Pat Lefemine 26-Nov-17
Mike-TN 27-Nov-17
Pat Lefemine 27-Nov-17
Mike-TN 27-Nov-17
Pat Lefemine 27-Nov-17
Mike-TN 27-Nov-17
Kozilla 13-Dec-17

Date:26-Nov-17

Seriously considering purchasing the FPS implement but would like to talk to someone who has used one for a while. If you would not mind sharing your insights for 15 minutes send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call..... or I can PM my number.

Thanks Mike

I am also considering. It would be nice to have someone post on the thread not just a PM. I thought I did see a video with Pat doing a review. It is tough planting the proper amount of seed per acre with a broadcast spreader like I have been the last 10-years. I think I am overseeding.

No experience with a Woods seeder but Tri-Star Seed has a chart that shows rates for properly fertilized and correct pH soil for both drilled and broadcast. My habitat thread shows results for broadcasting using their rates. Hope that helps. I cannot afford a drill but if I win the lottery (which I never play) this would be one of my first purchases. GL!

Me and you both Frank, lottery included !

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

I own one and use it all the time. What would you like to know?

Date:27-Nov-17

How much of a time saver is it? Allow you to do it all with one pass? How many small seed boxes do you have and if 2 are you using both? Are you using the large seed and small seed boxes in the same pass and if so, is that working well? Not a tractor expert.... can you enlighten me on the quick hitch vs. cat 1 hitch vs. the floating hitch. Lastly....are you an independent opinion or did you get a discount on the equipment?

Mike

Mike, I'll answer you last question first. I was sponsored by Woods. We never exchanged money but I traded equipment for advertising. That agreement ended two years ago and we are no longer working together.

With that out of the way; I would definitely still recommend the Woods Precision Seeder. My unit has two seed boxes, a warm season (oats, peas, beans, etc) and a Legume box (clover, brassicas, alfalfa, etc). I definately use both the large and small boxes in the same pass if that's what my needs call for. My favorite combo is to run oats in the big box, and clover or alfalfa in the small box. I am able to meter that out very precisely with almost zero waste and in a quarter of the time till, broadcast, pack. It also works good for no-till on soft soil. Hard ground will be less consistent.

My unit is a Cat 2 mount. I didn't even realize they had a hitch mount. If so, I hope it has hydraulic wheels so you can cart the thing around without running over rocks and other things on the way to some back-40 field. Just one thing to realize, I have a 72" unit. It's pretty heavy. My 55HP McCormick can lift it fine, but if your rig is a 30hp or under, you may need to go to a smaller unit or it will have trouble lifting it. I think it's like 2k in weight.

The unit is extremely well made and very precise in metering the seed out. You are able to practice to get the metering perfect, then write down those settings to use it again. It is not a drill, the tillage disks in front can be angled for a more or less aggressive till. Then your warm box seeds drop right after that. Finally, a spiked roller pushes the soil down and then the legume seeds are dropped before the final soil press is done by a floating cultipacker. It's pretty slick.

Two things you will not get with the PSS: You won't get precise seed depth. You'd need a drill for that. And you won't get perfect rows and spacing like you would with a row planter. I think they make a row kit but I never tried it. Even with the row kit, you won't be able to adjust seed rate drop. Again, it's not a row planter.

Another drawback is seed blends are no good. So if you buy deer-head brand seeds with a mixture of big and small seeds, it won't work. I buy all my seeds as pure stands then I do my own custom mixes. It works great out of my PSS and that way I determine what get's planted rather than some concoction sold to me by a hunting company.

The unit is expensive, and for most plotters - hard to justify. My unit is approx. 9k. But it's very well built and if you take care of it, will last a lifetime. The ground engaging parts are all replaceable, like the disks. Other than than, there is virtually nothing else you need to replace. I hose it down after every use and store it in my pole barn.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to answer them.

Pat

Perfect.... thanks Pat. Are you getting good downward pressure/depth with the disc? Each field situation will be different but generally are you having to disc multiple times?

Lame answer. It depends. It has very good down pressure, but nothing beats a pre-till. Generally what I do is spread fertilizer, then I disk it into the soil. I wait up 2-4 weeks then I run my Woods PS over that ground. Any weeds that are just starting to emerge get obliterated by the PS on that second pass. I have done the no-till route and it works, but it's never going to be as good as the process I just outlined.

One thing I forgot to mention. On my clover plots I love to run the PS over the existing clover. It's a little known secret that I learned from some guys on DeerBuilder that if you lightly disk your existing clover you break u p the roots and that stimulates more clover growth. I was terrified at first, but I tried it and holy crap that worked great. Last year I bought a new bag of Ladino, and rather than burn down the field I just ran my PS over it - breaking the roots and dropping the perfect amount of seed down at the same time. It came up awesome. That PS is perfect for that. Of course, you could frost seed too, but you won't get the roots worked over that way.

Thanks Pat.... I'm convinced. Working with my woods dealer

Date:13-Dec-17

How does the woods seeder Work in the woods. In less than perfect soil conditions.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.