Which clover?
Food Plots
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
JSW 27-Nov-17
flyingbrass 27-Nov-17
Habitat for Wildlife 28-Nov-17
JSW 28-Nov-17
Mad Trapper 28-Nov-17
bighorn 28-Nov-17
JSW 06-Dec-17
Bowman 27-Dec-17
WFG in NM 27-Dec-17
elkstabber 27-Dec-17

By: JSW
Date:27-Nov-17

I'm going to take 1 acre out of production and plant it to clover next year. It's been in beans for a couple of years and is pretty clean. It was double cropped and planted to wheat this fall but I'm going to hold it out next year and convert it to a food plot. Which clover variety works best for north central Kansas?

Date:27-Nov-17

Durana Clover! It's sold by Pennington.

Date:28-Nov-17

JSW, I would broadcast some white (Durano or Ladino) with a medium red clover right into the wheat. Do this late winter. After your farmer cuts the wheat you may be surprised as to how much clover is there. Just a thought, GL.

Thanks

I have had good success with Alice white clover from Welter Seed. I have also used Durana and find it a bit more difficult to get established and it is more expensive if memory serves. But once it is going, it is good stuff. If it is going to be a temporary plot though, I would use red or crimson. My experience is in PA, so I am not sure how well it will do in Kansas.

planted Durana lasted 5 yrs.

Date:06-Dec-17

It will be a permanent food plot. When the clover gives out, I'll rotate in something else and then do clover again, unless I find something I like better.

By: Bowman
Date:27-Dec-17

I would plant Crimson and Berseem clover right into the wheat in the spring. In the fall, I would plant a mix of perennials with a cereal grain cover crop.

Not to pirate your topic, I have some property at 8,000' and would like to see if I can get some clover started there.

--Bill

In Virginia I have tried both Durana and Whitetail Institute's ladino clover. For me the clear winner was the Whitetail Institute. The deer preferred it. Both will last 5+ years. Look at Pat's clover instructions and follow them exactly for an attractive, cost effective, and long lasting plot.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.