Habitat for Wildlife 10-Sep-20
Habitat for Wildlife 01-Oct-20
t-roy 01-Oct-20
Habitat for Wildlife 30-Nov-20

Date:23-Apr-19
Habitat for Wildlife's Supporting Link

I attached the link to the original thread on this. Recently received a PM asking for pictures of my results having broadcasted rye grain into standing beans, but unfortunately after posting the picture somewhere here I deleted it.

This Micro Project is going through some big changes, one of which will be broadcasting rye into standing beans at the end of summer. I thought documenting it here might be informative or useful.

This micro project is located on our 3.1 acre home lot in a rural development. Our property backs up to a creek drainage which is a natural travel corridor. I took advantage of this and planted a little over 1 acre of native grasses after a couple of years of food plot varieties to encourage wildlife to use the property.

Robin always had flower beds around and adjacent to the NG, which attracted birds, butterflies, deer and turkey. The last two years I have taken out all of the beds, upon her request, due to her knees not being able to perform all of the needed maintenance and upkeep.

The drop off in wildlife frequency has been noticeable. So, the project goes on! Here is the story as it unfolds throughout the summer into Fall.

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

In March I burned the NG as I do every year. The only portion, on the northern side nearest the drainage, is the portion that will be kept. This NG consists mostly of Eastern Gamma with a little Indian, Switch and Big Blue Stem.

Two thirds of the NG which was mostly Big Blue, Little Blue, Switch , Indian, Side Oats and forbs was tilled once after burning, and then a second time last week.

Here is the dramatic burn. When I lit this the wind was 5mph, but increased to 12 almost immediately. The NG was completely surrounded by green fescue and so the fire remained contained.

The drainage is on the right, our pole barn and home are on the left, up the hill.

This is the aftermath of the burn, which was hot enough to eliminate all of the "trash".

800 lbs. of lime and 500 lbs. of triple 13 fertilizer were spread on the a little over .75 acres before the second tilling.

The plan is to till this again right before planting RR soybeans in May. When the bean leaves start to turn I will broadcast rye grain and a white/red clover mix into the standing beans, trying to time this right before a rain. I will frost seed more white clover in February, weather permitting, next year.

The intent is to have this be a clover plot which should help attract some deer and birds back to our property. Bees should also like it since most of the flowers are now gone. I am planting RR soybeans so I can spray a couple of times this year. This should eliminate most of the weed competition helping the clover get a better start. Fall plantings of clover have worked better for me than Spring plantings, the clover roots need as much time as possible before the above ground grows vigorously.

I will try and keep this updated with pictures so you can see the results first hand. This is a small bean patch, but the deer only really use this property when moving along the creek drainage. At one end of the drainage is a nursery surrounded by agriculture, and all agriculture with cover at the other end. I planted beans once before and they were not over-browsed.

I will also take a deer or two this fall if the results show that is possible. We have been doing this micro-habitat management in our yard since 2002 when we first purchased it. I hunted once in 2007 and harvested a doe. I hung a stand last year and harvested two does. Other than that the property has not been hunted, but it is very enjoyable walking out our back door and settling in to a pre-hung stand, especially as I have aged:)

But, the main purpose besides helping the wildlife is being able to sit on our screened-in porch and watch the wildlife. So, if the hunting causes only nocturnal use, I will pass on hunting.

By: t-roy

Looking forward to following along on your progress, Frank. Not many things much more enjoyable than getting your own dirt under your fingernails!

Date:25-Apr-19

Troy,

Thanks. The only thing better for me would be getting some of that rich Iowa dirt under my fingers!

Last year I had a hen nest in this small patch of NG. It wasn't that long ago that biologists believed turkeys needed large expanses of timber to thrive, so either they were mistaken or turkey are learning to adapt. I wonder if this hen is the same one as last year's? She will be disappointed to learn most of the NG is gone.

From this picture you can see some of the homes on our cul-de-sac. We are on 3-12 acre lots, but they look closer here due to the cul-de-sac. It is amazing to me what a little habitat management can do, bringing wildlife in this close.

I just put my cameras out as I started this project. Deer are 100% nocturnal right now on this property, but I suspect that will change after plants start to grow. For nearly a decade I have had a doe drop one of her two fawns along the creek on my property. Hope I did not harvest her last year, LOL.

This should be fun, I hope!

Thanks again.

Date:07-May-19

Sitting on our patio last evening and a big doe came on to our property and used the mineral licks. At least three different prints at the lick site.

