Pigsticker 02-Nov-17
Bowriter 03-Nov-17
Bowriter 03-Nov-17
Pigsticker 03-Nov-17
Bowriter 03-Nov-17
Buffalo1 03-Nov-17
Pigsticker 04-Nov-17

Date:02-Nov-17

In all my years of hunting and hundreds if not thousands of hours in a tree stand I have never observed a doe hanging around a scrape. I don’t think they accomplish anything, what do you think? I suspect it might be a leftover habit leftover from when deer were much fewer and further in between it serves as a meeting place but with increase in deer populations it is no longer needed.

It's sort of like a message board. I've never seen deer hang around them either. They visit them, leave their "message" and then move on. I have seen does paw a scrape as well as bucks. Bucks many times will scent check them from downwind, and if you're watching the scrape from another direction you may not see them.

Think of them as Tinder for deer......:)

Don, we have much lower deer densities here than you would find in the eastern states. Our deer, does included, visit them often. Generally mature bucks do not visit them as often and only nocturnally but 2.5-3.5 year old bucks cannot resist them. They send their message and move on. They are great for inventorying your deer with cameras as most every buck in the area will visit a community type scrape at least once or twice.

I have lots of trailcam video footage of does smelling scrapes and working licking branches.

I just watched a doe work a scrape 15 minutes ago... Bowsiting from a tree stand in Kansas... Ed F

I put cameras on scrapes and get lots of pics of does nosing around the scrape.

What is a scrape? I could write 2,000 words on that subject. I'll cut it short. First, understand, there are three types of scrapes and scrapes are made year round by both does and bucks. That is a biological fact. The three types are those that are made and never touched again. Quite often, these are found in early fall, on field edges. They mean very little. Second is the communal scrape. These are found primarily in high traffic areas, often old logging roads. They may be huge and almost all will have a licking branch over it. And third is the aggressively apparent, smaller scrape, found in thicker cover, with licking branch and quite often a rub. These scrapes are often found along trails used only in the fall during the pre-rut. Those are the three types of scrapes and they all have one purpose-Communication. That is all a scrape is-a communication device, used by all deer of all ages. The communication is done through the deposit of bodily fluids-urine, feces, saliva and various glandular secretions. What the deer communicate, neither I or anyone i know, has any idea. What I do know that DOES NOT HAPPEN is for a doe to come along, urinate in the scrape and then, the bucks comes along, smells her and follows her off. That is not at all, how it works. Of the three, for the hunter, only two are of any value. If a hunter wants to kill just any deer, then a communal scrape may be of value. If he is hunting a mature buck, then the single, smaller aggressive scrape may be of value. Very seldom is a field edge scrape, once mistakenly called a boundary scrape by some outdoor writers, of any value. A scrape of any size, in any location, without a licking branch, seldom merits a second look from me. IN fact, I do not scrape hunt at all. I simply use them for information.

Keep this in mind. Deer communicate in three ways: Vocally, visually and through scent markings. All rubs, scrapes and licking branches, are nothing more than communication devices and all the may get "used" at any time during the year. Contrary to popular belief, rubs are used by bucks, does and even fawns. What they communicate, I have no idea. Licking branches are made and used by all deer, year-around. What they communicate, I don't have a clue. Of most interest to me currently, are horizontal rubs. But it will be at least a couple years before I have any idea just what is going on. If any one is interested, and if I have time. If you PM, me with your email addy, I will send you my article on rubs, scrapes and licking branches. Warning,it is long but not too technical.

One of the best articles I ever read was titled (The truth about scrapes) there was a study done where Charles Alzheimer’s compound 670 acres fenced? Was done with I believe the university of Georgia years ago with surveillance cameras over multiple scrapes. Something like 45-48% was hit by doe at night! Only one doe hit in daylight. 7 bucks hit scrapes with one buck 6 times and the two alpha bucks no more than 2 times.

After reading the article I quit hunting scrapes (except for community scrapes) I try and focus on rublines

"After reading the article I quit hunting scrapes (except for community scrapes) I try and focus on rublines"

YES! This!^^^^ I started doing the same years ago. It's especially effective if the rub line has trees on it that show evidence of past years rubs. THAT'S a honey hole.

