bfisherman11 24-Apr-17
t-roy 24-Apr-17
Fuzzy 25-Apr-17
bfisherman11 26-Apr-17
Fuzzy 28-Apr-17
bfisherman11 28-Apr-17
Fuzzy 28-Apr-17

Date:24-Apr-17

I have an existing Clover/Chicory plot. It was established about 3 yrs ago. Last year it was doing great and just a bit of mowing to handle weeds.

I am going to blame all the rain this spring for my new issue with grass invasion.

So, do I spray with something like Pursuit, Glyphosate, Clethodim or 2,4-DB (butyrac)? I have no idea if these are all different or the same herbicide products, these are just what I have read about as recommended by others on line.

Once you kill, do you reseed with some kind of no-till clover? I was thinking about planting John's Overseed Mix to the plot but want to also add some chicory.... Will it grow if I just broadcast? I can't really assure great soil contact if I am not breaking the ground up.... Maybe some localized raking. Oh, do I wait to seed till after the grasses die? I assume yes.

Can I kill and replant now?

Thanks, Bill

I just read that the 2,4-DB will kill my Chicory so that is OUT. Clethodim seems the ticket.

Clethodim PS 26.4% - 1 Pint (Same as Dakota 2EC Herbicide) Post-emergent Grass control in Alfalfa, Clover, Chickory, Peas, Beans and many other related crops in the Deer Food Plot family. Also labeled for many Vegetable crops Clethodim PS, is a selective post-emergence herbicide used to control annual and perennial grasses in a wide variety of broadleaf crops including soybeans, cotton, flax, peanuts, sunflowers, sugarbeets, potatoes, alfalfa and most vegetables.

By: t-roy

Correct. Clethodim for grass and 2,4-DB for broadleaf weeds in clover, , but it will definitely kill chicory.

By: Fuzzy
Date:25-Apr-17

I'd do a soil pH test before anything else. If pH is below 6.5, I'd do heavy liming, now and this fall till with a disc-harrow (if you can), and re seed with clover. If the grass is out-competing your clover this early in the game, your pH is probably low. if you can't harrow, your gly or other herbicide may be the best plan.

Date:26-Apr-17

I think always a good idea about soil samples. I tested before planting and the PH was good. Fell between 6-7. I only have patches really. I thought more that it might need fertilizing. When I did the initial samples it called for 12-12-12 as I recall.

Thanks, Bill

Date:28-Apr-17

clover usually does well with very little (nitrate) fertilizer. that pH is perfect. how is your organic content?

I am not sure at this point. The last soil test was 3yrs ago. I have it someplace but I assume it has changed.

depending onyour soil the pH may have drifted south in 3 years. I am on a shale/sandstone-derived soil, and to hold clover I have to lime yearly

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.