Osceola 22-Jun-17
bigswivle 22-Jun-17
Bowman 22-Jun-17
BullBuster 27-Jun-17
nutritionist 29-Jun-17
Bowman 30-Jun-17
nutritionist 30-Jun-17

Date:19-Jun-17

This spring, I was going to drill 6 acres of Liberty Link beans. I evidently did not have my drill set correctly as I ran out of beans with an acre to go.

I remembered that Nutritionist hates bare dirt and I had left over Kale seed from the past fall so I planted the acre to Kale. I thought the main benefit would be to have a cover crop to help suppress weeds and then a green manure when I till it under in the fall.

Surprising to me is that so far, the deer are utilizing the Kale just as heavily as the new beans. I am sure that will change as the Kale matures (45 day maturity). I had thought Kale would need to be "sweeten" by a frost before deer would go after it. Anybody else try Kale in the spring? If so, what was your results?

How have you been keeping the vegans out long enough for the deer to find it? :)

By: Ollie

Finally, someone that likes to eat kale!

We planted it and it didn't really grow fast enough for it to be super utilized......we had a dry later summer/early fall so I think that was mostly to blame. I will plant again this year and see what happens.....grows like crazy in my veggie garden.

By: APauls

I've just kind of always stayed away from it I thought if the hippies like it it must be bad...

What's the saying to vegetarians - I eat what does a bm on your dinner? Actually, if you put kale in a (powerful) blender with frozen chunks of almost any fruit, add coconut or apple juice as needed, you can get a high nutrition cruciferous smoothie that actually tastes good. A sneaky way of getting a good portion of a green superfood with lots of fiber.

Date:21-Jun-17

From this thread, I read.......

BACON

Date:21-Jun-17

Woods Walker's embedded Photo

By: Bowman
Date:22-Jun-17

Hey Osceola, I planted rye and kale last fall. The kale germinated well and got demolished.

I have discussed kale on here for years. Here is another forage that i also discuss alot. Winfred brassica. If i showed you all pictures of kale next to winfred, you would never tell it apart. Deer eat both earlier than all but 1 other brassica.

So, i use kale in my frosty delight mix. It stays green down to 5-10 degrees.

By: Hunt98

When is the best time of year to plant kale?

Can I plant it now for deer to eat in September?

You guys ever try Kale "chips"?

First time my wife brought home a bag of the stuff I saw it in the fridge and asked her what it was. I tried it raw and hated it.

Then she put it on a baking sheet, drizzled some olive oil and garlic salt on it and baked it til it was crisp. After much urging from her I tried it and It is amazing! Doesn't even resemble the raw stuff. Only way I will eat it now.

My favorite fall planting consists of Kale, Winfred Brassica, Egyptian Cabbage, and Hunter Brassica, 25% each. I like this blend as I have plants with short growth maturity (45 days) and longer maturity (80 days). This gives me a longer time frame of peak attractiveness before plant maturity makes each plant less palatable.

I am going to go with Daikon radish instead of the Hunter Brassica this year. Radishes are well liked, but the bulbs get mushy after a hard freeze. The Hunter Brassica seemed to be the least eaten. It could be that there was enough available of the other 3 plants and not so much they didn't like it, just preferred the others. I enjoy tinkering with the mix, but the Kale was a nice surprise. I did try Kale and Winfred because of Nutritionist commentary.

You know before people thought of kale as a "super food" the #1 buyer of kale was Pizza Hut. Decoration for there buffets

Hey Nutritionist, I will be planting Frosty Delight after Fast Gro. The Fast Gro is coming up nicely. Too bad that I won't be able to tell them apart.

Just curious, what is that other brassica?

One more. Yesterday I went out to check the High and Dry that I planted on a ridge top and a slope. That is doing nicely as well. Kicked a deer out of the top as I approached. Will be putting out cameras soon.

Date:27-Jun-17

If your deer are anything like me, there will be a lot of flatulence on your property.

Date:29-Jun-17

the other brassica???

Date:30-Jun-17

"I have discussed kale on here for years. Here is another forage that i also discuss alot. Winfred brassica. If i showed you all pictures of kale next to winfred, you would never tell it apart. Deer eat both earlier than all but 1 other brassica."

So I am asking what is the other brassica that gets eaten earlier.

Date:30-Jun-17

swiss chard.

bowsite members have access to swiss chard and it's in the program member mix that is frosty delight with added swiss chard for drawing deer into your brassica plots earlier.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.