chasin wtails 04-Jul-18
Ogoki 04-Jul-18
Sharpe 27-Apr-20
sticksender 28-Apr-20
chasin wtails 28-Apr-20
Sharpe 05-May-20

By: Tpb
Date:04-Jul-18

Any recommendations for a spreader for lime and fertilizer? I’ve got a 38 hp tractor. Tow behind? 3 pt spreader? Not sure what is the most versatile and cost efficient. Thanks!

look for a used 3pt spreader. You can usually find them at a good price.

By: Grubby

I rent a tow behind from the fertilizer plant, saves me the pain of transporting bulk fertilizer too.

By: t-roy

I have a Tarter brand 5 bushel pull behind spreader and it works great with my atv, but if you are looking for something specifically for your tractor, I would definitely recommend a 3pt spreader. IMO, it would be way more versatile than the pull behind. You can top dress nitrogen in corn plots that are knee-waist high, broadcast/interseed brassicas or cereal grains in your standing soybeans. If you are spreading into any plot/crop much over a foot tall, the pull behind wouldn’t work very well.

Agree with Pat. I’d definitely recommend getting one with a poly hopper and wash it thoroughly after each use. Some guys will spray down the moving metal parts with diesel fuel or used motor oil to keep them from rusting between uses or when storing them in the winter. Also, as to your cost efficiency question, a quality 3 pt spreader will cost roughly $400-$500 vs a top end pull type at around $800+.

I have a metal 3-point that I've had since 2003. The very first thing I did was have it shot with bedliner. The same thing can be accomplished by getting the poly type, except my "spreader plate" is also bedlined. Each time I use it, I wash it out while it's spinning (on the tractor), then store it under a shed. I put a dollop of cheap motor oil inside on the gates, then open and shut them quickly. This carries oil into the cracks at the seed gates. The only thing I've ever had to do to it is patch the spinner plate with a rattle can bedliner. I always put out the fertizer first, then the seed. That helps clean off some of the fertilizer until it can be washed. The key is maintenence either way you go.

As a side note: I wash the back of my tractor off after each use too. Fertilizer is gonna cause rust every where it sticks.

By: Tpb

Thanks for the Info!!!

I have metal 3 pt spreader I purchased 3 years ago. Was tired of borrowing my friends that way I can use it on my schedule. Anyway mine is metal but after cleaning I spray any places the paint has chipped with Fluid Film as it is a rust and corrosion protectant. The spreader has an agitator inside so there is a ring on the inside that the paint gets beat up and it is sprayed too. I also keep it stored inside. I don't see any reason treating it this way won't prevent any rust from forming and the spreader lasting many years.

By: Ogoki

I have a metal 3 pt spreader that I purchased in early 1980’s. Brought it to my 45 acres in northern Michigan . Spread lime , fertilizer and can broadcast rye or wheat with it . Wash good when done and put a little oil on the metal plates in bottom to prevent rust . Has agitator in bottom . Has never failed me. And still looks great. Well worth owning your own .

By: Sharpe
Date:27-Apr-20

Gents, I'm looking for a tow-behind lawn spreader that is accurate and durable for fertilizer since kind of tired of borrowing. Neighbors have Scotts, not bad but it was still a pain to use. Has anybody tried Agri-Fab?

Date:28-Apr-20

Fair warning......having owned 2 of them, those Agri-Fab tow-behinds are pretty much junk. They can be made to "kind of" work, but 1) the metering system is not repeatable, 2) the agitator won't last long....the wire arms will simply break off in time, 3) eventually the "shut-off" lever won't shut off flow, you'll have to jam the gate shut with a stick or screwdriver, then yank it out to start spreading, 4) the whole thing is very top-heavy when loaded full, and can easily tip over if you hit a bump while towing it. Not only will you lose the load but something will probably break. I recommend you take the buck-fifty you'd spend on one of those and apply it to a quality 3-point unit.

Date:28-Apr-20

I agree with sticksender. I have replaced the shaft and sprocket more than once on my AgriFab spreader. It is sitting in my junk pile now.

By: Sharpe
Date:05-May-20
Sharpe's Supporting Link

Thanks for your warning, sticksender and chasin wtails. Thought it might be a nice option since it was recommended for rocky terrain (and my fathers field is not the smoothest) - should be more skeptical about reviews such as these. Glad I decided to ask before buying. Guess we'd stick with Scotts then, as it's not the easiest option to use, but still quite useful as it never failed us.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.