Stekewood 22-Aug-17
elkstabber 23-Aug-17
sureshot 23-Aug-17
MDW 23-Aug-17
Ollie 23-Aug-17
sagittarius 24-Aug-17

By: Hunt98
Date:20-Aug-17

I've been seeing late night commercials, the medical lawsuit type for glyphosate. Something about gly causing cancer (referencing World Health Organization).

How harmful is gly?

By: Bake
Date:20-Aug-17

Unless you bathe in it or drink it, I believe your chances of getting cancer from it are pretty thin.

By: creed
Date:21-Aug-17

I have been applying it on huge agricultural acreages since the mid 90's and have not died yet. Nor do I know anyone that has any health related issues with glyphosate products.

By: t-roy

You're good as long as you don't drink more than 32 gallons of Mountain Dew per day for 17 years while spraying........unless you, or any family member has had a hernia mesh implant in the last 5 years. That doesn't figure in the mesothelioma angle of course.

By: Ollie

Pesticide registrants are required by law to conduct safety studies prior to getting registration by the USEPA. EPA will either refuse to grant a license to sell, or put restrictions on the use of a pesticide if they think there is a significant risk to using the pesticide. There are no restrictions placed on the use of glyphosate. A pesticide applicators license is not required to purchase or use glyphosate. The USEPA considers glyphosate to be safe when handled properly (use of appropriate protective equipment). The World Health Organization, and to a lesser extent the European Union, are very green friendly and often place warnings on pesticides that the EPA considers safe for use. You will often see conflicting information based on where you obtain it. I consider the USEPA's info to be a better source as they do not have political agendas like the WHO.

What Ollie said, IMHO. Just this past summer gly was attacked again by the Europeans.

Ollie, probably just an oversight, but this product is a herbicide, not a pesticide. Big difference in toxicity levels between those classes of chemicals.

Yes, I am aware that glyphosate is a herbicide. "Pesticide" encompasses herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and rodenticides. I am a professional that specializes in pesticide chemistry.

ANY chemical is dangerous when taken in very, very high does. Swallow a couple of pounds of table salt and see what happens. Drink a half-gallon of antifreeze. When used properly, glyphosate is considered non-toxic. If you dip your hands/skin in glyphosate for extended periods of time you can expect some adverse health effects because you are not following label precautions for your personal safety.

By: aceout

So, Ollie, you are equating pesticide and herbicides??? Which pesticide do you recommend for crab grass?

By: Shawn

Ganji Pants are already genetically modified to produce more THC. I do not see the comparison?? Shawn

Man I hope not, because I had a leak on my sprayer today while using the wand and sprayed myself wet from waist to knee on one leg. Didn't realize it soon enough because I was already wet from sweat. Oh well, I've already sacrificed all the virgins I'm going to ............

Nearly everything causes cancer in California, so I wouldn't use it there. ;-)

I've sprayed it for over twenty years along with other herbicides and 95% of it was on foot with a 6-foot boom with UGA research on soybean, corn, cotton, peanuts and other weed plots to boot. I guess I will die one day.

We will know more in about 100 years. check back then for an update

By: Zbone

Was told glyphosate was what was called Agent Orange the used to kill vegetation in Viet Nam... Was supplied in orange barrels is how it received it's nickname... I know I know, don't know how true that is, but that is what I was told by a Viet Nam vet... Maybe I'll google that...

By: Zbone

My bad... Guess it was equal parts of two herbicides, 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

noun 1. a chemical preparation for destroying plant, fungal, or animal pests

That is a new one on me. Here is another one that you could interpret to mean plants as well:

pes·ti·cide [?pest??s?d]

NOUN a substance used for destroying insects OR OTHER ORGANISMS harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.

Thanks Ollie for straightening us out. Not what the common man thinks of for the word

Ever see the MSDS for water? By the end of that I swore off water for weeks. I will never read the MSDS for beer for sure.

dihydrogen monoxide is a horrible substance it occurs naturally in nature, if you drink to much you will die, its used in thousands of hazardous toxic chemicals and in nuclear reactors and we are born with a complete addiction to this horrid compound We need to completely outlaw dihydrogen monoxide.

It's easy to keep it off you when you apply it. Not so easy to keep from eating it these days. ;-)

Date:22-Aug-17
Stekewood's Supporting Link

Maybe it's the glypho in the ice cream that keeps you coming back for more . Haha. Pretty ironic that the most hippie brand of ice cream is the one that grabbed the headline on this.

Huge difference between acute poisoning and long-term exposure to carcinogens. I trust the FDA about as much as I trust a used car salesman. I don't avoid it like the boogeyman, everything in moderation, but I personally prefer more traditional farming practices.

By: Hunt98

For storing gly over the winter.

Can I store gly in freezing (garage) temps?

Isn't there a label on your jug? Read it! Seriously.

Date:23-Aug-17

Hunt98 - can you keep gly in freezing temps?

I doubt that it's recommended but here is my experience. A few years ago in the fall I was taking my tractor with a full tank to go spray gly and the tractor broke down. I had to disconnect the spray rig to get the tractor fixed. The tractor needed a new transmission and it took all winter so the spray rig sat outside fully loaded with gly mixed with water all winter. Where I live in VA it froze several dozen times with lows of about 10'F. Apparently the gly wasn't affected because I sprayed the weeds in the spring and the gly killed them.

Cigarettes used to be considered safe too.

By: MDW

Storing glyco over winter, I leave any leftover glyco in my unheated garage every winter, does not seem to effect it for the next year. As far as it being harmful, it can't be any worse than some of the materials I was exposed to twenty years ago. I worked maintaince at a disposal facility and everything we handled was bad. Remember the transformer oil that was full of PCB's? Coworkers in that stuff to their elbows and they only lived into their 80's.

I suggest storing pesticides in a basement during winter, if possible. The solubility of the pesticide decreases with temperature and I think it is possible that the pesticide may precipitate out of solution at very cold temps. This would explain why some have complained of poor pesticide efficacy after storing the pesticides over winter in an unheated garage/barn.

Date:24-Aug-17

I feel safer spraying glyphosate on the field, than when spraying 2,4-D on my lawn. When looking at someones dark green weed free lawn, there must be more cancer chemical residue there than the average foodplot?

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.