Osceola 25-Jan-17
willliamtell 25-Jan-17
Osceola 25-Jan-17
LKH 25-Jan-17
Bowman 25-Jan-17
t-roy 25-Jan-17
Buff 25-Jan-17

Date:25-Jan-17

Random discussion imply that a plant is more "drought tolerant" than another. "Drought" in one area may be considered decent rain fall in another.

In western NE with light sandy loam soils, we average 15 inches of precipitation a year with a very wet year being 20 inches. In Indiana for example, this likely would be considered a disastrous drought.

Is there information out there that gives a "recommended/minimum" precipitation for plant types. It would be nice to look at a quick reference and see what kale, Winfred brassica, Egyptian wheat, milo, soybeans, corn, radishes, turnips, millet, canola, etc. need for minimum/adequate growth so one does not waste a year (or more) trying different plantings. Is there more scientific information out there instead of this plant is "more drought resistant? The local COOPs have expertise with corn, soybeans, wheat and milo; however, I get blank stares when I mention nontraditional plants.

Lets assume soil test, proper fertilizing/liming, field preparation, and other farming stewardship is completed.

Using only precipitation (or lack thereof) requirements as your guide, what is your a top 5 list of plants for year round deer nutrition with only 15 inches of precipitation?

I would contact a university extension agent. Also, I believe one of the state universities in the Midwest or South has a white-tail research center. They may have information. Mike

I would contact a university extension agent. Also, I believe one of the state universities in the Midwest or South has a white-tail research center. They may have information. Mike

University extension research is on corn, soybeans, alfalfa, milo, or what I call "normally" harvested crops. Little or no information is available for kale, Winfred brassica, rutabaga, Egyptian wheat, radishes, etc.

It isn't just what can survive a drought, it's what does well in those conditions.

Williamtell - You are exactly right.

Better said than I. What does well with an expected rain fall of 15 inches...

By: LKH

Unfortunately, it's not just the amount of rain, but the timing that matters at least as much. A few years back I had a great spring wheat crop. Moisture had been adequate and timely. Just before harvest, we got 6 inches of rain over 6 days. The wheat got sprout damage and went from $6 to $2.50 a bushel.

The same thing can happen if you get too much rain and delay planting. You might have the same rainfall, but it isn't at the right time.

By: Bowman

I do not have much experience and have just bought some equipment. I have mostly sandy soil. I did get small burnet to grow and that was before I limed and fertilized. I had contracted the field work out. Not even cultipacted.

I am aware of a "movement" toward no till planting. I do not see me getting a no till drill.

I am learning about hardpan and soil compaction. I do not know if that is a big issue for me based on my soil. Anyway,....small burnet is the only crop I know of that can grow with less than 15" of rain. Chicory may be a good choice to plant with it because of the taproot. Small burnett is not recommended to be planted in a monoculture.

Land prep http://deerandforests.org/resources/drought-proof-food-plots

Small burnett https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_PLANTMATERIALS/publications/idpmcrb11476.pdf

By: t-roy

You might look into milo. I have no experience with it, but have heard it is pretty drought tolerant.

By: Buff

As said above, the timing is more important than amount, to a degree.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.