Habitat for Wildlife 23-Jul-17
Mark Watkins 23-Jul-17
LETEMGROW 25-Jul-17
Fulldraw1972 25-Jul-17
Eagle_eye_Andy 25-Jul-17
skookumjt 25-Jul-17
Vino&Venison 25-Jul-17

Date:23-Jul-17

Looking for people with experience broadcasting brassicas into beans before a heavy rainfall. I've been reading about this and watching videos and so in my 2 acre soybean field that the deer are keeping at bay I broadcasted brassicas into it. We received 1.5" of rainfall that evening. My germination is almost non-existent and I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. The soybeans were planted after I terminated a crop crop of Ceral rye and winter wheat this spring so there are not many weeds but a fair amount of duff. Any advice would be welcomed.

How long since you broadcasted? I have done this but only after the beans were starting to dry as sunlight is needed. If the deer are keeping your beans clipped that should not be a problem.

Is there enough soil exposed, maybe too much decaying matter prevented seed/soil contact? Please keep us posted and good luck.

V&V, I typically broadcast cereal grains into beans, as again I like the beans to be yellowing before doing this. Brassicas in my area should be planted at a time the beans are still green and shading most other growth out.

Back when I had a very light angle iron disc, I would set the gangs almost straight. I would pull this through the beans without ruining most of them and open the ground up a little for new seeds. I did this with brassicas once when the beans were still very green. Also got some weeds as well.

By: t-roy

Did you spray your soybeans for weeds, and if so, what did you spray? Some herbicides have a residual that stays in the soil for awhile and will continue killing certain new plants as they emerge. Roundup doesn't, but due to resistance in certain weeds, we are having to use some other herbicides as well to control them.

T-roy, Have you been reading about the new herbicide resistant beans and the use of dicad? Great article in the WSJ about this. MO is one of four states experiencing problems. Two days after spraying, one farmer killed 40 acres of beans next to me due to cloud drift.

V&V, What spacing on your rows?

How much sunlight can get in between the rows (to allow germination and growth)

The herbicide topic is a good one also....as I will use Thundermax on beans that have persistent ragweed (pretty Gly resistant) but you have 6 weeks of carryover before you can plant anything else.

Mark

Date:25-Jul-17

I have done it with good success. They need good sunlight though. So either in thin spots within the beans or into an early maturing bean that will leaf drop earlier would be your best bet. I just did this with rutabaga from GRO, into a May planted 09 group Ag bean.

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo

I did just that as well. The beans got hit very early by the deer so they never had a chance to grow. I broadcasted rape over were the beans are at. 2 days later we got an inch and a quarter of rain.

In the pictures I have beets in the center and beans / rape on the edge.

My first food plot. Cleared it and planted it in early July. Hopefully it produces for my dad.

Should do it as close to leaf drop as possible

It sounds like he probably had too much thatch and it prevented soil contact and/or the sprouts couldn't reach through to get to the sun.

Beans where not even 6 inches tall and they were in rows about 7" apart. There is thatch but several spots where I sprayed with Gly and there was a fair amount of open dirt as well. I used a mix of turnip, rape, radish and sugar beets. I'm thinking the rape and turnips should have been small enough seeds to make it to the dirt.

I will probably just broadcast a wheat/cereal rye mix late summer as a cover crop and spring forage. I am in Northwestern WI and like to have those early spring forages growing for our deer as soon as possible. The 5-6 acres of beans should help.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.