You can see that the tilled area had some growth, and so I sprayed yesterday with a two percent solution of gly.

I used this "home built" sprayer that I pieced together with a 4.1gpm sprayer. It works great for small jobs.

I'll be following HFW. I always enjoy your habitat improvement work.

“The only thing better for me would be getting some of that rich Iowa dirt under my fingernails!”

Come on up, Frank! I’ll put you to work on some of my projects. I wouldn’t even charge ya anything! ;-)

Great stuff!

Keep us updated!

Mark

Thanks Troy. I know I would learn from you as well!

Thanks guys.

Date:08-May-19

It appears that at least 3 bucks and 4 does are using the property, some during the daylight now. At least one doe is pregnant,

Date:12-May-19

Thought I would share some of Robin's pictures of what the gardens used to look like. These have all been removed! It is a, you know what, to get old.

The amount of hummingbirds, butterflies and other wildlife these flower beds enticed into using our yard was phenomenal. Hopefully a clover plot will bring some of them back. I have several deer tracks cutting through the tilled area, no doubt scavenging the yard for what used to be!

What do you think? 150 class by hunting season:)

In the 100-200 class for sure.

Date:14-May-19

LOL Bull!

I started this thread because someone asked me about broadcasting rye into standing beans. I posted this picture on another thread and realized this monster was standing in that field. You can see the standing beans. By November, the beans looked like they were planted in green carpet because the rye was thick.

Date:16-May-19

The Eastern Gamma grass is doing great with this wet weather. The potential for high seed production looks promising.

Deer are really visiting right now. If the rain holds off, I will try and till one more time and plant the beans tomorrow.

Winter rye broadcast into standing beans is nothing short of phenomenal:

-The rye is about the last plant to stay green in the fall and the first to green up in the spring

-Rye is very good for weed suppression as well

Mark

Mark,

Thanks, great point about the weed suppression! Rye also builds the soil pulling nutrients from down below to a depth your next season's plants can take advantage of. I like it much better than wheat as a cereal cover grain, and I have noticed no difference in whitetail preference really.

Thanks again.

Date:17-May-19

Ok, tilled once again, broadcasted 100lbs. Of soybeans and then used my 8'X4' drag harrow to cover them.

Went heavy on the seed for a number of reasons...

Broadcasting requires more seed as the planting depth is not consistent, it is a small plot so some will be lost to deer and rabbits, because of weather I am the first soybeans planted in the area so they will be targeted, and the 4 does/3 bucks are visiting nightly. This is more than we have had in the past.

PH and fertility are good. My cultipacker is at the farm but we are expecting heavy rains and if they develop that should do the trick.

Meant to add, Robin and I were sitting on the patio Wednesday evening and a bobcat came out of the woods near the NG.

This reptile reminded me of the encounter. This was headed into the NG by our sign.

The picture of the plot above was taken from the West side, this is from the East side.

Robin’s flower garden was gorgeous! Too bad her knees won’t allow her to continue maintaining it. She obviously has a green thumb!

Can you elaborate a little on your Gamma grass? Looks like it is doing great. How was it established? Reason for planting it? Etc.

What’s the game plan if the big rascal in the trail cam shows up in your beans/rye field this fall?!?

Thanks Troy. Yes she does have a green thumb. She will need at least one knee replacement down the road.

EG does better in moist soil, and being a low area near the creek it is thriving. I established it by broadcast method also. It is not a chaffy seed, so it is planted about .25-.50" depth. It took three years of stratification before I had enough plants to know it was going to work.

The big boy above was harvested in 2017. But, I had a ten pointer, 150 class, using this plot last year. He made it through rifle season and I had him on camera in January. I will be more excited to catch my first fawn picture of the year.

What's the point of the Gamma grass? erosion control?

Yes Bull, but also cover for some birds, rabbits and obviously reptiles. I like the looks of it as it greens up much quicker than the other NG. And last year as it first started to emerge, the deer were really consuming it. Not so much this year, they must of had other food available.

Date:18-May-19

It is raining nicely right now!

I believe this is the same doe, and over the last 6 days she really is showing. With any luck I should have some fawn pictures within a few weeks.

I think this guy came all the way up to our back patio from the plot area just to say "thanks". LOL.

Date:20-May-19

We planted numerous oaks, most white with a few reds on our property soon after purchasing it in 2001. Of the 400 acres our development consists of, only two oaks were found originally. We have over 25 left on our property. It appears mast production may be good this year given the small acorns already starting to show.

