Davy C 25-Apr-17
Fuzzy 25-Apr-17
Fuzzy 25-Apr-17
drycreek 25-Apr-17
r-man 25-Apr-17
t-roy 25-Apr-17

By: Davy C
Date:25-Apr-17

I found an old bag of Fleet Farm clover and Chicory. I have no idea how old it is but it said on the label the inoculant expired in 2010. I planted it at twice the rate. Do you think it will germinate? If not I will over seed it this fall using a drill.

Davy, a good friend of mine and their family have a seed company. I often get their old seed for my BIL to use in his food plots on his farm. The seeds certainly do not germinate at the same rate but they do a great job for the price. Alfalfa has a long shelf life I know, I think hard seeds like clover and chicory would last a long time as well.

By: cnelk

Back in the day (a long time ago) when we were farming, each spring we would count out 100 seeds of each crop, place them on a cookie sheet with wet paper towels below and covering the seeds. Keep them moist until we got germination. Then count the ones that didn't.

You can get a close % and adjust your seeding accordingly.

Is it perfect? Nope. But close enough

By: Davy C

cnelk... I did save out a handful of seed and thought I would try to germinate it under controlled conditions. I like you cookie sheet idea.

By: Fuzzy

cnelk, I have always "proofed" seed the same way. You can also assume a 25% reduction in viable seed per year from the "packed for" date and come pretty close.

By: Fuzzy

also my brother is 44 YO and has a one year old son.

I planted some Frigid Forage Plot Screen for three years in a row out of the same bag. Stored in a shed that I'm sure got 120* in July and August. I couldn't tell much difference, but I wouldn't plant a food plot from seed handled like that. If I have leftover, I put it in the deep freezer if I have room.

By: r-man

I found a small pack of seeds from 2010 , I belive it was either turnip or mustard , at least 80% grew. could not believe it. I know Beans don't keep well.

By: t-roy

r-man X2 on the beans. I plant 1 year old seed corn test plot seed that I get for free and have had no issues with it, but the germination rate on the same 1 year old soybean test plot seed sucked.

Small seeds like clover, alfalfa, turnips, etc seem to keep fairly well.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.