pure seed percentage
Food Plots
Messages posted to thread:
kyrob 01-Feb-17
Bowman 02-Feb-17

By: kyrob
Date:01-Feb-17

What is a normal percentage of pure seed in a 5 lb bag of chicory? I assume the higher % the better, but what is an average?

Thanks,

By: Bowman
Date:02-Feb-17

Not a direct answer, but this might get this started.

From Grandpa Ray's (Nutritionist)

Whenever I go into big box stores, I tend to migrate to the wildlife seed area. Whenever I grab a bag of seed of the shelf, the first thing I look for is the seed testing date. I would estimate that over 50% of the bags of seed on the shelves, typically are illegal seed that is outdated. In many states seed needed to be retested every year. If the seed is over a year old, the retailer needed to put a new sticker over the testing date, using the new seed test data for that lot of seed. I’d venture to guess, very few companies that put seed in these stores retest their seed. Legally, this seed needed to be retested to be able to sit on these shelves. Yes, you still might get decent germination, depending on the environment that the seed is in but then again, it could also result in much lower germination counts. Why take chances on less than fresh seed?

The basic parts of a seed label include:

Kind and variety of seed % Purity % Other Crop Seeds, % Weed Seeds, % Inert Matter % Germination Origin of the seed Lot number Test dates Seed company name and address

I bought some Imperial Whitetail PowerPlantlast year, No longer have the bag. But there was inert matter and weed seed in the mix.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.