nutritionist 16-Jul-16
nutritionist 18-Jul-16
Bow Crazy 20-Jun-19
Habitat for Wildlife 20-Jun-19
Osceola 21-Jun-19
Mark Watkins 21-Jun-19

Date:31-May-16

nutritionist's MOBILE embedded Photo

All bowsite members as well as the public are invited to an open house June 18th at 10 am. It is located at w536 Rabl Dr Columbus WI. Contact me at [email protected] or call 608-235-0628 for more information

The weather was super dry and very cold for the first 3 weeks after planting. The heat and rain of the past week has really exploded things.

Other observations. Insect pressure is escalating. This is where genetics and varieties matters. People will see why i don't like sugar beets. I also have some new forages that really handled the cold and dry very well.

Here is a video we shot on sunday. Hope it's a good watch for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsK5tlopkJo

Date:11-Jun-16

The weather has finally helped and the plot is expoding.....

Date:20-Jun-16

I had 30 people show up for my educational food plot event and there will be videos for you all to watch once they get edited. Here is my summary:

People got to see why seeding rates are important. If you buy low germ or seed that has been on shelves for a while it might not be a worry to overseed but people got to see various seeding rates on brassicas and bulbs and what happened with those.

We got to show people that genetics makes a big difference on plant health and insect pressures. I showed people how the standard brassicas aren't as healthy as the new hot genetics. I showed people why they should plant rutabaga over turnips. The health and vigor was obvious.

People got to see some experimentals that will be coming out on the market place in 2017. Some of these forages, people never heard of but they are outstanding. September 2016 there will be a big announcement that some people got to see a sneak preview of.

I walked people through herbicides and showed people the four galore and explained why it's better nutritionally than forage soybeans and how it grows much faster.

Stay tuned for pics and videos.

Date:28-Jun-16

fast gro

Fall draw

Four galore

Keep educating John...bring it on!

Mark

John, I appreciate all you do here. Your no nonsense approach and your knowledge is first rate in my view. I never fail to learn something in your posts. Thanks !

Date:13-Jul-16

Here is a pic of the educational event. I will have another food plot event this September. In the fall plot will be blocks of forage oats, winter triticale winter wheat, winter rye, winter oats, rutabaga, radish, 3 types of turnips, kale, rape, winfred brassica, pasja brassica, hunter brassica and more.

Date:16-Jul-16

sunn hemp at 21 days

Date:18-Jul-16

Sunn Hemp some love and some have had issues with. Why i love sunn hemp is to fill in the gaps between when the deer will hit the clovers and when the deer will hit the soybeans. Sunn Hemp i love because it will fixate up to 100 units of nitrogen in 2 months. It also smothers weeds. It dies down fast in the fall once the frost hits it. I use it in one of my 4 way cover crop mixes when the farmers take off their winter wheat. It is something that can be planted during the heat and doesn't need much moisture. It does need the ground to be around 65 degrees and it needs heat units to take off. Once you get warm ground and heat, it will thrive.

The deer loveeeeee it but at JUST THE RIGHT TIME. The right time no coincidence, is the same time they usually hit giant rag weed. Giant rag weed is nutritious and of great value for 7-10 days each year in my area. No, i'm not advocating for people to let the weeds grow, plant sunn hemp.

I will be releasing a product called fast gro that a number of bowsite members have planted. It contains sunn hemp, buckwheat and sorghum. It's a great weed snotherer and warm season soil builder. It also can make great temporary cover.

It doesn't require a lot of fertilization and it has been around for ages but the deer people are always slow to jump on board anything that doesn't make the big box stores or fancy bag companies money. I fear it will go the direction of egyptian wheat where every body jumps on it but not for the right reasons and using it wrong.

I have a couple guys who used it in my four galore mix in a semi shady area. I'm excited to see how that works out for those guys.

Date:20-Jun-19

Harm him? I doubt it. First, take him out in the woods and expose him to the great outdoors. A great way to start is on hikes, canoeing, camping, etc. Get him a BB gun and get him shooting at pop cans, balloons etc. Take small steps, good for all three of you. BC

Date:20-Jun-19

I agree, your threads, and projects, are always very informative. Thanks.

Date:21-Jun-19

I wish your plots were not several states away...I would love to attend.

Date:21-Jun-19

John,

Thanks for posting commentary, education and pics.....I've learned a lot from you over the years!

....And Frosty Delight is the BOMB!!!

In both stand alone plots and overseeded into beans!

Thank you,

Mark

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.