Wild Plum from seed?
Habitat Improvement
Messages posted to thread:
John in MO / KY 25-Aug-16
Fuzzy 25-Aug-16
John in MO / KY 25-Aug-16
r-man 25-Aug-16

Date:25-Aug-16

A few weeks ago I found some wild plum on a backpacking trip here in KY. They were very sweet, so I gathered a handful for their seeds. I've google searched for the best method to get the seeds to germinate, but so far have found no good information. Anybody out there know the best method to get these seeds to germinate so I can plant these on my property?

By: Fuzzy

freeze the seeds for a week or two, dry them on a paper towel, and start them in pots in early spring, transplant after a year or two

Thanks Fuzzy. That's about what I'd found online. But I also found a few sites that said score the seed with a knife, refrigerate for 30 days, and then freeze for 60 days.

By: r-man

don't need to any thing just place them out side just beneath the soil away from squirrels. they don't need any more chill time then they will get out side. they will rise in the spring like they should. next keep in mine some wild plum can be invasive and spread where you don't want. Did they appear redish ? they may form a thicket if place in the open, not a tree

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.