Bow Crazy 31-Mar-19
BOHUNTER09 31-Mar-19
Catscratch 31-Mar-19
t-roy 01-Apr-19
BOHUNTER09 01-Apr-19
Catscratch 01-Apr-19
Diesel 01-Apr-19

Date:31-Mar-19

Looking at planting some corn and soy beans in a 6 acre plot. Just wondering what everyone's favorite brand is.

What kind weeds do you have locally and what are they resistant to? The answer should get you a good start.

By: t-roy

Catscratch X2. Weed resistance issues are getting to be a big problem in many areas, especially in the grain belt.

Are you in ag country? If so, I’d suggest checking with your local PF chapter. Lots of times you can get free seed corn from them for wildlife plots. Also check with your Co-op or seed corn dealers in the area. Many times you can buy broken bags of seed corn at a steep discount as well sometimes they will have year old test plot seed bags that they are not allowed to sell. The drop on the germination rate on the year old seed corn is negligible. I haven’t had to buy seed corn for my plots in over 10 years.

Soybeans are a different story. Do NOT plant old soybeans. The germination rate goes way down on year old seed beans. I’ve had good results with Real World soybeans in the past few years, but I’m probably going to switch to Liberty Link beans due to glyphosate resistant weed issues, especially water hemp/pigweed.

QDMA Soybeans, a year old, germination test out to 90%. Mine did last year, and usually always do. The price is right too! Check with your local QDMA Branch for more info. BC

BOHUNTER09's embedded Photo

Just finished germination test on my year old soybeans. Still 90%

Liberty Link is what everyone here has turned to.

By: t-roy
Date:01-Apr-19

You don’t know how lucky you are, Pat! Water hemp is a nightmare here.

You guys have had better luck with old beans than I have. The germ tests on the old beans I planted were 65-70% at best.

I store mine in the basement below 70 degrees. I’m sure that helps maintain viability

To be honest, I've never minded low germination rates on old seed. I can always plant 30%-50% heavier (if it leads to saving significant money on seed purchases).

By: Diesel

Never had an issue with old corn seed germination, I routinely plant corn seed that is several years old and given to me by farmers. Soybean has been pretty low germination for me with anything a year or more old. Have planted RR Eagle Soybean for the last 10 years and it does well for us.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.