huntman101 07-Feb-17
MDcrazyman 08-Feb-17
Habitat1 08-Feb-17
MK111 08-Feb-17
t-roy 08-Feb-17
flyingbrass 08-Feb-17
huntman101 09-Feb-17

Date:07-Feb-17

I purchased some whitetail institute imperial clover and am excited to give it a go this year. I have some land surrounded by woods that opens up and am looking at making it into a clover plot. The problem is the land is very remote and hard to get to with a tractor or fourwheeler. It is virgin sod and currently has grass that's about knee high. I won't be able to burn the grasses either because of the risk of catching the surrounding woods on fire. What should I do to get rid of the grass and turn up the sod. I could get a push power tiller back there, but nothing bigger than that.

Thanks!

Date:08-Feb-17

That sounds awesome if you can get it to go but I think you have answered your own question man. I am no FP expert but I think you should spray it wait until good and dead, then till it with whatever you can get ant spray it again then lime, fertilize and seed after 2 weeks.

Do a soil test first and then spray when grass greens up,you may be able to to broadcast after raking dead grass off but doubt it as your soil test will probably require lime and fert.if you work it you will bring up the new seeds to germinate and will need to spray again before planting.you may want to check out planting buck wheat or planting clover in fall with a nurse crop of winter wheat

By: MK111

I planted red clover in front area by the road to bale with the grass. The grass was 6-12" tall and I just frost seeded the clover just before a heavy downpour of rain. I got 40-50% clover coverage. I needed to keep the grass. I feel it was a success planting and as the summer went on more clover spread out. I plan to do the same planting on a new plot in my abandon pasture field. But I will use a deer type of clover instead of the cattle red clover. IMHO the deer will eat the grass along with the new clover.

By: t-roy

How much understory is in the woods near your plot areas? Is it mostly hardwood trees or are there a lot of cedars? You probably won't have to worry much about catching the woods on fire if you wait for a day with little wind and preferably after you've had some moisture. (Snow-rain). Unless there is a lot of dry brush, you can control leaves, grass and weeds from getting out of control with just a rake and/or a scoop shovel.

IMO, burning it off to remove as much trash as possible, and then frost seeding it on the heavy side into the virgin soil would be your best and easiest option. Definitely need to get a soil sample, as suggested above. You can then go in and spray in the spring after things green up some. If you don't have much success at first, stay with it. You will eventually. Good luck!

I hunted over a food plot in 1990 that was made with a garden tiller. The plot was in the woods and you would think it would not work. It was great! Edited to add....they just rant the tiller through the woods in random places and planted on top of it and somehow they got enough light in there and it grew great and deer went crazy over it since it was in the woods.

Date:09-Feb-17

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.