dm/wolfskin 06-May-17
sticksender 06-May-17
BullBuster 09-May-17
Ollie 09-May-17
dm/wolfskin 09-May-17
BullBuster 09-May-17
dm/wolfskin 09-May-17

Date:04-May-17

Apparently, I live in the rain forest (north east PA) and it rains just about every day. Everything is currently soaked and the fields are greening up quickly. I want to spray a few areas with generic Glyphosate to kill off the growth before I till it up for a plot. It seems there is at least a chance of rain in the forecast just about everyday for the next 15 days... Just wondering about how wide of a window should I try for from applying the glypho before the next expected rain, so it doesn't wash away before doing anything?

You need a half day (or more ) of sun on it for the plant to take up some chemical. Rain a day or so later wont make a difference as long as it has some sun time on application

By: t-roy

Does it give a recommendation on the jug? There are some Roundup products (WeatherMAX I believe) that are rainfast in as little as 30 minutes, however,your generic brand probably requires much more time, like several hours.

Also, lots of guys expect to see results in a few days. It can take up to two weeks or even a bit longer to really see results.

Ideally, you want it 70+ degrees and the plants actively growing (so they suck in the Glypho).

another option if you don't spray it now, till it again, smooth out the soil and then spray it when the weather is good. This way you are prepping the soil and not disturbing the seed bed (stirring up weed seeds) again. I have found this to actually work the best.

Mark

By: Teeton

Brad where in Northeast PA are u in? I've heard the name fastfoodplots before. I'm in Clifford.

As for the r-up. I've been using generic r-up for years on my plots. As stated above warm days are best. I liked it to be above 63. For me if it's on for about 4 hours before rain, it's always worked. Ed

I mix my own from some stuff that is 30 years old and as long as I get 8hrs.. of dry weather, it always works! Scooby

Ed I live in Clifford over by Panorama. The land I'm working is just South of Thompson. Where have you heard? I recently started selling Grandpa Rays seeds down at Franceskis in FC.

I have a rock base material on the driveway from my house to the shop. Most summers I hit it with gly about twice to keep the weeds from growing. The first time this year it started sprinkling about the time I was washing out my spray rig. About 30 minutes later, it came a pretty good shower. All the weeds died anyway. I was using TSC generic gly at 3 oz. per gallon of water.

I don't know where I heard that name but I have. Just when i read the thread and saw the name i said to myself,, i heard of that name. By the way I live almost at Panorama corners. I live in the only house by the corners with archery targets on the side of the house.

Couple hours should be plenty good as long as weeds are actively growing like stated before. It helps to use liquid AMS and make sure your generic roundup has a surfactant in it, otherwise add that also.

Date:05-May-17

I think we're practically neighbors. I live at the corners too! lol Small world.

The only one at the corners I don't know is the ppl in the house on the right coming from forestcity. Right across from Andy. Are you the one that the car ran through the fence a month or so ago?

By: Ollie

Whenever you have questions on pesticide use, read the label. It is there for a reason. If you don't have the label you can easily google it online.

I think we're practically neighbors. I live at the corners too! lol Small world.

By: Fuzzy

If you get it on green, growing plants, at least a couple hours before rain, it will kill. I actually think a good rain enhances the kill, at least with regard to speed.

Read the label and check the weather radar.

The gly that I currently have says to make sure you have at least 2 hours before a rain. But there is significant variation in what different brands and formulations recommend, so bottom line is read the label. If you REALLY need to wedge in a plot spraying, then the actual Roundup brand RainMAX is the shortest recommended time before rain.

A lot of weather radar programs have both live radar and a "radar forecast" mode. While not 100% reliable, obviously, they do give a good indication of if you have even close to enough time to spray.

One last thing with gly and food plots. The cost of "failure" is relatively low if you're talking about a couple of acres. Yeah, if you were a farmer with 160 acres to spray, it's one thing, but we aren't talking about that kind of scale. I'm pretty aggressive when it comes to "risking" it and spraying with pending rain because if I guess wrong and it rains, C'est la vie. Time is money too, so if I've got about the right window of time, I'm going for it. If I'm wrong, yeah I blew a few bucks, but a lot of times I get it right and get the desired kill.

Grouse

I think the label states 2 hours, but experience says 30 minutes is enough

Date:06-May-17

Here at the University of Georgia, we like an hour after spraying before it rains but I've seen it work 30 minutes when getting a rained on.

Date:06-May-17

Agree with Schwister. In fact if my lawn is evidence, the stuff might only need a minute or so. When I've inadvertently splashed some onto the lawn while mixing up a tank, and then sprayed down the spot with the garden hose shortly thereafter, the grass still turned dead brown in a week.

Date:09-May-17

Funny DoorKnob. Remember when the temp gets over 75, the stuff vaporizes more and thus drifts. Ask my 3 apple trees I killed last year. Oh yeah, they can't answer because they are DEAD. DOH!!!

By: Ollie

If you can smell it...it is drifting to some extent.

Maybe wind drift not vaporize.

I have been told by my local extension office that Roundup vaporizes in hotter temperatures.

I've worked with Roundup for 21 years in research at University of Georgia and sprayed lots of test in the field on 2 and 4-row plots at 30, 36, and 38-inch rows in temperatures from 50's to the high 90's. I spray lots of different herbicides in test areas from one 2 row plot to the next one right beside it with another herbicide. No problems with Roundup.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.