After all these years of using scent and peeing in scrapes, and meticulously washing clothes, I just grab an apple...smash it all over my boots and use my stand with the best wind scenario. scentman

My experience has been that the mature bucks typically work the scrapes at night, I'd say up to 90% of the time (based on the pictures I get at scrapes). I typically don't set up a stand specifically to hunt a scrape, but if I find an area that is littered with scrapes and a bunch of rubs it's usually a good area to be - it just tells me that bucks are spending a lot of time in the area, especially if it's in the timber (either in the bottoms or up on a ridge somewhere). Another thing I've found is that it seems there are some areas where bucks make scrapes every year, from generation to generation. We have some scrapes that have been opened up every fall for over 15 years on our farm. Not too great of spots to hunt, but great areas to monitor what deer are on the farm and what areas of the farm they're hanging out in.

Agree with all I thought years ago we believed scrapes attracted and held does - waiting for the buck. I have seen does working them - and community scrapes are cool - but also had near zero luck with mature bucks during daylight. About the same odds as sitting in the bed of my truck in the parking lot.

If you understand the relationship of some scrapes and some rubs, you can get lucky hunting rubs. The key is in recognizing the type of rub, especially the traditional one. That is one that used year after year. Ask yourself, "Why is that rub there? Why is it important". If you can decipher that, you can pick a stand. It is in places just such as this, that I often pick a stand tree in post-season and hang the stand in August. I seldom hunt it until late Oct. or early Nov. and then, only on perfect days. I have one right now, waiting for the next cold snap with a west wind. Regarding a mature visiting a scrape. Most don't, even fewer in daylight and then, it is usually from up to 60-yards, downwind. And I would bet, sooner or later, someone will post on here about killing a monster working a scrape in the middle of the morning.

Bowriter - totally agree with the "someone killing a monster in the middle of the morning" comment - but I think that applies to any aspect of whitetail hunting. Someone smoking, someone not wearing camo, using whatever gadgety thing is hot at whatever time, hunting only in an East wind, whatever - pretty much anything you say there is someone out there who killed a big one doing the opposite of what is typical for deer. But to consistently kill good ones you need to go with approaches that apply the majority of the time. That's what makes it so fun, it's not easy and nothing is certain. You have to put in your time and make the most of the opportunities they give you because you only get so many a year!

By: RIT

On Monday I watched two does work a scrape almost simultaneously. I suspect it was the mother and her 1.5 yo daughter. They had a yearling in tow also. The older of the two does actually stood on her back legs and rubbed her head in the over hanging branches.

They were pawing at the ground and were smelling the leaves. I don’t know what it means but it certainly was entertaining.

This perticular scrape was just opened up this year. Seems every deer that passes thru stops to check it out on the way to food.

My best NJ stand is 25 yards from a community scrape. Never fails every year bucks and does of all ages visit it and lick branches and bucks scatch up the soil.

By: Bake

Bake's embedded Photo

The purpose of scrapes is to fool hunters into hunting them :)

I've got stands over scrapes, but they're not there for the scrapes. They are there for the travel corridor.

I see much higher daytime use of scrapes where I hunt than I hear reported in other areas. I believe it's the cover. Deer where I hunt are IN the escape cover, or 1 bound away from it at all times.

Bake-exactly. TMA1010-You missed the sarcasm in my comment. Rot-Sounds like the beginning of a communal scrape.

Hmm, we may not truly understand the significance of scrapes. I like Kelly prefer rub lines I do not condemn that which I do not understand.

What do scrapes do? 1. Let you know a buck is there. 2. Assist in patterning a buck. 3. Provides a place to hang a camera. 4. Lets you somewhat monitor the rut due to worked or unworked scrapes. 5. It is part of the puzzle. Evolution tapers off versus continuing to do activities have a purpose.

One and two are false-assuming facts not in evidence. Some scrapes are never visited by a buck.

