grasshopper 15-Jul-16
drycreek 15-Jul-16
RutnStrut 15-Jul-16
Castle Oak 16-Jul-16
Genesis 16-Jul-16
Tndeer 18-Jul-16

By: Tndeer
Date:14-Jul-16

I have a couple of ponds that get very low in the summer months. In dry hot years I think these ponds become breeding hot beds for the midges that spread bluetongue. I am wondering if anyone is aware of a larvicide that can be put into the water as a vector control measure. Both ponds are small (1 acre or less) and have no fish in them. Obviously the larvicide would need to be harmless to other animals.

I have googled this subject and have found very little. I thought the immense collective brain of the forum could provide me with an answer.

Thanks

Date:14-Jul-16

Pretty amazing there are no fish??

Date:15-Jul-16

Don't waste your time. Remember, the deer using your property are likely using 1-3 square miles of habitat during this time of the year. Thus, they will likely get exposed to the midges somewhere during their travels.

No fish. the ponds would go totally dry every year. about 5 years ago I put bentonite in them in an attempt to get them to hold water. Now they hold just a little water during the hottest part of the season. they are both run off ponds so they are not connected to creeks that could populate them with fish. Kind of shot myself in the foot on this one.

Castle Oak, I have over 1 square mile and have proven to myself that I have a population of bucks that spend 95% of the time on my property (using trail cams 50% of the year)for several years. I realize most deer are not like this. My property is somewhat unique because its an island of woods and food plots surrounded by agg fields with no woods. The closest woods are about a mile away.

If I can reduce the amount of deer that die from bluetounge by 25%, its not a waste of time in my book.

For mosquito control here in Louisiana there are two methods I know of. Put mosquitofish, Gambusia, into the pond or alternatively pour a little vegetable oil that spreads on the surface and clogs up the "snorkel" of the larvae.

Possibly a similar approach could be found for midge larvae.

Try Mosquito Dunks. It says it will kill all mosquito or midge larvae and is safe for animals

I just watched my weekly video from Dr. Grant Woods ( Growing Deer TV ), and he said that there is nothing you can spray that will work. Just passing it on, 'cause I surely don't know.

Just throwing this out there. But would it be worth it or even help to keep the ponds full? That is if it's even possible.

Date:16-Jul-16

TN, antibody levels within individual deer is really what influences whether or not a deer contracts BT/EHD. Their immune system is just like ours thus deer with prior exposure(and survive it) do not contract the disease a second time. Does pass this immunity on to their offspring however, the immunity weakens with each generation. That is why outbreaks usually occur every 7 to 10 years. Manage your property for what you can control and don't worry about what you can't.

Date:16-Jul-16

Vector "control" is unreachable and so the myriad of other factors that go into a blue tongue "epidemic"

Date:18-Jul-16

thanks guys

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.