Trouble in ND
General Deer Topics
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
beemann 23-Mar-19
Huntcell 23-Mar-19
Trial153 23-Mar-19
keepemsharp 23-Mar-19
LKH 23-Mar-19
jmiller 23-Mar-19
jmiller 23-Mar-19
elvspec 23-Mar-19
beemann 23-Mar-19
Elite 1 24-Mar-19
Elite 1 24-Mar-19
t-roy 24-Mar-19
Elite 1 24-Mar-19
t-roy 24-Mar-19
Branden 24-Mar-19
Brotsky 24-Mar-19
Elite 1 24-Mar-19
LKH 24-Mar-19
APauls 25-Mar-19

Date:23-Mar-19

beemann's embedded Photo

Not sure what we will have left for a deer herd after this year. This is the main road outside of my place. We took a beating in 2016 in my area. Feel like it is going to be bad again.

It North Dakota. It normal. Get 4 inch in New York City or Washington DC and humanities very survival is at stake .

Snow like that in March is killer of wildlife

This will all be coming down the MO river and we are already in flood.

By: LKH

There's more coming. I live in central Montana on the Ross Fork Creek. Our water goes into the Missouri. Normally the Ross Fork is 20' across and can be waded in Muck boots.

Right now its up to 1,500' across, 6 feet deep in places and moving fast. The Ross Fork is a minor creek.

jmiller's embedded Photo

The deer are looking good in my area of SE ND. The winter was late coming in, if it had hit hard in November it would be dire.

jmiller's embedded Photo

Was just thinking about your neck of the woods this week. Planning another antelope trip to SD this year and was thinking about the harshness of the winter and how it might affect the herds. Guess it’ll be a wait and see when things clear.

We were doing ok till about mid Feb. But non stop winds and snow changed things in a hurry.

Date:24-Mar-19

Elite 1's embedded Photo

I’ve been feeding since December some look good others do not. What will hurt us the most is this springs fawn drop few twins if any at all. Been a horrible February so much snow and cold we will Definitely feel the effects of this winter!!’!

Elite 1's embedded Photo

This one won’t or can’t leave the yard. Mother Nature can be very Cruel at times. You can only do so much.

By: t-roy

That sucks for you guys :-( It’s a 2 edged sword with the snow. On one hand, hopefully you get a quick meltdown, but then you and others will have to deal with worse flooding issues.

Elite 1......what are you supplementally feeding the deer?

Alfalfa bales firest cut Corn and soybeans mixed with corn screenings I’ve been putting down trace mineral to if you think I am missing something please let me know.

By: t-roy

Sounds like a good mixture to me. Good on you for helping them out!

I was worried about the deer in western ND. It was cold from the end of January through the first week of March. And it seemed like every other day it would snow. But it was such a mild winter up until that point I think the deer fared pretty well overall. Eastern ND got a lot more snow though

I was pretty concerned about some of our deer and pheasants here in S.D. too. Finally got the pup out shed hunting today and he managed to find close to 100 pheasants live and well along with around 45-50 deer. No antlers but great to see the game doing so well!

Elite 1's embedded Photo

Thanks Troy me and my Neighbor both are here’s his heard we both stated with more but you can’t save them all once you start feeding you can’t quite. They get 4-5 gal pales everyday bale when needed.

By: LKH

If you are going to feed deer, don't wait until they are stressed. Start small early to get their systems used to the feed and expand as needed.

We had the same pretty much open winter you describe until the end of January and then it was very cold with a lot of snow. Now it's opening up. The late open winter allowed them to hit February in great shape.

I can see 50-70 deer from my recliner and I've been seeing fawns chasing each other for pretty long back and forth runs. They don't do that when stressed.

By: APauls
Date:25-Mar-19

We had the bad late winter here too, but November early December was great, and now that the sun and melting have started there is stuff opening up. They don't need much to open to find enough to survive. I'm not too worried about the herd this year.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.