t-roy 29-Apr-18
Fuzzy 30-Apr-18
Fuzzy 30-Apr-18
Marj 30-Apr-18
sdbowhunter 30-Apr-18
Jim Southwick 01-May-18

Date:26-Apr-18

sdbowhunter's MOBILE embedded Photo

Does anyone know or recognize this weed? What is the name of it? I've always called it stink weed but I don't think that is what it is actually called. What would be a good choice to to spray for it in a clover plot?

By: t-roy
Date:26-Apr-18

Don’t know what it is, but it looks to be a broadleaf. 2,4-DB (Butyrac) should take care of it. NOT 2,4-D!

There is a new product that Keystone Pest Solutions is advertising called Imox. I haven’t used it yet, as I have a couple gallons of Butyrac that I need to use up first. It replaces Raptor and is half the price, plus it will kill broadleaves AND grasses (in one application). I have been spraying Clethodim for grasses and Butyrac for broadleaves, and they have to be sprayed in separate applications. It actually pencils out to be cheaper per acre to spray the Imox than Cleth/Butyrac. Cleth is approx. $10/acre and Butyrac is approx. $18/acre. The Imox is approx. $24/acre.

I didn’t figure in the cost of the crop oil/surfactant, as the Cleth and Imox both call for it. Also, I figured the the Imox if it was purchased by the gallon, not by the quart. The Butyrac and Cleth was figured if purchased in 2.5 gallon jugs. Also didn’t figure in shipping costs.

By: Fuzzy
Date:27-Apr-18

maybe cow parsley, if so kill it!

T-roy will the 2-4d hurt my clover that is just starting to emerge and pop thru the soil?

It came on towards the end of last summer and it has already greened up ahead of the clover just starting to come up. It's really hard to pull out. Roots are really in there so instead of pulling it I'm going to spray it but don't want to kill my clover

I think you should be fine, however, DO NOT use 2,4-D! That will kill clover. Make sure it is 2,4-DB (Butyrac) Might not be a bad idea to let your new clover to grow another week or 2, then spray.

Thanks t-roy. Good thing you cought I forgot to add a b to it. Would make a big difference and not a good one

By: Marj
Date:29-Apr-18

"Stink weed" where I grew up is actually called absinthe wormwood (Artemisia absinthium). Easily killed with most herbicides, can be successfully pulled by hand if the infestation is small.

By: Olink

There is a distilled liquor called absinthe that is made from it. When you get lemons, make lemonade... :-)

T-Roy,

Just to clarify, the Imox can be sprayed on clovers to kill both broad leafs AND grasses with one application?!

Mark

That’s the way I read it, Mark. Go to Keystone Pest Solutions and pull up Imox. If I didn’t have 2.5 gallons of Butyrac to use up, I’d be trying it!

Date:30-Apr-18

Marj, may be that the plant is small, but that doesn't look exactly like wormwood to me.

I apologize, after putting my glasses on, it does look very like young wormwood

By: Marj

No worries, pictures can make for hard plant ID.

I wish I had it bigger but that's what size it was on April 23rd. I have never had any weeds growing that early already. Thanks guys for all your feed back.

Date:01-May-18

Might be early growth of poison hemlock.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.