, we’ve gotten plenty of rain (almost too much) Things are looking pretty good here now.

dakotahunter's embedded Photo

No drought here in South Dakota. My best stand...

1 rain event all summer and really bad EHD outbreak. Summer of 2019 sucks

Date:20-Sep-19

FrigidArrows's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have also been dealing with too much rain. That and cool temperatures, highs barely reaching 60 for two weeks. One week of 80s, Sun, and wind has really cause the plot to take off, and dry out. Should be a great magnet this fall, as well as food source through the winter.

All you can see of the food plots here in SD are the tassels on top of the corn. You're more likely to see walleyes in the food plots than deer!

I LOVE walleye backstraps!!

Nest time you come through town I'll hook you up t-roy!

DEAL! :-)

Based on the next 10 day forecast I don't think we will have received more than a sprinkle on our place in western NC the entire month of September. Huge difference compared to 2018.

Date:21-Sep-19

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

For the first time ever, my fall plots look like crap. I know why and I'm trying to fix it now. But it may be too late. This is the driest I've ever experienced it here. The spring was a saturated mess, it dried out in summer and I put my plots in on 8/10. It's been bone dry since and my fall plots are mostly bare dirt. The other problem is that I put down my fertilizer when I tilled both my spring and fall plots in May. We had so much rain that I think my fertilizer leached through our loam soil and now my plots have very little water, and very little fertilizer. I am spreading it now but it's a desparation move. My foot plot review next spring will not be impressive.

On the flip side, my spring plots including corn and beans are fantastic. I have a trail cam photo of 5 bears heading into the cornfield two nights ago. My biggest problem is keeping those bastards from knocking over all of my cameras!

By: lewis

Drier than a popcorn fart in TN.my fall plots are really hurting plus not a very good mast crop and no rain in sight Lewis

By: Shawn

Pat same here and I am 10 miles south of Albany. Really no soaking rains since mid June here. Shawn

Supposed to get .1 to .25" Monday. Would you guys add 100 rye per acre? Is that enough to make it germinate. NO rain after Monday for 5 to 7 days. Season open the 28th.

drycreek's embedded Photo

We had a tropical disturbance come through the middle of this week, so my buddy and I started at daylight Tuesday and finished up Wednesday morning on 6 plots with wheat, rye, and medium red clover. Got 2.25” here at home, I’m hoping we got at least that much at the lease. I planted two plots at home this morning while the ground still had some moisture. Hoping for another rain in a couple weeks but who knows.

All plots flooded and dead. Yay!! Check Dakotahunters photo and you get the picture. Second year in a row.

Rye germinates fairly easy if it can hold the moisture, cool mornings and dew help it some but I would really like a steady rain for a day or so. Maybe an inch spread out over that time. We drilled our rye cause it was so dry broadcasting was not an option! Shawn

Date:22-Sep-19

Nothing forecasted for western NC through 01 October. Predicting the only thing that survives in my plots will be the native weeds and MRC that was already growing.

Date:23-Sep-19

I will say this. The blend I put in Aug 30 had some rape in it. NO rain to date only dew and I have rape growing with 3 inch leaves. That is some drought tolerant stuff! Glad I got my turnips and radish in late July. May have something to hold them in December muzzle.

Date:25-Sep-19

bfisherman11's embedded Photo

I planted my own mix of chicory, oats and field beans back in I think late July. 2 days later we got 3" of rain, a real gully washer too. I had rolled my seeds in and had some good trash from the dead plants I had killed prior to disking. I was shocked the next day to actually see some bean seed starting to pop open. The Chicory held in part I think because it is a small seed and the trash from the dead plants. I got lucky and it is growing well. The deer have eaten most of the bean plants, I was holding off mowing the weeds because it would cut the beans too short but now that the deer have taken most of them out I think I can get in there and just mow at my max height.

I took this picture last month.

No drought here, we have been getting plenty rain in Crawford Co. Wi

Bill

Date:26-Sep-19

Great looking chicory. Damn.

Date:27-Sep-19

I got my plots in the weekend after Labor Day with rain predicted for the next week... nah, nothing. It hasn't rained here since, and in the 90's every day, dry, dry, dry. Got a small shower day before yesterday and saw some stuff barely starting to sprout. Hancock's Fall & Winter Mix (grain rye, oats, winter peas, purple top turnip, clover, chicory, radish, sugar beets). Also put in a chicory plot. Now I'm worried because forecast is for another week of 95+ days and no rain. The worries of a gentleman farmer.

Thanks Pat. You can easily see the Oats and some bean plants in there. Unfortunately now I have to get in there and mow because I have some invasive weeds. This was just the first year for this plot. I expect that chicory to thicken up a bit next year. The local deer herd loves chicory so I put that in both my plots. Ha, I also like that t is a perennial so it will last a few years.

Bill

By: KHNC

WNC got pounded by rain all summer! Im kind of glad we are finally getting a break from rain every other dang day.

Date:28-Sep-19

Phopkins's embedded Photo

We got 13 3/4" of rain yesterday and last night, others got less 30 to 50 miles away. We were right in the heaviest band just north of Peoria illinois. Good thing the new house is up on a bench, not down in the flat. Food plots should be okay, but the brassicas don't like that much water. When the sun comes out Monday and it gets up to 85 hopefully it fries up fast enough to finish making turnip and radishes!

By: r-man
Date:28-Sep-19

Very bad and dry here as well , SC , deer dont even leave tracks , soils just a dry powder now. Glad I dont have a fall plot this yr

Date:30-Oct-19

All is well in WV now. Grains have finally taken off after rains 2 weeks ago.

By: LKH

Rain! Rain!. Negative 4 right now (and yes, that's Fahrenheit) and 6" snow on the ground. We've had over 32" so far this year and my 5 acre pond is frozen. Deer were running around some but this morning it's mostly quiet.

Had hoped to spray and plant 45 acres but it doesn't look good.

What kind of sprayer tips do you have to run when it’s THAT cold, Larry??! ;-)

By: LKH

Just put it into a propane brush burner and have the wife sit on the back. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

I hear ya, Larry! They always think they have to drive!

By: APauls

Same here as the Dakotas for water in Manitoba. Was using a canoe to get to the stand and studying shot placement on swimming whitetails, but (thankfully??) it's so cold now that walking on top of that water will be modus operandi. Carp are in heaven swimming amongst the corn.

Date:02-Nov-19

We finally had a few drought busting fronts in western NC over the past few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything greened up. That rain was definitely welcome. It also basically went from summer to winter!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.