About 10 years ago I collected a five gallon pail of acorns from our farm. I hand tossed them along the 5 miles of walking trails in our development. It worked enough to make it worthwhile.

Habitat management, some things a person won't live long enough down here to see the fruits of their labor.

Date:21-May-19

I dumped the rain gauge yesterday at 1 1/8". We are over 3" since last night and it is still raining hard. The beans will probably be wash out, pun intended.

Pray for our farmers. Huge acreages that had anhydrous spread for corn planting will not be in corn, maybe not even Milo or soybeans in the low areas. Hopefully nature will provide enough bounty.

Date:23-May-19

Over 6" since planting. This could be a banner year for antler development in this area. The bucks are hitting the mineral daily. The does still look pregnant.

Date:24-May-19

One week to the day, the beans are coming up. We are expecting even more rain, so we will have to wait and see what happens.

The EG could not be doing better. The seed production looks to be outstanding!

I put 100 lbs of corn seed in a feeder. Hopeful that this will take pressure off of the beans. No beans have been planted in the AG fields to our east and west. We still have at least 4 deer visiting nightly, the pregnant doe and the three bucks. They could easily wipe out the beans before they get started.

I did not use inoculate on the beans as I had beans in there 11 years ago. Hopefully enough of the proper bacteria is still present, the corn works to take some pressure off, the weather cooperates etc. LOL, plots can break your heart.

Date:28-May-19

Just arrived back from a bear hunt in Canada with Sleeve Lake Outfitters. Second year in a row of an outstanding experience!

Beans have made it in spite of 8" of rain since planting. A bigger problem, deer tracks every where. Hopefully the heavy seeding will help enough survive. Broadcasting beans works, you do not need an expensive seeder.

You should place a utilization cage on that plot

That's a good idea. Thanks.

These two bucks might end up with some interesting racks.

It’s been a challenging spring, weather wise here as well, Frank.

Congrats on your successful bear hunt as well!

Date:29-May-19

Thank you Troy. I took my bear as soon as possible as Buddy 3 was waiting to be picked up.

Hope the weather improves for every one!

Date:29-May-19

The EG has loads of seed pods!

The beans were not hit last night. I think our deer observations increased recently because we have been dogless since November 6th. It will be interesting to see if the pictures slow down since we have a new dog.

Date:31-May-19

I think one of the does may have dropped her fawn(s). She is skinny, and this picture captured her going into the EG grass. This morning when I took a walk around the plot with my new pup, Buddy, a doe was standing there and kept an eye on me and did not want to move away.

This buck will be interesting to keep an eye on if he continues to keep coming back. So far no new tracks in the beans, which is good!

Date:04-Jun-19

They are using the beans.

Date:05-Jun-19

This snapper was in the beans this morning.

The EG has podded better than I have ever witnessed on our plot.

Beautiful! Do you see a lot of deer use in your EG grass? I've always viewed it as a good cattle plant but didn't give it much thought for deer (I've worked aggressively to spread it on the place, just for different reasons).

Thank you.

I believe a fawn is in the EG right now, but deer do not really consume much grass. (EG is related to corn.)

I really appreciate your efforts as a rancher to increase NG use. I know this is a goal nationwide, but there is a big learning curve.

Date:06-Jun-19

The beans today after .5" of rain last night.

By: Ambush
Date:06-Jun-19

You can always see the result in the work if the person takes pride in it and joy from it. Definitely a labor of love!

Tomorrow I'm going to roundup a small piece that never grows anything but weeds, no matter what I throw in it. My plan is to kill it, till it and kill it again then put in rye and hope for better results next year. I wish I had your commitment and knowledge.

Date:07-Jun-19

Thanks Ambush. Good luck with your plot. If you can't grow rye grain there I don't know what to say. Have you done a soil sample?

Just last night 4 different deer are using the beans. The crops close by have not been planted yet. But, they are also using the corn so that is taking some pressure off of the beans.

I definitely have a fawn down there. She goes from the timber to the EG, and now I have 2 coyotes down there looking for that fawn. They are smelling where she walked. The buck is probably going to be a decent one.

One doe is still carrying, she has some girth to her now.

Date:09-Jun-19

Date:12-Jun-19

This doe is going to her fawn bedded under the large cedar on the left side of the picture.

The yote is doing his business in the mineral lick. Is he sending a message?

