spike78 22-Jul-17
t-roy 22-Jul-17
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jul-17
nutritionist 24-Jul-17
Sugarfoot 24-Jul-17
Olink 24-Jul-17
t-roy 24-Jul-17

Date:22-Jul-17

For one of you Professionals: I have a nice patch of iron clay peas in East Texas, but I'm getting a lot of aphids in them. Question is can I spray them with anything that will kill the aphids, but not hurt the deer, or not run them off. They are eating out of them like crazy. Maybe I'm better off to just let nature take its course. Any thoughts appreciated.

By: t-roy

Do you have a county ag extension(or equivalent in your area) office? If you do, I'd check with them to see what they say. We deal with soybean leaf aphids here in the Midwest. If there's a heavy infestation, they can really put the hurt on the yields. On soybeans, there's a test where you count how many of the little suckers are on one leaf, and if there's more than a certain number, they recommend you spray to kill them. Not sure if you have the same kind of critter or not. I don't think the spray would run the deer off.

Lady Bugs ..

On the plants that are affected, there is no need to count. There's a kazillion!! Probably 5% of the plants have them now, but if experience is any teacher, they will get much worse, and fast.

Ladybugs and Praying Mantis'. You can purchase ladybugs live and praying mantis egg pods.

Yup was going to say lady bugs as well.

I'd rather have the aphids!!!

They introduced Asian Ladybeetles 20-25 years ago to help control the soybean leaf aphids. In the fall here in the Midwest, after the beans are harvested, the ladybeetles congregate on my house and out buildings by the hundreds of thousands! Box elder bugs don't hold a candle to these guys. They get in everything. All winter long, we will have a few flying around in the house. Get rid of those, and more show up.

Go on YouTube and punch in lady bug swarm. You will get the idea.

If you know places to get them, you can get thousands. I've found a couple places in the woods that they swarm and you could literally get buckets of them.

Date:24-Jul-17

silencer, warrior, or other insecticides of that nature, they only cost like $3 per acre but are restricted use.

For those who want an organic solution use 1% peroxide. What you normally buy in the store is 2-3%. You can buy 35% and 50% as well and cut it down to 1%.

Nutritionist, Many thanks, that was kinda what I was looking for. I do have a friend who is a licensed applicator, in fact in another life I had a private applicators license, but that was a whole other type of farming that I have not done in years. We have used the silencer the last two years on Army Worms in my millet, and it works great on them. My main concern is that i don't want to deter the deer from eating the peas, as they are really enjoying them now, and I surly don't want to harm them,(the deer). What do you think, will the silencer be ok?

By: Olink

Asian Ladybeetles and ladybugs are not the same insect.

Olink.......True. I am dealing with the Asian Ladybeetles.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.