razorsharp 10-Oct-16
The last savage 10-Oct-16
The last savage 10-Oct-16
mat1739 11-Oct-16
The last savage 11-Oct-16
BULELK1 13-Oct-16

By: Hunt98
Date:20-Sep-16

I think it was on the Bowsite last year that I was reading about using a rope over a scrape for a licking branch.

I did a search but I could not find it.

Was there a thread about ropes over scrapes?

If so, can you post a link here?

By: EJG
Date:20-Sep-16

http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html/wickedwicks.html

Try this link

Date:21-Sep-16

It's on Smokeys lure site also.

By: Hunt98
Date:21-Sep-16

EJG... That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Date:22-Sep-16

I've got this going this year but with a slight variation to how Uncle Gene did it. I'm using an actual licking branch but I attached just a short section of rope for the purpose of holding the scent. Hoping for some good trail cam pics. We can't use bait or minerals at anytime of the year here in Illinois so getting good pictures can be a little tougher.

I set up 2 ropes this year. In the past I would just move existing licking branch. I drill a 1" (or so) hole with a cordless drill in any tree I like. Stick in the branch. Secure with deck screw if needed. Has worked well for me.

This year I am again running 3 scrape lines with 6-13 scrapes. On 2 I used ropes for the main scrape.

sdbowhunter's embedded Photo

I have 3 of them that I have going. I have had one going for 5 years and this spring I added 2 more. These are from one of the new ones I added this year. I also put a little pre orbital on the very ends of the branches also on top of dipping the rope in it.

Here was before I stared incorporating a actual branch with the rope but have found it works better with the rope tied off the branch. I added a branch later that year. I ran it with out a branch for 2 years before adding a branch to it

I get about 2 years out of a branch before they have all the ends broken off

this is same branch next year. You can see how they have broke it down.

By: retro

Never did understand the idea behind using a rope. Branches work much better.

The rope is able to be dipped in the pre orbital gland lure and holds it for a longer time

My dad put 3 ropes out a couple years back after the Wensel's articles in Bowhunter magazine. He hasn't added any scents the last 2 years and they are still used as communal scrapes. Everything from bucks and fawns to coyotes and bears will check them out when they go by.

By: APauls
Date:23-Sep-16

sdbowhunter what kind of pre-orbital do you buy? Is it a synthetic?

APauls I use the Smokey's pre orbital gland. I couldn't find if it is synthetic. Here is the link to what I use.

http://smokeysdeerlure.com/product/pre-orbital-gland-lure/

sdbowhunter's Supporting Link

Here it is. Put it in wrong spot

By: Fuzzy

that's interesting

Nice - thanks for the link! They claim theirs is the only "genuine pre-orbital gland in the world." I have had a hard time finding legit pre-orbital, which is why I asked. Thanks

Oh ya that's the stuff the Wensels and Mike Mitten uses.

I have found his pre orbital is the best sent I have used. I get more interest from that year round from bucks and does that I do from scent drippers filled with active scrape. Smokey's is the only pre orbital I have use but am very satisfied with it. When I first got it to try I wasn't expecting to get the response I got from it. I was amazed at how much does use the licking branch all year long as well. I usually put it on the rope and ends of the branches some time in May thru Nov.

Any idea how much use you get out of a single bottle? How many ropes would you be able to dip, or how many seasons do you get out of a bottle running ___ scrapes? Sorry to badger you with questions. I really want to start using it, but I have to pay $22US just for shipping, so I want to get my ducks in a row before I start. Never been happy with any other pre-orbital I've used.

Another question - are you specific on the rope material you use?

Any idea how much use you get out of a single bottle? How many ropes would you be able to dip, or how many seasons do you get out of a bottle running ___ scrapes? Sorry to badger you with questions. I really want to start using it, but I have to pay $22US just for shipping, so I want to get my ducks in a row before I start. Never been happy with any other pre-orbital I've used.

Another question - are you specific on the rope material you use?

I've been running 2 ropes and this year it will be 3. I have been able to use one bottle for 2 ropes a season. I dip them once in May, then once in July, and August, then in Oct I dip them every other week in Oct and drip a little on the ends of the branches, and then once a week in Nov and drip on the ends of branches. It doesn't take aot of scent. I only dip 1-2" of the rope. The deer checking it out add there own pre orbital and help keep it fresh just basically need to keep it someone new they don't know the smell of.

