flyingbrass 11-Mar-18
t-roy 11-Mar-18
Killbuck 12-Mar-18
Makowski food plots 12-Mar-18
Makowski food plots 12-Mar-18
Single bevel 13-Mar-18
olebuck 15-Mar-18

Date:09-Mar-18

seeking roundup ready alfalfa, Hancock is out of stock. also, since I don't know much about round up ready alfalfa, do you recommend the round up ready? thanks

Date:10-Mar-18

I realize the soil needs to have a 6.5 ph. Any help would be great.

By: t-roy
Date:10-Mar-18

John....I would assume most any seed dealer in your area would be able to get you some, even if they had to special order it in for you.

Sent you a PM

Date:11-Mar-18

Bring your checkbook. $$$!!!

Most clover and alfalfa is a little resistant to Roundup at low rates. It might turn it yellow for a while but grow out of it.

By: Hans 1

If Alfalfa is commonly grown in your area any Coop/seed dealer should have it. They are pretty serious about it being managed properly and not be allowed to go much passed the bloom stage. Unless you a set to mow and bale it every 30-40 days I wouldn’t mess with it.

Let me back up. I want to use it for food plots. Which alfalfa do I need? I'm in south Arkansas. There is not a lot of alfalfa grown here. I've had good luck with clover so I thought I'd try alfalfa by itself in a food plot as a stand alone crop.

Is weed control your concern? You can spray 2,4D-B (Butyrac) to control broadleaf weeds in alfalfa, which is also a broadleaf plant. Do NOT use 2,4D! There are several herbicides that you can use to kill grasses. Mowing also helps alot.

You said you’ve had good luck with your clover. If you take care of your alfalfa plot in a similar manner, you should be fine.

Yes I used clethodim and butyrac 24DB. I got a gib food plot 6 acres and over 4.5 acres is clover and it's in its second year. I thought the first year was awesome but the second year has been excellent so far. I've put out a ton of lime and 5-20-20 fertalizer. My local ag company can't mix 0 for nitrogen so I get 5. Better than nothing. I could do the whole things in bags of 0-20-20 but it's too expensive and time consuming when you add this to my ofter food plots. CAN I USE BUTYRAC 24DB AND CLETHODIM ON ALFALFA?

Yes. Definitely.

Date:12-Mar-18

It's kinda like a Catch 22. Buy expensive seed and use cheap herbicide or buy cheap seed and use expensive herbicide.

Check out John Obrion ( grandparays outdoors). He has done testing between roundup ready and conventional alfalfa. There is a difference nutrition wise.

Date:13-Mar-18

Welter Seed has quite a few varieties of alfalfa. Their catalog also shows the traits of disease resistance, fall dormancy, and the winter survival index. I've done a fair amount of plotting but I've only used alfalfa a few times in a mix, so I'm by no means an alfalfa expert. I do know that it likes dry feet and can be prone to a host of problems. I'll stick with clover.

Date:15-Mar-18

we planted out back 5 acre hay field in it. we bought it online - and had to sign the monsanto letter. deer eat it, but im not sure how much better it is than clover.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.