2:07 PM I am sitting down on the bench near my food plot with Buddy my new puppy at my feet. He barks twice, and standing less than 25 yards away is the doe coming to feed her fawn. How cool is that!

Very cool Frank !!!!! Keep up the good work !!!

Date:15-Jun-19

Chris, thank you.

Buddy and I returned from our morning walk on the trails around our community. We came back onto our property and a doe is standing in my beans. I just kept walking to the house, pausing only long enough to snap this picture, and she went to her fawn in the EG. I still have not got a picture of the fawn, but love that the doe is comfortable enough to keep using our small property.

Date:15-Jun-19

The feeder seems to be working at keeping the pressure off of the beans so far. Most of the deer pictures are at the feeder and not with the cameras on the beans.

This is the same doe as above. I think those are some huge ticks on her ears.

Date:19-Jun-19

We still have four different bucks visiting regularly. The beans are really stressed as we have not had any measurable rain in nearly three weeks. I need to spray RU but know a good kill will not happen under current conditions.

By: Will
Date:19-Jun-19

Nice work Frank - looks like a well thought out plan, working well!

Date:20-Jun-19

Will, Thank you. It's a work in progress. I am constantly learning, that's for sure!

Date:21-Jun-19

We are receiving some good, unexpected rain right now. I spot sprayed RU yesterday from the perimeter, not wanting to drive over the stressed plants.

Date:21-Jun-19

Nice!

Date:24-Jun-19

Thanks Charlie.

The deer are feeling very secure using this now. We sat on our patio with a couple of friends last evening after dinner, and what a treat, the doe came to the beans and her fawn came out and fed. Still no pictures. I will try and move a better camera where the fawn is coming out.

These two bucks were at the feeder this morning when I went on my walk with Buddy. The doe has walked by me for the third time as I sat on our bench down there. Buddy did not even bark the last two times, just wagged his tail.

3.5 inches of rain since Friday.

Date:25-Jun-19

Here's what the rain did to the beans. They exploded and filled in nicely. I sprayed gly with the ATV set-up above.

Date:25-Jun-19

Wow - the critters on your bit of heaven are going to be well fed Frank! Nice to see your labor coming to fruition!

Date:28-Jun-19

Thanks again Will.

The EG is over 7' tall. It is a great cover plant for fawn recruitment.

Everything is growing like a weed, Frank. Even the weeds! ;-)

Your beans really took off!

Date:29-Jun-19

That's true Troy, lol!

The EG is tall enough now that when Buddy and I go on our morning walk there are usually deer still down along the other side of the plot. They can't see us coming.

This is the big matriarch doe that has the fawn down there. She was at the feeder which we walk right by to access our community trails. I had time to take my phone out and snap a picture within 25 yards of her. She trotted off to about 70 and let us walk right on by.

This buck has a unique rack and is showing some character. An Injury?

Does are using this plot all day long. I have invited a young female hunter to use this plot this fall to help her get her first deer. I have decided this will be unethical for me to use since I have other good places to hunt that are not such a slam dunk. Also, they really are becoming pets, not sure I could shoot one unless our freezer was empty.

But, for someone with limited experience, learning to know when to draw, how to field dress etc. this is a good opportunity.

You’re a good man Frank !! And one hell of a habitat manager !!!

drycreek's embedded Photo

You got it going on there Frank ! I have a feeder just like that one, but I’m having a helluva time keeping the coons out. They climb the legs until they can get on the feed spouts. I put some “squirrel guards” on them this morning in hopes.......

Thanks Chris for your kind words!

Dry Creek, apply a liberal application of Vaseline to each leg, the entire length. That helps immensely.

Date:01-Jul-19

Sitting on the patio at 6PM and this doe walked the entire bean plot, munching. She is right against the EG so this gives a great idea on how tall it can get.

Date:02-Jul-19

July being the best month for antler growth, these ought to be some decent racks by September.

Date:05-Jul-19

Over 2.5" of rain in the last 36 hours. The beans are holding up to some heavy grazing. This doe was in the beans at 2 today and the turkey earlier today.

Date:11-Jul-19

Heavy grazing on the beans nightly. 4 deer were in them at dusk two evenings ago. So far they are handling the pressure. They started to flower yesterday.

This is the only fawn picture so far, yet I believe there are two fawns in the NG. I have at least one coyote almost nightly on camera so I think the does are keeping the fawns hidden still.

