t-roy 09-May-19
BullBuster 09-May-19
BullBuster 09-May-19
t-roy 09-May-19
Tradmike 12-May-19
shane 13-May-19
BullBuster 13-May-19

Date:09-May-19

I have a plot that i plan to till up next week. After the next crop of weeds sprouts, i plan to spray, followed by seed drilling 2 weeks after that. How long after tilling do i need to wait to assure that most of the weeds have appeared and thus can be sprayed? thanks

Weeds germinate at different times so no way to get them all, especially after soil is tilled.

Biggest bang for buck is working on habitat and planting trees with great mast crops. Trees never stop giving and can provide shelter and food.

I think 50 fruit trees, 9 chestnuts, and 150 acres of firs, cedars and pines is enough trees at this point.

Why are you going to til and then drill? Unnecessary and will degrade the soil as well as bring up more weed seeds.

Skoo, I agree in general and don't like to till, but i want to smooth out the surface better because it is undulating too much, and i am going to plant Sainfoin, which is going to be hayed. Also want to get lime into the soil.

If you get rain shortly after tilling and the tempts are warm you should get a good germination on most of your weeds withing a couple of weeks. Before I stopped tilling I would spray twice (or more) to make sure I had a kill. One thing to remember; every time you till you bring new weed seed into the germination zone. If you can no-till or do throw-n-mow you can avoid this.

By: t-roy

What weeds are you trying to control? If mainly grasses, you could spray some type of grass killer(clethodim, etc) post emerged. Why not till your plot to smooth it out, wait for a couple weeks for the first flush of weeds to emerge, drill your sainfoin into the weed bed, wait a couple more days, then do your burn down before the sainfoin sprouts and emerges? That way, there aren’t any additional weeds to contend with that may have sprouted between the time that you sprayed and the 2 week window that you were thinking of waiting before planting. I’m assuming you’re using glyphosate for your initial burn down?

Mostly grasses but some other bad characters like dog fennel. Interesting idea t-roy. You sure the Sainfoin will be ok if i spray gly 2 or 3 days after drilling?

Mostly grasses but some other bad characters like dog fennel. Interesting idea t-roy. You sure the Sainfoin will be ok if i spray gly 2 or 3 days after drilling?

By: t-roy

You could spray right after drilling as well, if you don’t want to chance killing any sainfoin that sprouts right away. Just trying to kill as many weeds as possible, before your sainfoin emerges. Glyphosate is basically a contact killer. It has to be taken up into an actively growing plant. There is no residual issue with it staying in the soil and emerging plants coming in contact with it as they come up.

Date:12-May-19

U should spray 1st before tilling. If u use a No Till Drill u may not even need to till.

By: shane
Date:13-May-19

If you are using a no till drill, I would spray it then bushog it then burn it then drill it. If there is enough grass then I would not even bushog it just burn it. That is what we do and works really well.

Date:13-May-19

I would love to do what Shane and Tradmike suggested, but as i stated, i need to till in lime, and i need to groom the surface to flatten it because it is too rutted to hay well. I will be using a box scraper to smooth out after i disc in the lime. My seeder is semi no till, not a full on no till. Thanks for input y'all.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.