General Deer Topics
Messages posted to thread:
Yasla 05-Sep-16
r-man 06-Sep-16
nutritionist 06-Sep-16
Yasla 07-Sep-16

By: Yasla
Date:05-Sep-16

This is a new crop on our land, not a food plot, will be close to 50+ acres. We typically have corn, alfalfa or soybeans. Wondering what to expect in comparison. To my knowledge, there is very little of this crop within miles of here. These fields in particular have been CRP for some time, and we're just planted in last week or two, upstate NY. Thanks.

By: r-man
Date:06-Sep-16

I have seen deer eat it, and they came back to it time again. yet I never planted it. I plan to use it in a buffer zone between plots and field edges .

Date:06-Sep-16

It's higher in protein than oats, wheat and rye. It's higher in minerals. It will out yield all 3...

But, i have oats, rye, wheat and triticale in the G.R.O educational plot to show you all how they compare.

Triticale offers the best traits of rye and wheat. It is finer leaf and has less plant disease issues than oats.

Triticale handles wet and heavy ground better than oats but if you have sand ground or real light ground, then oats tends to do better there.

By: Yasla
Date:07-Sep-16

Thanks all, i think with your feedback I will take a watch and see approach, maybe put up a timelapse camera to see what activity level is as this new crop emerges and probably not plan to rearrange any stands to focus on this area over the other crops. I will be up there this weekend and if anything growing will post some pics. Thanks Joe

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.