This year I got 2 bottles to see how much 3 takes. It's kind of expensive for 3oz for $21.95 but I spend my money he on scents on this stuff instead of other scents.

No problem at all. I have found that the white rope worked better than the brown one can't remember what material the brown one was but will check the bag of the white rope for what material it is when I get home from work

Awesome. Looks like the pre-orbital is only available in 1.25oz jars for 21.95. I sent him an email and looks like it doesn't have a shelf life.

Sorry that was my screw up just going off the top of my head with out looking. The two I have are 1.25 oz at that price a bottle. Here is a picture of the white rope I'm used now. The brown one I can't remember the material and don't have any more was a larger 1/2" instead of the 1/4" white that I'm using now. This white lasts way better out side all year long that that brown did. I get about 2 years out side year round out of it before it's wore out compared to one year with that other

I think it says to just store in a cool dark place. Does not have to be refrigerated. I just keep mine in my basement where the lights are most always off and no windows if I have some left over from year to year and just use that one up first the next year right away

Sorry long day at work I forgot to add the pic of rope to above post

Date:24-Sep-16

So do you all hunt directly over this licking branch ? Will the deer visit these daily ?

Date:26-Sep-16

Awesome - thanks! Due to shipping costs I ordered a few bottles, and one for my brother as well. I don't intend on hunting scrapes directly myself, but I know where some yearly scrapes are situated and intend to turn it into more of a scrape line, and use them to get pics of bucks in the area. I LOVE hanging cams on active scrapes!

Date:05-Oct-16

Hemp rope works better. It can't soak into nylon.

Date:08-Oct-16

The last savage's embedded Photo

Licking branches are like a social network deer use to see who's around,pecking order,rut activity,ect.i use 2 or three and try to have a cam on it as long as possible.i hang on travel corridor,near bedding area,field edges....if found oil based preorbital scent works best on a hemp type rope,i started using 3\4 in rope that u found to be too thick.heres a pic of how I make mine now,i tie in a small green branch to the rope to add stiffness that they seem to prefer when rubbing and biting on it.i make a mock scrape near my set up.tarsal spray..yea you can hunt over um,i like it because usually every deer that walks near it will check it out.but I've see bucks walk right past it too...

Date:09-Oct-16

woodguy65's embedded Photo

You don't really need a rope or orbital oil. Just a post, and drill a hole and put a branch through it. kick up the dirt underneath and pee in it and you are in business. It takes care of itself from there. I have tons of pics of bucks and doe's hitting it.

woodguy65's embedded Photo

Lol. Yea woody is correct..you don't need it,,but I will assure you I checked 4 cams ,over a span of 65 miles,,TODAY!! 4600 pics..I'll bet you 1500 where loving up to the preorbital scent.l picking branch..for the cost of 3 packs of cigarettes,lol I'll show you a giant 150" 10 pt...but he probably would've been there anyhow ;-)

Date:10-Oct-16

razorsharp's embedded Photo

Put it out on a piece of manila rope at 1126 on the 16th and at 0834 the following morning had a buck hitting it.

razorsharp's embedded Photo

My cams suck,cheap,a lot of theft here,i refuse to buy good cams for some lazy bastard to steal..buy here comes are a few from yesterday

Date:11-Oct-16

Is this rope just being purchased at any hardware store? Or are you trying to find a specific rope? IE: oil free, all natural hemp, cotton, etc..

Date:11-Oct-16

Mat I started out with a thicker (3/4/) inch rope ,. Since then I've found a thinner rope,bout the size of a sharpie... here's the important thing..wrap,,barber pole style.... a small branch,, green branch,thin rigid...I just use braded fishing line ...so the lil branch simply keeps the small rope rigid..... Deer like it when they can push into a branch.. therefore putting there preorbital gland secretion on it.. I've used this method and it works.. period..it simply makes a deer stop n visit...get it OUT NOW...GOOD LUCK

Date:13-Oct-16

I wonder if this would work on Mule Deer?

I have a bow buck hunt in mid-late November in Utah and am curious about trying this idea.

Good luck, Robb

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.