WV Mountaineer 01-Feb-18
Woods Walker 01-Feb-18
BOX CALL 01-Feb-18
lunatic 02-Feb-18
WV Mountaineer 02-Feb-18

By: Yasla
Date:01-Feb-18

Yasla's MOBILE embedded Photo

I am not much at all of a tree guy...Was out walking last week, upstate NY with decent snow cover. Came across multiple areas that looked like the pictures, obviously some kind of food of interest. What is it? There were lots of opened pods sitting on top of the snow, lots of pods still up in the tree as well.

Were there turkey tracks? Looks like scratching in the leaves.

Maybe a Beechnut?

midwest's embedded Photo

Can't see the pods in your pic but if they looked like this, it's a honey locust tree.

Nasty tree but deer love the pods.

Those sapling with the brown leaves looks like beech trees.

Look like beech sapling with the brown leaves.

Yasla's MOBILE embedded Photo

I didn't see turkey tracks, saw deer and smaller animals for sure. Could be beechnut... No pods like that (maybe pods wasn't the right word) they are like husks, here is a zoom in.

Where in upstate NY? Looks like my exact hunting spot. Those are turkey scratchings, and beechnut pots for sure.

Beechnut. Deer love em.

Where in upstate NY? Looks like my exact hunting spot. Those are turkey scratchings, and beechnut shells for sure.

TrapperKayak's embedded Photo

By: t-roy

Any pics of the pods or close up pics of the tree bark?

Midwest X2. The deer around here eat those pods like candy. Unfortunately, they crap the seeds out everywhere, spreading them all over the place.

Those pics are the best i have, will grab some more (and look for more of this) this weekend. I'm in central Steuben county- and you are right Trapper, same exact look. Going to look for your footprints next time I am up there :)

By: notme

notme's embedded Photo

Looks like an American beehnut by the hulls...i have my stand set up in one..the leaves hold on until late december. The limbs are pretty plyable when young so if/when i need to i kinda tie them off the give me more/less cover without trimming too much out

Love the Finger Lakes area. We do have locust trees, but mostly in towns. A few out in some of the woods by Hamilton College though.

By: DMC65

Deer love the beechnuts ! They eat the beech tree leaves just as much. I would suspect that they are eating both . Squirrels bury them as fast as they hit the ground in early fall and the deer come back and dig em up later in winter . I have picked up pods off the ground time after time and never found very many that had good seeds in em unless I was getting them as they fell from the tree. Coon , possums , birds , of course squirrels, turkeys ,deer, mice and bears all vacume em up when they're falling.the deer know to come back and paw up the ground to find what the squirrels hid. I'm sure they can smell them under there.

beech trees and turkeys. Deer will eat them but not real high on preferred food list. useless for turkeys in the spring. IN some areas, depending on mast trees, deer to come to beech in numbers. But being ruminants, they prefer a softer shell when available. In most areas, in terms of woodland mast, whiteoak varieties are preferred. In areas of high oak concentrations, such as my backyard, deer ignore beech until everything else is gone. Locust pods are one of the few preferred foods deer will at times, prefer over whiteoaks.

American Beech. One of the best food sources in the woods. God Bless

If you see a smaller one next to it, it's a son of a beech..........

Beech hold leaves most of winter.turns a real light tan.

Date:02-Feb-18

That one looks like an activist beech. I bet it is supporting other beeches. :)

Date:02-Feb-18

Deer in the mountains of WV love them. Bear too

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.