RIT 14-Jun-18
Habitat for Wildlife 14-Jun-18
Fuzzy 15-Jun-18
Habitat for Wildlife 15-Jun-18
Fuzzy 15-Jun-18
Zbone 17-Jun-18

Date:12-Jun-18

Steve Leffler's MOBILE embedded Photo

Late last summer I planted this plot with a mix that had a lot of winter wheat in it. We didn’t have much rain so in Sept I filled in the bare spots with winter rye. This is the plot today. Is this wheat or rye? Planning to mow it to hopefully let the clover take off.

Steve Leffler's MOBILE embedded Photo

I changed my answer... I' m gonna say Rye. lol

I think it is wheat. I think the heads would be longer if it was rye.

The only heads that I see are wheat. But there are a few of the other plants that look like the head is about to come out of, they are more of a blue looking color. That possibly could be the Rye. Planting date will have some to do with it, but it seems like that the Rye usually heads out before the wheat around here. But all I see is wheat so far

And the Rye will usually be taller than the wheat.

Wheat

Thank you all for the quick response. If I mow it will those heads re-seed the plot or will mowing finish the wheat off? I would like the clover to take over if possible.

If You let it mature then mow it will reseed. Mow now probably dead. I can' t decide between wheat or rye with them pics.

Steve, I agree with wheat. I use both as cover crops for starting clover plots in the fall. I wait until they are mature before mowing. This allows some reseeding for the following fall and keeps the plot attractive for a longer period during hunting season, at least that has been my experience. GL.

I now change my answer to wheat. :^) The dark green stems had me thinking that originally but, the seed heads looked thinner then wheat I have personally looked at closely. Meaning not full. God Bless men

By: Junior

Wheat, and mow now. You dont want to reseed wheat until sept/oct. Its cheap seed, concentrate on clover.

By: Junior

texbow2's embedded Photo

Most of my rye looks like this

By: RIT
Date:13-Jun-18

RIT's embedded Photo

Wheat or Rye it’s not thick enough to inhibit the growth of the clover. I’d leave it and use it to conserve moisture and add a little structure to the plot.

wheat

RIT's embedded Photo

RIT,

It appears you have some crimson clover there, and white as well. Is that Ladino? A little chicory as well in the bottom photo, at the bottom edge? Is that your own mix or something purchased?

Intending to start a 4 acre clover plot around Labor Day. I have always used ladino or Durano mixed with medium red. Typically use oats and rye grain as cover and early attractant. This time is a first that I will use Crimson instead of the medium red. Do you think that will work?

BTW, I always cut my rye after maturity, just a little lower than the clover tops. Gives me tender growth with the clover which has made it more attractive, and I seem to have more turkeys bugging after it is mowed as well. Also mow for weed control, and I have enough rye re-seed for fall growth when it is wetter and cooler. Thanks.

Date:14-Jun-18

RIT's embedded Photo

HFW,

It’s not a store bought mix. I bought them individually. There is ladino, chicory, crimson, and Frosty Berseem. It was planted in a mix with WR and AWPs. The Frosty Berseem was added in March.

I think Crimson will be fine for what you want to do and sure is pretty to look at. Depending on where you are even though it’s a winter annual it can reseed. Fall planted clover plots with a cover crop always seem to turn out really good.

The deer are bedded up in the tall WR and munch on the clover. I won’t do anything to this plot until around Labor Day. I’ll broadcast more WR, Oats, Radish, and clover in the standing vegetation and then mow it down to start the process over.

Date:14-Jun-18

Thank you, and yours looks great!

By: Fuzzy
Date:15-Jun-18

Habitat, I never was able to cut rye after maturity. I was never that mature ;)

;)

Yes, I can slaughter the English language too often. Thanks for the laugh!

By: Fuzzy

:)

By: Zbone
Date:17-Jun-18

Rye grows taller than wheat from what I understand... I used to plant them both and the rye grew much taller...

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.