Food Plot Challenge #1- MacGyver Method
Food Plots
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
Osceola 31-May-19
Osceola 31-May-19
Osceola 31-May-19
Osceola 31-May-19
great white 31-May-19
longbeard 31-May-19
drycreek 31-May-19
drycreek 31-May-19
JohnMC 31-May-19
t-roy 31-May-19
bowhunter24 31-May-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
t-roy 03-Jun-19
Osceola 03-Jun-19
APauls 03-Jun-19
Osceola 04-Jun-19
Osceola 21-Jun-19
Habitat for Wildlife 21-Jun-19
t-roy 22-Jun-19
Osceola 22-Jun-19
Osceola 22-Jul-19
t-roy 22-Jul-19
Hancock West 22-Jul-19
Osceola 22-Jul-19

Date:31-May-19

Osceola's MOBILE embedded Photo

After looking at the following three pictures, answer the question: What best describes the objects in the picture?

a - box to hold a conibear for trapping raccoons b - the beginning of a planter c - a storage container for 2 1/2 gallon chemical jugs d - none or all of the above

The answer and the next post will occur on 6-3-19.

Picture #2

picture #3

b

B

B

B

By: JohnMC

E

By: t-roy

I call BS on the Macgyver aspects of this project! I see no evidence of any gum wrappers, paper clips, rubber bands, or duct tape.

Still, I’ll go with scoot’s answer “D” all or none of the above. Trick question, I’ll bet.

Is that how they make craft beer in Neb.?

Date:03-Jun-19

Answer to question #1: B

However, 50 points to t-roy as a true disciple of MacGyverism. The true heading for the Thread was supposed to be:

"Food Plot Challenge #1 - MacGyver Method without the use of any gum wrappers, paper clips, rubber bans, or duct tape." However, the title was too long and I had to truncate it.

See the following pictures.

I am going to try to use this antique steel wheel drill to plant corn. Hence the challenge.

Fact. This drill has twelve 7.5 inch rows. These rows will be designated row #1 through row #12.

Question #2: Assuming you want at least 20 inch rows, which rows of the drill will you use to keep the same distance between the rows on every pass?

A: rows 2, 5, 8, and 11

B: rows 1, 4, 7, & 10

C: rows 3, 6, 9, and 12

D: None or all of the above

I was under the assumption there would be NO math involved!!! Good thing I’ve got some points banked. I’ll say “A”—-2,5,8 & 11.

Math ain’t my strong suit, Osceola! Used to have a 4 row 30” planter and a 5 row sprayer boom. I was going to plant soybeans in 15” rows and leave the proper gaps for the 4 wheeler tires by disabling the corresponding planter boxes, so as not to needlessly drive over the beans. Somehow, I got off by one row. What a mess!!!....Alcohol was not a factor.

I have been looking for a 3 point 4 row planter for some time (at what I consider a reasonable price that is). Without one, I am forced to improvise.

Unfortunately, the next question deals with more math...will post it on Wednesday.

By: APauls

I'm gonna go with my own rule that says when a guy says alcohol wasn't a factor it usually was ;)

Date:04-Jun-19

A little back ground of why using a drill to plant corn. 1) I had been having problems with pigweed and Palmer Amaranth on this plot. Glysophate does not affect these plants anymore. I wanted to rotate the field into something I could use a herbicide to control those weeds. 2) There are 3 smaller gates go through to get to this plot. I could find no farmer with a planter small enough to fit through the gates. I would have had to tear out fence and replace gates if I wanted to hire it done. 3) I read articles on "Solid Seeding" corn. There are studies out there that show yields do not decline until corn rows narrow to less than 20 inches; however, the distance between kernels needs to be increased. I was shooting for 18 inches between seed. The hope is to develop a crop canopy sooner. I was concerned about seed spacing since this is, at best, a "controlled spill." I was also concerned with seed depth as ideally, all corn should emerge, grow and tassel at the same time for best results. In the field prep, I set the disk to go no deeper that 2" so the drill would most likely not be able to penetrate the harder soil deeper than 2 inches and I hopefully would acheive uniform seed depth.

Attached is a photo of the corn after it emerged. The field did get hit by hail last week which did not destroy it, but will stunt the growth. I believe this method, while not ideal, will bear satisfactory results. I will update with additional pictures as the year progresses so you can decide for yourself.

Date:21-Jun-19

Update on the drilled corn. So far, I am happy with the weed control. Corn looks good. For dry land in this area, the population may be a little thicker than I wanted.

Next update in 3-4 weeks.

Date:21-Jun-19

Looks good!

Date:22-Jun-19

MacGyver would be proud of ya, Osceola! Looks pretty nice, even after getting hailed on. Hard to tell in the pic, but how did your spacing between plants turn out (uniform spacing?) and approximately how many inches between plants? We’re you able to achieve consistent depth with your planter? What chemicals did you use for your weed control? Pigweed, water hemp and Palmer Amaranth are a major problem for me as well. Fortunately, they’re easier to control in corn.

Date:22-Jun-19

The seed spacing is not uniform, especially when compared to a planter. With the 22 inch rows, I was shooting for 18 inches between kernels for this dry land. On average, I would gestimate seeds are 10 to 12 inches apart. Rain fall has been very good and if that continues, I am not too worried about putting down more seed than desired. There are spots where several live plants are only inches apart. I am curious how much that will affect ear size/growth.

I evidently got consistent seed depth as almost all the plants emerged at the same time. I think setting the disk at 2" max depth really helped as my light drill should not have been able to penetrate much deeper than the disk depth.

I used Acuron as a pre- and post emergent. Immediately after planting, (before germination), I put down 1 1/2 quarts with 1/3 quart nonionized surfactant per acre. Four weeks later (after germination), I put down a second application of the same mix. So far, there is no signs of weeds, it is a very clean field.

Date:22-Jul-19

Corn is beginning to tassel and looks wonderful. Much of it is over 8 feet tall. I would say planting with the drill was a success.

Total of three acres planted. In the fall if I let the corn stand, I am afraid the deer will eat the corn off the stalk in short order. In October of so, I am planning on shredding to bust up the corn cobs and to bury some of the partial ears under trash so it takes longer for the deer to find corn?

What have others done?

I will brush hog mine in the fall, but not all at once. I think the deer like feeding on the ground more-so than standing corn, plus I think the the stover is attractive to them as well, especially the softer core of the cobs. They are very attracted to freshly cut corn fields, IMO.

t-roy nailed it. i'd leave it all up until Oct 15th, then bush hog a couple swathes every week or two. The big boys will hammer that corn late season when all the other fields have been picked over.

I will shred a little at a time in October. Thanks guys.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.