RIT 18-Dec-18
skookumjt 21-Dec-18
flyingbrass 21-Dec-18
Castle Oak 22-Dec-18
Tpb 22-Dec-18
LBshooter 22-Dec-18

By: Tpb
Date:18-Dec-18

I'm following Pat's article on growing good clover. I've planted a 1/4 ac straight Ladino plot (last August) that came up alright this fall, deer liked it in early fall especially. Question is, when I frost seed early spring should I stick to the straight Ladino or throw down one of the many perennial clover mixes?

By: t-roy

I’d probably suggest frost seeding a mix. You could possibly run into some issues with just planting a single variety. “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket “ type thing. When I frost seed, I usually seed a little on the heavy side.

I planted Durana clover and the deer were still hitting it on Sunday here in Arkansas. Ladino is similar, easier to get and almost half the price. You got to do what makes you happy, mix or just Ladino is both good. Ladino is $4 per pound and Durana is $7 a pound. I've got about 12 acres of Durana and I've been happy. Instead of other clover mixes why not try clover/chicory and even clover/chicory/alfalfa if your soil is right. Edited to add I'm trying some Persian, medium red, apache arrow leaf and even some birdsfoot trefoil next year even though I'm happy with the Durana and Ladino.

Why are you frost seeding if what you planted came up fine?

I never plant just one species. Diversity is key to success.

By: RIT

Fall planted clover with a cover crop is so much easier than fighting weeds.

Date:21-Dec-18

Noooooo!!! Do NOT use glyphosate in clover. You are either setting your clover back unnecessarily if using the correct rate or promoting resistance. Use the RIGHT chemical at the RIGHT rate.

Date:21-Dec-18

flyingbrass's embedded Photo

Date:22-Dec-18

Tpb, Planting time is dependent on your location. Where are you located?

By: Tpb

I’m in CT

Is there anything that can be planted/ frost seeded now in dec/Jan?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.