Charlie Rehor 09-Jul-17
stick n string 09-Jul-17
Habitat for Wildlife 09-Jul-17
thompson418 09-Jul-17
drycreek 09-Jul-17
IdyllwildArcher 09-Jul-17

Date:08-Jul-17

thompson418's MOBILE embedded Photo

So I started here asking all kinds of questions about food plots. After much research and following your advice, my clover plot has turned out pretty nice for a first timer!! It is a lot more work than i expected it to be, I really need to spray the weeds this week and it should be good to go. Check out this pic!!

Just figured Id give you guys an update!

Thanks

Lookin great! What kinda weeds u dealin with? Broadleaf or grasses?

It is a broadlead of some type. Thick green stem with leaves, Im not exactly sure what it is.

Any advice?

That looks great!

Nutrionist is one of the best ppl if not the best to reach out to. Im sure he will see this, may chime in. Im Not sure how many times u have mowed the plot, but as john menfioned in another thread, when we can mow regularly we generally see the broadleafs disappear after the second or sometimes third clipping/mowing. I always try to make sure some rain is in the forecast tho. U certainly can spray, but its nice when u can just control by mowing. Looks great so far, good luck moving forward!!

That clover looks great ! I'm with SnS, I rarely spray clover for weeds, maybe once in spring. Grasses I spray for a couple times a year. Clipping clover about 8" high is what I generally do to control weeds. I still have a few weeds, but nothing to get excited about.

Nutsedge is another story though. I have one plot I'm about to spray next week.

Thanks guys. The plot is actually in a spot where I can't get my tractor to. So I've been using a weedeater and just knocking the tops off the weeds and not cutting much at all on the clover. I have weedeated it twice this summer. I ordered the whitetail institute slay for broadleaf control. It will be here Monday. Hopefully after I spray that on the plot it will be in good shape. I have just spent a lot of time on this plot and I would hate to see the broadleaf/weeds take it over. I will continue to put time in it and hope for the best. Really appreciate the advice!

Can anyone tell me when I should fertilize it and what should I use as fertilize?

Plot looks good!! I also am new at this food plot thing. I put a couple small clover plots in this spring and I'm also using a weed eater to clip the tops of the weeds off. I can't get a mower in to where the plots are. I've been thinking about spraying, let us know how it turns out.

Ben

Date:09-Jul-17

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo

Here is mine after clipping the tops of the weeds off a couple weeks ago. By the way, this is grand pa rays mass builder mix.

Ben

Looks awesome as well Ben!

Imagine living in a country so bountiful we are afforded the luxury of growing food for deer and other wildlife? It's really remarkable when you think about it versus most other parts of the globe.

Charlie, we certainly are blessed.

Agree Charlie.

Here is a picture of the main type of weed that is in my plot. Can you guys tell me what this is and how to get rid of it?

Butyrac 200 is cheaper than Slay and will do the same thing in your clover. Fertilize at start of growth in the spring and maybe when it starts to cool in the fall according to soil test, but usually low N as clover captures it's own N out of the air. Don't fertilize when dew is still on the clover but do try to fertilze when rain is forecast. That doesn't always work out, but such is food plotting.

Yes Charlie. And also to have a hunting tradition, freedom, and way of life to take advantage of that bounty. The "civilized" world doesn't know what they're missing.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.