thompson418 18-Feb-17
thompson418 18-Feb-17
thompson418 21-Feb-17
drycreek 21-Feb-17
t-roy 21-Feb-17
KS-Hoyt-Hunter 22-Feb-17

Date:18-Feb-17

Good evening gang!

So today started my journey on a whitetail institute clover food plot! The plot is about a half of an acre. We dozed out the area and got a few small trees out of the way and now the flat is completely open and in a good spot. We then sowed recommended lime and fertilize before later applying the seed. My main question is this, I have had a ton of turkey in that area where my feeder sits at the very end of the flat. Turkey have been coming to that feeder like crazy. My biggest fear is that the turkey will roam from that feeder and find fresh dirt with clover seed in it and eat all the seeds before they germinate. Because of this reason I sowed 1.5 acres worth of seed on this half acre plot hoping to overseed enough to where the turkey will at least not eat all of the seed and maybe it won't hurt if they do get some of them because I overseeded so much. What are your guys thoughts on this? Anyone else had a bunch of turkey grazing their plot before it germinated and had good luck? Any advice and input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Date:18-Feb-17

thompson418's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is a photo of the plot. If you look real close you can see the feeder at the end

Date:21-Feb-17

Anyone?

Turn the feeder off and put corn on the ground away from your plot. Fellow I know leases out land on the halves along the Red River in N Texas. When the farmers plant corn they take last year's corn and spread it on the ground. Keeps the hogs out of the planted corn. It's worth a try !

By: t-roy

Agree that turning the feeder off is a good idea, as is seeding it extra heavily, which with clover will not hurt a thing. I doubt the turkeys will be too hard on your seed. Clover seed is very small. They might do more damage picking at the emerging plants than the seeds.

Date:22-Feb-17

We had more issues with turkeys eating our soybean seeds than we did with the clover seeds. And even then it was just small patches here and there that you could tell the turkeys got to it. You should be fine.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.