I made a scrape a few years ago. My scrap was in an apple orchard where deer visit a lot at night. I blessed the scrape with human urine right out of the original container and hung my trail camera. That evening three does or one with a kidney problem freshened it. The following day a domestic dog freshened it. That night more does visited . On night three a buck added to it followed by a coyote. I agree with others when they say they are visited often but not by the buck who made them. After all it took me a week to return and then only to change my SD card.

Pigsticker's embedded Photo

Bowriter, You think that your voice is fact. 1. Bucks makes far more scrapes than does period. 2. I have followed many scrape lines from bedding area to staging areas. 3. I found far more assumptions in your post on how hunters are supposed to act but did not dwell on the subject. I find far two many people.

Do really know that most outdoor writers repeat the same information over and over. I have over a hundred books on hunting and most tell you very little. Tell me that when you see a scrape that you do not assume that a buck made It. Recently I followed a scrape line for almost a half of a mile with the last 400 yards on an old tram road that end with a deer trail coming off a mountain. I put my stand on the top at the where trail came up. The buck attached showed up at 8:12 last Sunday.

Get over yourself!

Date:03-Nov-17

Show me where I said, when I see a scrape, I do not assume a buck made it. Show me where I said bucks do not make more scrapes than does. I assume nothing. But I'm sure you are right. But I wonder, if books on hunting tell you so little, why do you have over a 100. But your #1 and two in the above post are FALSE. You are assuming, or making an assumption based on a fact that is not proven. You see a scrape, you assume a buck made it. NOT ALL scrapes are made by bucks. THAT is a fact. You are assuming a scrape will help you pattern a buck. That is pretty much patently false. And nice buck. That proves my statement to TMA1010. Now...if you read my posts again, you will see I said almost nothing about how to hunt a scrape. I posted only biological information about what a scrape is and isn't. I will bet you, Pigsticker, something shiny, you cannot prove a single one of my statements regarding scrapes to be false. I might even send you a book on deer hunting to add to your collection. Now you get over yourself and go hunting. Have a great day and God bless.

Show me where I said, when I see a scrape, I do not assume a buck made it. Show me where I said bucks do not make more scrapes than does. I assume nothing. But I'm sure you are right. But I wonder, if books on hunting tell you so little, why do you have over a 100. But your #1 and two in the above post are FALSE. You are assuming, or making an assumption based on a fact that is not proven. You see a scrape, you assume a buck made it. NOT ALL scrapes are made by bucks. THAT is a fact. You are assuming a scrape will help you pattern a buck. That is pretty much patently false. And nice buck. That proves my statement to TMA1010. Now...if you read my posts again, you will see I said almost nothing about how to hunt a scrape. I posted only biological information about what a scrape is and isn't. I will bet you, Pigsticker, something shiny, you cannot prove a single one of my statements regarding scrapes to be false. I might even send you a book on deer hunting to add to your collection. BTW- I saw nothing in your post about you patterning the buck you killed. Maybe you could tell us about that. Now you get over yourself and go hunting. Have a great day and God bless.

Pigsticker's embedded Photo

Bowriter the reason I have so many books is because I did not grow up in the age of technology and like you I do not have run to some study to tell me the obvious. 90% percent of what you write comes from one study out of UGA that occurred around 1985.

Now let’s look how many videos we see of bucks making scrapes versus how many does. I will wait... now if you do not use rubs, scrapes, and other sign then you are not using all the information. As far as the buck followed scrape line to trail that buck was killed on. By the way this buck was killed going to a scrape 30 yards away. That after a 130 class 10 point had worked it over 30 minutes prior. Obviously, not the mule deer. P.S. big woods, no food plots, no cameras, and public land.

Correction-100% of what I write comes from my own studies. I have not seen the UGA study. As for videos of bucks versus does on scrapes-I'm sure you are right and, thank you, you have proven a point I made in previous post.

A scrape is to a deer what Bowsite is to bowhunters. Visitation of a spot sharing some valid, useful advice, some sharing outright inaccurate information and some who are just stopping by for curiosity and contributing nothing.

Date:04-Nov-17
Pigsticker's Supporting Link

Interesting facts from deer biologists. Carl Miller discusses a little on scrapes.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.