31-Jul-17
Osceola 01-Aug-17
Osceola 01-Aug-17
happygolucky 01-Aug-17
Highllainsdrifter 01-Aug-17
drycreek 01-Aug-17

Date:31-Jul-17

drycreek's MOBILE embedded Photo

You be the judge ! :-) These peas were planted late May. They remained virtually unchanged until the second week in July. There was browsing of course, but we've had rain and they held up well. This is a small plot as this is a lease and no clearing can be done. We have to work with openings that were planted in pine seedlings but they failed to take (our good luck), so we plant them. First pic is July 5th I think.

I hope you can see the dates on these pics. It shows the browsing as the month progresses.

Another.

Final one.

No rain in North Idaho since 1st week of June. 98-102 all week with 18% humidity. We are fried. You are killing me with your plot. WAH

Well Bull, the deer are killing my plot ! :-)

By: SteveB

They LOVE peas!!

I was thinking about what to plant next year. Didn't want to do clover. I think it's going to be peas. Wow great looking plot and pics of deer in it.

By: Zbone

What variety, Austrian Field Peas?

Iron clay cowpeas. Never had them eaten up like this at this particular place. There weren't very many deer using this property before the pine timber was thinned and I started the food plots. We are seeing many more deer of both sexes this year than last and we saw more last year than the year before.

By: t-roy

Amazing what a little rain will do! They're gonna be all gone before season!

Is something else getting planted in there for a fall plot, Don?

Nice!

By:

Elk in my region also love em.

Date:01-Aug-17

Polar bears do too.

Cut a hole in the ice and sprinkle a can of Jolly Green Giant early June peas around the hole. Hide behind a snow drift. When the polar bear comes up to take a pea, run out and kick him in the ice hole.

On a serious note, are you going to tear up that plot and plant it to something else for this fall?

My soybean plot is so decimated, it never gets a canopy and the weeds are knee high. I know there are a good amount of beans still available as it is an 8 acre plot; however, I think I am going to tear it up this week and plant it to a brassica mix in a few weeks when rain is forecasted. I am afraid if I leave it, the weed seed bank will be overflowing and weeds may be a bigger problem in the future.

drycreek - very nice! How big is that plot? Is it only cowpeas and will that take the deer into winter?

I drew a Bighorn sheep tag in the Missouri Breaks this fall. I talked to a farmer up there and he told me the rams had wiped out about 7 or 8 acres of his pea field , guess where I am going to be September 2nd ?

Troy, I'll plant it in wheat in a few weeks. I was hoping the peas would last through August, but I was there today mowing roads and trails, and unless we get substantial rain before the week is out, they are toast.

Happy, That particular plot would have to stretch to be a quarter acre. We have a couple other openings and a pipeline r. o. w. that we can plant, and will next year, but until this year we just didn't have the deer density to warrant it. We have one more plot about the same size planted on this lease. To paraphrase Costner, " If you plant it, they will come" !

Osceola, LMAO !

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.