This buck is unique and will be fun to see in hard horn. The big typical has disappeared for the last 4 nights.

Date:11-Jul-19

The grass was mowed yesterday to a height of 4". This gives a good view of how tall the beans are.

Date:18-Jul-19

Continues to add inches.

Date:18-Jul-19

The beans are all a solid deep green now. I think their growth may be near the end and pod production may start soon. We need some rain!

Date:21-Jul-19

First time in over two weeks the typical is back. He was with the non-typical again last night. I think he moved on when the beans that were planted in the large agriculture fields to the east and west of us emerged. The more tender young beans are more attractive than mine which were planted much earlier due to weather.

We did receive .25" of rain last night!

Date:23-Jul-19

On our morning walk Buddy and I ran into two hens and a gaggle of poults. It was neat.

One hen took her poults to a stand of native grass I planted for a neighbor 5-6 years ago. A small victory!

This was planted on very marginal soil and has taken really until this year to produce a good stand. Big Bluestem, my favorite, is starting to dominate.

Date:26-Jul-19

The growth continues. The fawn is finally showing up. I believe one of the fawns did not make it,

Beautiful property you have there...you define the term "a labor of love"...looks like it's paying off, too!

Pictures did not load above?

Thank you SF.

Good stuff Frank !!!!

Date:29-Jul-19

Thanks Chris.

This guy gets more impressive every day. I hope Candace gets a shot at him.

We received almost another inch of rain last night! I could not have asked for a better stand!

Love it, Frank! Enjoy following along. I need a tractor, BAD! :)

Thanks Rick! Tractors are not really necessary, but they make it more fun!

Here are some more pictures I think that may be of interest...

There are a few Bunches of Big Bluestem, Indian and Switch Grass in with the EG.

Notice these weeds, forbs, on the edge of the beans and how they have been clipped on by deer, proving they really are browsers preferring variety of diet.

Fantastic job with the plot..more importantly it's obvious reading between your words and seeing the pics ....you are a happy man!! Good for you,,,you've created a deer magnet...

Date:02-Aug-19

Thank you Patrick.

We had another .75" of rain over the last two days, very gentle, no run-off. There are plenty of pods forming. The plants are tall and dark green.

Date:07-Aug-19

Have not seen the big boys together for awhile.

Date:07-Aug-19

Looks like you are in for a fun season Frank! The plot looks unreal... and those bucks are awesome too :)!

Date:08-Aug-19

Thanks Will.

Nature giveth and taketh. High winds came through with a storm yesterday and pushed over a lot of beans.

Date:26-Aug-19

Date:26-Aug-19

We have had unbelievable moisture through August. The amount of pods per stalk have caused some plants to lay over.

Date:27-Aug-19

Stand is up, ready for a first time stand hunter hoping for her first deer. She will start practicing soon, a 3D deer target is back there to practice from.

Date:01-Sep-19

Here is Candace practicing yesterday. She is excited, and so is her father who took the picture and sent it to me.

Date:05-Sep-19

Beans look great, Frank! Can you send a little of that rain my way?? We keep missing out on it :-(

Date:05-Sep-19

Looks like a lot of great work Frank - nice! Good luck to you, but especially to Candace. Getting that first deer is a special day for sure! When do things open up out there?

Date:09-Mar-20

Thought I should up date this, but I had to find it on Google first. I must not know how to use the BS Search function.

Candace never harvested a deer. The plot saw plenty of action though. I will go back and post a couple of pictures from my phone after this thread "pops" back to the top.

This picture was taken after I burned the NG this past Friday and mowed the beans. Deer are eating the bean seeds scattered all over from the mowing, and nibbling on the rye grain which just started growing again. Ladino clover was seeded two weeks ago. We might get some volunteer beans, if the clover comes in strong I will leave it as a clover plot, otherwise I will turn the soil near the end of August and plant rye grain, oats, winter peas, crimson clover, ladino, winter bulbs and sugar beets.

The rye grain broadcasted as the beans started to yellow did great.

This is after the beans were mowed.

And the cycle begins again. The Eastern Gamma grass was burned Friday, and the burn was really hot!

t-roy's embedded Photo

It’s definitely gettin to be that time of the year again, for sure, Frank. Curious as to why you are adding sugar beets in your mix if you’re planting in late August? For the tops, or do you get enough growth for them to build a bulb?

Going to be doing some MCM burning on some CRP up here in a couple of weeks as well.

Love to burn!

