Food Plots
Messages posted to thread:
nutritionist 25-Jan-17
sagittarius 30-Jan-17
bfisherman11 30-Jan-17
nutritionist 31-Jan-17

Date:25-Jan-17

nutritionist's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is a quesionaire I put together that i ask all of my clients to answer before i dig deeper into making any recommendations. So many people in the wildlife industry want to mention a product as a magic bullet to everyone's situation. It doesn't work that way. Everyone has different soil ph's, organic matter levels, nutrient levels, deer densities and management abilities. I challenge any of you to answer these questions and present these answers to whomever you choose to work with on your wildlife management program. One seed doesn't fit all.

1)Have you planted food plots before? If so, how many years?

2)What equipment do you have access to?

3)How many acres of total land and how many acres of food plots on this area?

4)Have you taken a soil test on all plots within the past 2 years? If so, please provide those sample results if possible.

5)What is your deer density on your land and vicinity?

6)Do you have aerial maps/google earth maps?

7)Do you have your plots labeled and named?

8)If an existing plot, what was planted on it the previous year.

9)What has been your biggest challenge in the past?

10)What are your goals?

11)What is your budget?

12)What is the overall health of the deer herd and typical size and genetics of the bucks?

13)Where is the property located?

14)Does the property currently have habitat and water?

Date:30-Jan-17

15)Do you have a plot rotation plan for the next 3-6 years?

Date:30-Jan-17

Good list.

Thanks John, Bill

Date:31-Jan-17

Sag, are you asking if i have my own plan? If so, no because people like you keep throwing ideas at me and i do research doing things wrong to try to educate you on what to do correct. For example i believe i am in year 8 of continuous brassicas in 1 plot just to see how many years i can grow healthy one's even though i'd hate to tell any of my clients to do that.

Here is what my plant would be for Joe Smith that has 3 acres of food plots

plot 1 1 acre of perennials planted along field edges to create scrapelines and all year forage. I could keep that going 20-25 year as my goal.

plot 2 1/2 acre of corn/cannamaize and 1/2 acre of pod producing soybeans

plot 3 1/2 acre of soil builder or a soil building mix spring planted then overseed with brassicas

plot 4 1/2 acre of when ground gets 60-65 degrees of four galore, fast gro, or deer and bird blend

year 2 perennials are good plot 2 flip flop the 1/2 acre of beans and corn plot 3 frost seed medium red clover in the soil builder area plot 4 plant soil builder in the warm season plot and overseed it with brassicas in the fall.

year 3 perennials are good plot 2 flip flop corn and beans once again plot 3 plant long season bulbs plot 4 four galore, bird blend, or powerhouse

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.