Thornton 24-May-16
B N A A guy 24-May-16
Mike-TN 25-May-16
Tndeer 25-May-16
Mike-TN 25-May-16
Coolcop 25-May-16
dm/wolfskin 25-May-16

Date:24-May-16

I recently put out several trophy rock. After two weeks it looks like they have all either completely dissolved or partially dissolved. We have had a lot of rain but I was thinking they would Stay in a solid form longer than that. Is anyone else having that experience. I'm sure it's just as good or better for them to dissolve

I had the same problem last year. never had it happen before though.

Have you been getting a lot of rain? They could be dissolving and leaching into the soil.

We always put salt blocks or trophy rock on a cut off log 12 inches in width in the mineral lick to slow the process plenty of run off from rain for the minerals to leech in

Those dissolve very easily, especially if they're in standing water for any period of time. But the salt is still there and the animals will lick & eat the dirt to get it.

Why don't you make it a little shed to protect it from the rain

You could take a gallon milk jug, cut the bottom off and use that as a pan to put the rock into. Any dissolved mineral will stay in the bottom when the water evaporates.

I had the same experience during wet years and not so much during dry years. now I use a bag of red mineral salt and a bag of di-calcium phosphate, half of each at each spot and have more usage than the TR alone.

It's just salt. It will dissolve

rain got them buddy!

Date:25-May-16

Thanks guys. I thought maybe The deer were playing games with me. I'm guessing it was just the rain

By: Tndeer

I agree with sticksender... The deer will eat/lick the soil that has absorbed the salt. I actually dig a hole so that when it rains a lot, the salt does not dissolve and run off.

Thanks guys. I thought maybe The deer were playing games with me. I'm guessing it was just the rain

I've kept the red mineral blocks for over a year since I started getting them up off the dirt. I have one on the edge of a food plot. I used the rocks I picked off the plot to build up 1' by 1' area. I placed the block on the top. More than doubled the life of the block.

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo

This started out as a simple salt block on the ground. I keep adding salt to it every year with blocks or just loose salt. All the critters use iT. Deer, hogs, turkeys, raccoons, opossum, armadillos, squirrels and different birds. The blind in the background is for hogs. In the dry periods I might bring in 5 gallons of water to put in it. I've killed a few deer and pigs around it.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.