Troy, if I have well fertilized soil the Mossy Oak Winter Bulbs and Sugar Beets do well with a late August planting.

Have fun!

Date:16-Mar-20

The deer are feeding heavily on the cut beans, using this even more than before. The rye is also being clipped. Came out for my walk this morning and these five deer were just leaving. A group of them is spending the entire night it seems. Deer droppings and beds in the lawn all around the plot.

Date:22-Mar-20

Some bucks still holding one side.

Still a ton of usage.

The usage includes predators, a pair about every night.

Date:28-Apr-20

And the cycle begins again, new growth on the bucks, pregnant does. I installed a new feeder and this is much better at reducing coon use.

Rye grain broadcasted over the beans came in thick. Clover coming in slowly.

This is not my picture, LOL!

Eastern Gamma emerged and was burnt by a hard freeze but is coming back.

I see the beans in the skillet pic, but not the rye ;-)

Why is your new feeder setup helping in reducing your coon issues, Frank?

Troy,

They seem to not be able to climb the post as easy as the poles, and then there is nothing to hold onto once they get up there. Bank's makes it, and they have a sleeve to go around the post that makes it really tough for them to climb. I am going to bring home some larger diameter PVC pipe to do this from my farm.

Troy,

The rye is the tall grass to the left of the gamma.

Date:29-Apr-20

They removed the skillet picture, this is what I intended.

Date:29-Apr-20

I was wondering where it went, Frank! Things are taking off nicely!

Date:30-Apr-20

Thanks Troy. I actually seeded the rye too heavy! It is already heading out.

I think I will let the clover go through summer, but in August till it under and plant some peas, brassica, clovers and cereal grains for a winter food source.

Date:07-May-20

The rye came in way too thick, this was seeded over the standing beans.

Date:07-May-20

Where I missed broadcasting the rye, here is how the clover looks that was frost seeded this year.

Date:25-May-20

Updates on the rye and clover. Plots can be done with minimal equipment.

Gamma grass against the rye.

Based on pictures, a doe may have dropped her fawn in the rye. The one by the lick is still pregnant.

At least 5 different bucks are using the place now, and I think the big typical and non-typical from last year made it.

Date:29-May-20

Came out to walk Buddy this morning and a hen turkey was pecking the clover on the edge. She did not run away from us but just eased into the tall rye. Hopeful she has a nest in there.

Date:05-Jun-20

Water, forbs, clover, beans (We have quite a bit of volunteer beans from last year), mineral and corn can sure shrink the home range of deer.

Looks like the big typical and non-typical made it from last year.

Date:05-Jun-20

Date:07-Jun-20

This is the doe that we believe has a fawn in the tall rye. She is showing up every 3-4 hours or so.

Date:14-Jun-20

We have confirmed there is a hen nesting in the rye. These are pictures on different days.

There is definitely a fawn in there. We keep getting this doe coming several times throughout the day. Look at her udder.

Date:05-Jul-20

We mowed the rye grain on July 1st. I had it too thick in some spots, but overall the clover and volunteer beans are doing good. The fawn is still there, and the mom comes even when we are sitting out with Buddy. Pictures to follow.

Date:20-Aug-20

The clover after mowing. Spread 250 lbs of triple 13.

By: Djl
Date:27-Aug-20

Frank looking great. Thanks for update.

I just purchased a 3.16 acre piece with a creek running the south border and bedding/swamp across the creek. Thanks for the inspiration. A small orchard to be planted and a switchgrass planting this fall after I kill off some of the alfalfa. Most of the field is in alfalfa so I plan to keep some of it and let it run its course.

Date:10-Sep-20

Congrats on your land purchase! Best wishes. I wanted a creek on mine and looked for land for a long time. Had to settle for a pond. You will be pleased no doubt!

We have had some good steady rains over the last week. The bulbs and rye are filling in the bare spots, and the clover is thick and lush. Glad I did not till it under.

Not much use right now as acorns are falling on the adjoining nursery. But that takes pressure off the plot and hopefully will allow the winter bulbs time to develop some size.

EDIT: I forgot to post when I spread the fertilizer I added 3lbs of sugar Beets and winter bulbs.

Date:01-Oct-20

Two weeks after another mowing.

Date:01-Oct-20

Looks good, Frank! Amazing what a little rain will do. Been a struggle here in Iowa, this year.

Date:30-Nov-20

Thank you again Troy. Here are some pictures from the rut.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.