nutritionist 29-Jun-17
writer 30-Jun-17
jims 30-Jun-17
huntingbob 30-Jun-17
nutritionist 30-Jun-17
tommyyboyy05 03-Jul-17
nutritionist 06-Jul-17

Date:27-Jun-17

Hey all, I've got quite a few weeds that I'm going to need to take care of before planting my fall plot. I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I could spray them with herbicide right after I mow. I know the traditional way is to wait a week after you mow, which is what I did last year, but time is not on my side this year.

Thanks for your input.

-Tom

AndrewE's Supporting Link

Most herbicides require the plant to be growing. From the linked manual for RoundUp Powermax.

"For weeds that have been mowed, grazed or cut, allow re-growth to occur prior to application of this product."

Read the label in its entirety of what you are spraying.

By: LKH

Another issue is that weed/grass debris covers the targets. After a while, it settles and dries. I just cut a large patch of Canadian Thistle and will give it 2 weeks before spraying.

By: Ollie

Spraying when the weeds are not very susceptible to the herbicide is kind of like throwing money out of the tractor as you are driving around.

Yeah just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has tried. Guess I'll burn a day of PTO instead!

Date:29-Jun-17

when you clip you stress and stunt weed growth. Contact herbicides work best with healthy plant growth. If you clip you need to wait til the weeds start growing again before killing them.

By: writer
Date:30-Jun-17

If you're short on time, just spray. You can mow the dead weeds just before you work the soil.

By: jims

What weeds and what herbicide/s do you intend on spraying? Some herbicides have plant back intervals. It should tell you all this on the herbicide label.

Kinda like an open wound?

Just spraying is too generic in my crazy brain. Here is why.

Contact herbicides work best for effective kill when sprayed on non stressed, actively growing weeds. If it's 95 degree and the weeds are shutting down or dormant, then nothing will kill them well. Once you clip any weed it's "stressed" as your stopping nutrient uptake temporarily, especially as you clip lower.

Non contact herbicides that work through the roots could be applied but again, if the roots are not uptaking the herbicides, there will be a delayed response to the herbicide.

If you spray any herbicide and your not seeing effective kill, there needs to be a time lag before you rush back and spray as a stressed, non dying weed will become harder to kill and you are risking potential herbicide resistance. Who wants weeds that cant be killed?

Date:03-Jul-17

Sorry I didn't specify, but I'll be using glyphosate.

Date:06-Jul-17

Anything that is a contact killing herbicide needs leaf and plant matter to stick to for effective kill.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.