kadbow 11-May-18
Tpb 12-May-18
flyingbrass 12-May-18
flyingbrass 12-May-18
flyingbrass 12-May-18
nutritionist 14-May-18

By: Tpb
Date:08-May-18

I’m going to get a ladino plot going this year. I’ve already killed and disked the plot. Going to lime and fertilize this week and I’m eager to plant it. Question is should I wait for a late summer planting or just get it in the ground? Thanks a lot!

By: t-roy

In general, I’ve had better success planting in the fall vs the spring, however, if you get adequate moisture during the summer, spring plantings can do very well. Spring planted plots will also generally have more tonnage going into the fall hunting season as well. Weeds can be more of an issue in the spring vs fall, so keep on top of them by mowing and, possibly spraying.

If you have it ready to plant, I’d go ahead and put it in the ground. Good luck!

Frost seed all the way. If you have BARE dirt i dont think there is a more effective way to do it. It gets going and started before the weeds really get a chance to explode out of the ground and moisture is an issue.

I tried a spring plot last year that failed. This was new, previously forested ground though. I did amend the soil but have limited equipment. I planted clover in the fall in a different plot and I’m very pleased with its results.

Spring is more risky but doable. Late summer is more ideal conditions if drought isn’t an issue

By: Bowman
Date:11-May-18

Lime will take some time to raise the pH. Since this may be a perennial plot, I would think long term. I see that you are in Connecticut, so I will take a wild guess and say that temperatures are not too hot yet. I would consider oats and peas now. I would overseed with buckwheat when soil temperature gets to 65 degrees. When fall planting time approaches, I would seed the ladino with a cover crop like cereal rye and mow whatever you have grown for thatch. If you get a second crop of oats and buckwheat, no problem. Both will winter kill. In the spring, mow the rye to release the ladino. Keep us posted.

By: kadbow
Date:11-May-18

Not to hijack but how often should a new clover plot be mowed?

By: Tpb
Date:12-May-18

Thanks for the input, I’m not going to rush it!

flyingbrass's embedded Photo

Durana clover 14 months old, planted last week of February.

Date:14-May-18

I'd never work ground to plant perennials. I am a huge advocate of frost seeding. There are advantages of fall planting if one is working the ground. You have less weed challenges. If one wants to plant perennials and your pH is below 6.0, you are best to get the lime down and let it work for the 4-6 months it takes for it to fully kick in. What you do is plant a soil builder mix, weed suppression mix to set one's self up for the fall perennial establishment.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.