Michael Schwister 03-Apr-17
dm/wolfskin 03-Apr-17
Bowman 04-Apr-17
Habitat1 06-Apr-17
r-man 06-Apr-17
MK111 11-Apr-17
drycreek 11-Apr-17

Date:01-Apr-17

Newbie question, how much roundup do you mix with a gallon of water? Trying to read the directions and it talks about different percentages which are greek to me, The guy at the store told me the general rule is 2 ounces per gallon. Is that about right?

8 oz per gallon kills everything! Just make sure the outside temperature is within the range.

Eight ounces is overkill and wasted money IMO. I use three ounces for mature grasses and weeds and it looks like a nuclear holocaust after two weeks.

weeds are a lazy plant, it's best to spray on a warm day around 1pm in the sun if you can, the plant is fully 'Awake" with a the pores open. 3 ounces is good. I saturate the weeds pretty good when I spray. I also reapply after 2-3 weeks to get any stragglers.

Scar.

By: t-roy

Are you spraying several acres, or a smaller area? It also depends on how many gallons of water per acre you are spraying. The 2-3 oz. per gallon & 10 gal. per acre is a pretty good rule of thumb. Another oz. or 2 won't hurt anything either (except the weeds)

Agree with drycreek. 8 oz is overkill. Also, if you've never used glyphosate before, don't expect to see dead weeds the next day. It sometimes takes up to a couple of weeks to really see the results.

By: LKH

Out here in MT a big thing is moisture. You won't get kill for a long time if it's dry. Best to spray a few hours before or once dry, after a good rain. For a backpack sprayer I use 6 oz which is heavy, but I don't try to bathe the plant, just get a bit on it.

Best to spray when above 50, but not too hot. Gly volatizes easily and if your spray is too fine, you need to be aware of drift.

I dump a gallon of concentrate into a 40 gallon tank of water. That's about 3 ounces per gallon or a 2.5% ratio. Also prefer the concentrate which already has a surfactant in the mix. And I add 5-6 lbs of spray-grade ammonium sulfate powder to that mix. The herbicide seems to work faster and more effectively that way.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the responses. Next question. How long do you wait after spraying a plot before you seed? I have heard you only need to wait a few days and also that you should wait a week.

So I just read the instructions, and what do you know? 6oz is the max dose per gallon. So why give a dumb hillbilly (me) a 8oz measuring cup with it. It was a set up. Thanks for the education

By: t-roy

You can seed immediately after you spray if you want to. Glyphosate has no residual in the soil. It is absorbed through the leaves of a growing plant. Even under ideal growing conditions, you won't see any of your seeding emerge for a couple of days at least.

By: shorty

Stick Sender, How many acres does that 40 gals treat?

Roundup is a contact herbicide, not going to hurt seed in the ground. If you're going to plow before planting you're going bring more weed seed up to the top of the soil to germinate.

Date:02-Apr-17

I use 2 qts in 26 gallons and have enough to spray 2 acres (1 qt per acre) if weeds are small and over spraying RR beans that have emerged. For a burn down I will go as high as 2 qts per acres with generic gly 41%. Can get by with 2/3 of that with Roundup weather max or power max

By: jims

Take a look at the label on the glyphosate container you buy! There are different generics that may have different product concentrations. Also, I spray 50 gal/acre of water with a hose or backpack sprayer and only 30 gal/acre of water with a tractor. The amount of glyphosate you add depends upon what rate of water you are spraying and the concentration of the particular glyphosate you have. The label should give you optimum rates of water to spray with pump up sprayer vs tractor. Some glyphosates also advise adding a surfactant...which will be mentioned on the label. Some glyphosates are rainfast in an hour and others may take several hours. Take a look at the label!

By: r-man

I have never used that much gly , at 38-41% I use .5 to 1.5 oz per gallon , with a good sticker . some times I have three types of sticker or bead breaker in the mix . or I spray 1/3 oz of dyquat per gal . as for time to plant either 1/2 " of rain or 10day , I like the roots to be dead before I disc , better soil patterns if roots are not holding soils together. Next most important thing is a very fine mist nozzle pointed down , and with enough pressure to displace the weeds or grass . 2$ worth of alchohol at 91% 0ne oz per gal . and a 2 liter of 99cent soda per 30 gal , or and 10 oz anti freeze per 30 gal . All work great depends on what I am killing . I use just one sticker , but always use liquid laundry detergent 2 oz per 10 gal . be careful when using 2-4d as some plants will not grow correct if there is any residue left . you can wind drift 2-4d and kill things yards away . be smart

Eraser is a type of round up that I use. A friend of mine used it in his yard to kill weeds. Direction were two ounce to the gallon. He figured if he doubled that it would be twice as good. He said to himself what the heck, I'll go with 6 ounces to the gallon and I'll just guess that. "He killed every tree in his yard".

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that gly is more or less effective in different areas. Around my home (farm country Wisconsin) I need to mix 3oz per gallon to get the same effects I can get with 1oz per gallon on my upper Michigan property. Guess that's the roundup resistance thing. I use the same atv sprayer both places, it's just that the weeds in farm country are maybe becoming roundup ready themselves. Still works and it's cheap, but I try not to use stronger than needed dosages, hoping I don't educate the weeds kinda idea. I'm sure they'll eventually mutate and become immune but hopefully there's a roundup sequel by then

Date:03-Apr-17

I have been told roundup resistance was caused by farmers using too little herbicide in order to save money. Not strong enough to kill, but strong enough to get a resistant trait in the weeds

Date:03-Apr-17

Resistance is because you keep using it year after year. You can't keep using the same herbicide in the same field every year or with the same crop. Rotation of crops and different herbicides.

By: Bowman
Date:04-Apr-17

This is from Monsanto. http://www.monsanto.com/global/au/products/pages/weed-resistance.aspx

I think that #6 and # 10 are significant.

There is more information on the prevalence of Roundup. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/09/monsanto-roundup-herbicide.aspx

There is additional information on 2,4-D alone. And this update. http://www.naturalnews.com/052699_Agent_Orange_Enlist_Duo_EPA_reversal.html

One more for the road. http://www.truthwiki.org/glyphosate/

There is much information available on herbicides. I will be going “natural”.

Date:06-Apr-17

We have several weeds in kansas that are resistant to gly.I only use it for burn down,mow for weed control and cleth for grass

By: r-man
Date:06-Apr-17

You can also get some crappy gly , from china or somewhere , I had some 2-3yrs ago that did not kill anything . I have not seen much aside from crabgrass being resistant to it .

By: MK111
Date:11-Apr-17

I use 1 qt per 20 gls and kills all grass and weeds.

Date:11-Apr-17

I seldom use roundup anymore. I have started raising products that shade out and choke out weeds and grasses. I had a pigweed problem once and had to use it and plant RR beans. Now, I can plant iron clay peas in spring and not have many weeds. Disced all my plots this year already and very little is germinating now. When I plant in a couple weeks, I'll just scratch the ground and plant. Keeps the rest of the weed seed from coming to the top. At least that's the plan.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.