Bobow 19-Mar-18
Bobow 19-Mar-18
Keef 19-Mar-18
Bobow 19-Mar-18
Bobow 19-Mar-18
Michael Schwister 26-Mar-18

By: Bobow
Date:19-Mar-18

Comments on whether this is worth doing??? I have (5) 1/4 to 1/2 acre food plots in NE Pa that have been previously plowed and planted in corn, soybeans and brassicas. Wondering if worth planting buckwheat in those existing plots. It would only be for 5-6 weeks total from late April to early June. Thought this might be beneficial for soil improvement and nutrients. In early June, 3 of the 5 plots will be planted in corn and soybeans. The other 2 will be done in brassicas in early August. Is this worth the $ and time for just 5-6 weeks?

Btw, how much growth can I expect in that 5-6 week period? How long does it take to go to seed, which I don't want to happen? Also after the buckwheat is plowed in, is there an issue planting the corn and soybean immediately after?

By: Keef

Are you planting corn/soybeans in 1/4 and 1/2 acre plots? You didn't ask but that's not nearly enough land unless you have virtually no deer. Deer love buckwheat but I doubt you'd get much growth in that short of a period that far north.

Keef, I have done these planting for 3 years now and they work well on my property. The 2 corn fields are around 1/2 acres each , maybe slightly more. They are in the middle of small fields and I place ground blind in them to hunt from. The 1 bean plot which I rotate with the 2 brassicas is about 1/4 acre and situated next to wood lots. I use electric fence on that. I know buckwheat supposedly grows quickly but don't know how much benefit I'll receive in 5-6 weeks which I have no control over.

Keef, I have done these planting for 3 years now and they work well on my property. The 2 corn fields are around 1/2 acres each , maybe slightly more. They are in the middle of small fields and I place ground blind in them to hunt from. The 1 bean plot which I rotate with the 2 brassicas is about 1/4 acre and situated next to wood lots. I use electric fence on that. I know buckwheat supposedly grows quickly but don't know how much benefit I'll receive in 5-6 weeks which I have no control over.

Date:26-Mar-18

The buckwheat will be fully grown and seeding out by the time you plow it down. Deer will be hammering it the last couple weeks at least. It will also provide feed for whitetails, Bees and no telling what else, plus help improve soil OM, soil biology, and Nitrogen retention. I believe it would be worth it.

On the land you plan to plant in August, you can mow when fully seeded and it will re seed and get an almost two life cyles in that length of time.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.