One Arrow 27-Jan-21
drycreek 27-Jan-21
t-roy 27-Jan-21
One Arrow 27-Jan-21
t-roy 28-Jan-21
One Arrow 28-Jan-21

By: MK111
Date:25-Aug-18

Two years ago I bought a 8" double roller cultipacker off Craigslist for $500 delivered. The going price in this area is $100 per foot for either a single or double rollers.

All 4 wood bearings were wore at a angle but not worn metal to metal so no damage done.

I couldn't find a new made wood bearing so I did research on several tractor forums.

Found were a farmer used plastic plumbing pipe for a permanent repair. I used a 2" plastic of correct length, then used another 1.5" pipe and cut a part out length wise so I could squeeze it together to fit into the 2" pipe and be a good tight fit on the axle shaft. There is no real movement inside the axle shaft or bearing housing.

Put everything back together and loaded the axle housing with grease through the grease zerk.

After 3 season of use it seems there is not real wear. I do only use the cultipacer for about 2 miles per year.

Good job.

By: t-roy

Sounds interesting. Any pics , Frank?

By: GLP

Good job! If it works, GREAT! But if you get wear quickly, find someone with a big lathe and you can turn down your own wood bearings. I helped a guy turn down wood bearings for an old disc on our big metal lathe at work and we did six bearings in 2 hrs. He wanted them to be wood due to taking it to antique tractor and equipment shows. Was not hard at all. Greg

I didn't take pictures when doing the repair. I'll try and find the tractor forum link. Really just a simple repair of cutting one 2" piece to correct length, then cutting the second piece to length and cutting a center piece out length wise and pinching it together to fit inside the 2" pipe.

On 2nd thought I'm thinking the center piece of pipe was 1.5" and not 2" that has a cut out length wise.

Date:26-Aug-18

Darn I forgot I posted a rebuild discription in 2016 when I did the rebuild.

That explains exactly how I did it. Memory just isn't what it used to be. LOL.

http://www.bowsite.com/db/forums/thread.cfm?forum=4&threadid=453240&MESSAGES=2&FF=4

By: Ambush
Date:07-Nov-20

Well since the spammer brought this thread back up:

I'm just in the process of rebuilding an old drag disc and it needs bearings. I was going to use wood, but if the bearings that MK111 made are still holding up, I may go that route. Any updates?

Date:27-Jan-21

Would like to see pics as well.

I was able to pick up a John Deere 15 foot cultipacker (double roller with cultivator shanks in between) about 3 years ago. Free of charge as long as I came and picked it up. The tongue is bent, but it works great... Best deal of my life!

I remember that thread Frank. I was thinking that was good redneck ingenuity !

t-roy's embedded Photo

Sounds like a terrific deal, One Arrow! Actually, I believe your implement is called a cultimulcher. I’ve got a Brillion 14’ one, and it is hands down, my favorite food plot implement. Are you looking to replace the bearings on it with wood bearings? As big as your unit is, I’d think the wood bearings probably won’t hold up for very long.

One Arrow's embedded Photo

I’ve heard them called both ways over the years, but yea you are technically right. No mine doesn’t need bearings... just thought it would be cool to see what he came up with.

On mine, I can lift the cultivator portion out of the ground and just run the packer. Leaves a great seedbed and really levels the ground.

I’ll broadcast and then run over it once more with the packers only. Seems to work very well.

Trail cam pic attached... my 7520 is my food-plot tractor. A little over kill, but I like to tinker and love the old stuff.

I can buy bigger equipment that has a lot of life left in it, rebuild it, and save a lot of money.

I bought a 3 point disc a few years back that cost over $3,000 new. Last time I’ll spend that kind of money on an implement for food plots that is only 8 foot wide.

Date:28-Jan-21

Now THAT is a food plot tractor!! The springs can be retracted on my unit as well. Agree that it makes an incredible seedbed.

I’m kind of the same way, One Arrow. I buy all of my food plot implements on the cheap, if possible. Fortunately, there is a spring & fall farm consignment auction in my hometown each year. There’s usually some smaller implements that the big acreage farmers no longer use, that sell pretty cheap (except when junk iron prices are high). My wife accuses me of having Tourette’s syndrome sometimes, when she sees some of the “treasures” I drag home! ;-)

Date:28-Jan-21

Ha! My wife is the exact same way... I’ve bought some real winners over the years. Half of the stuff I’ve bought had literally grown into the ground. Several years back, I bought a Overland Whippet (1920’s) at a neighbors auction that I used to play on all the time as a kid. I think I gave $300 for the piece of scrap, but it was a part of my childhood and I couldn’t stand to see it melted down. The frame was encased inside of living trees in several places. I went to go get it with a trailer and a bulldozer... my wife in tow. The look on her face when I pulled up to that pile of brush and metal is forever etched in my memory. I didn’t know it was possible for eyes to roll back into a head that far!

My dad ended up taking it off of my hands and had a close friend do a restomod... kind of like a t-bucket. It’s amazing what you can do with time, skill, and patience.

Ive got a lot of projects, I’m guessing most will never get done. I’ve got junker in my blood, but as long as I can keep it out of sight and somewhat organized my wife doesn’t seem to mind.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.