BullBuster 26-Sep-16
wilbur 26-Sep-16
wilbur 26-Sep-16
BullBuster 26-Sep-16
drycreek 26-Sep-16
JayD 27-Sep-16
BullBuster 28-Sep-16

Date:22-Sep-16

how do i find a drill that i can use for winter wheat and oats? I have a tractor, but would prefer one i could use with my ATV for smaller plots. Also, has anybody tried drilling into an active clover plot?

Following this closely. I have very similar questions.

By: r-man

broadcast it, your tires should get some down to the soil, rain will do the rest, My guess is the clover would rap around a seeder something awfull .

Date:24-Sep-16

Thanks Pat and R-man. I'll try running my tooth harrow through then broadcast the oats. Pat, which Precision seeder do you have?

By: r-man
Date:24-Sep-16

sold mine 2 yrs ago , I broad cast every thing. Little precision required for food plots, I disc near every thing in, I don't need rain to germ that way.

By: JayD
Date:25-Sep-16

If you are limited with funds - an easy and economical way is to get a used lawn core aerator. Make several passes over the area you plan to seed and then broadcast your seed.

Date:25-Sep-16

I was thinking about a drill as I was discing and dragging, etc. last week. Next week I will be doing the same at a different locale. I will be dreaming about a drill. Then, the next week, I will be doing the same at another locale, and I will be lusting after a drill.

When my ship comes in, there will be a drill on it !

Date:26-Sep-16

Anybody try the combo aerator/spreaders? I know the are designed for grass seed, but with adding weight to them I wonder how they'd do with grain or bean seed?

By: wilbur

I drill/slit seeded 2 acres here in CT after 2nd cut on a hay field.

Planted Grandpa Rays Fall Draw and it has come up pretty good.

I went to our local John Deere dealer and he had a drill seeder that he rented to us. Check with your local dealers I'm thinking they may have one you can rent.

By: wilbur

wilbur's embedded Photo

Pic of the drill seeder I used.

Got to love the Pasture Pleaser.

Not a drill available for rent within 100 miles that i can find.

Pasture Pleaser huh ? We had a bull like that..........

By: JayD
Date:27-Sep-16

Bull - an aerator actually does a pretty good job. You may have to make several passes over the area from different directions. I have found that you can even seed a little later into the season as most core aerators will penetrate anywhere from 2 to 3 inches deep which will help protect the seed from colder temps. Will normally not hurt the seed planted so deep because the areation hole will take about2 weeks to completely close - allowing the seed to germinate. I have done it many times with good results!

Date:28-Sep-16

Thx Jay. I'll try it.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.