Cultipacker
Tractors, ATVs, & Attachments
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
MK111 12-May-16
drycreek 12-May-16
t-roy 13-May-16
MK111 15-May-16
MK111 17-May-16
MK111 17-May-16
MK111 17-May-16
t-roy 17-May-16
t-roy 18-May-16
MK111 18-May-16
drycreek 18-May-16
Mark Watkins 18-May-16
t-roy 18-May-16
Mark Watkins 18-May-16
MK111 20-May-16
MK111 22-May-16
CAS_HNTR 23-May-16
MK111 23-May-16
BOHUNTER09 23-May-16
MK111 24-May-16

By: MK111
Date:12-May-16

Just had a 8' McCormick-Deering cultipacker delivered. Has anyone rebuilt the shaft bearing.? I looked on couple tractor forums and it appears that it had original hard rock maple wood bearings. Does this sound correct? Also seen where some guys used plastic PVC pipe to fill up the fill up the cavity. Then they drilled holes in the PVC pipe for the grease. Claims been running it for 10 years that way. If I do a rebuild I'll do pictures.

Date:12-May-16

Yes, the hard rock maple is correct. Seems strange, but I've seen it in descriptions of cultipackers for sale.

By: t-roy
Date:13-May-16

I replaced the wood bearings on my 4' cultipacker several years ago. I used a couple of pieces of seasoned oak that I cut from the tops of some white oak trees that had been cut down probably 60 years ago. The loggers only used the trunks for barrel staves & left the tops. It's amazing how well the wood in those tops have stayed all these years. Mine have held up for 10+ years so far. Maple may be a better choice though.

The hardest part is drilling the holes in the block of wood for the axle. I used a hole saw bit & had to cut the hole out part ways from each side due to the wood's thickness. The holes were a little oversize but I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I don't even think you need to grease them either. They will never get hot enough to hurt anything plus I think the grease will attract dirt & cause the wood bearing to wear faster.

Date:15-May-16

I tore the one axle bearing off. It's a 4" long 6 sided wood bearing 3.5" wide. It's in 2 pieces with 3 holes drilled half way for grease path. The axle is 1.5" hole in the center.

The outside hole ID was correct but the inside ID hole was wore to a paper thin but it wasn't into the housing metal yet.

To speed things up this spring I decided to do a fast plastic PVC pipe bearing fix.

I cut a piece of 1.25" PVC pipe 4" long and split it length wise, took a pry bar and pried open the split and slipped over the axle. That left about a 1" gap so I split off a 1" piece of 2" PVC pipe and slipped on to fill the gap.

Then I cut a piece of 2" PVC pipe 4" long and slipped it over the 1.25" pipe. It's a tight fit and needed a hammer to tap it in. There was a 2" gap left over on the outside so I cut 2-1" strips of 2" PVC pipe to fill in the gap.

Tomorrow I will work on the other 3 bearings. But I'm going to lift the cultipacker up in the air with my hay fork and put a safety stands under it. That way I can work setting on a chair rather than stooping over.

I'll take some pictures of the rebuild.

This will get me by for the season for the couple acres I do. On Yesterday Tractor forum the guy I got the idea from says he been using the fix for 10 yrs. so maybe this will last a long time.

Thoughts.

Date:17-May-16

Today I rebuilt the other 3 bearings. But in these I used a 1.5" PVC pipe for the axle sleeve. The 1.5" is just slightly too small to slip over the axle so I split it length wise and use a pry bar to spread it out. Leaving about a 1/2" gap. Over that I slipped a 2" PVC pipe and one half of a 2" pipe cut to fill in the outside gap.

This looks like a decent rebuild. I only do couple acres each year and I'll check for wear next spring. But I doubt there will be much.

Wood bearing. Other end is paper thin from wear.

As a side note the inside of the bearing housing is also 8 sided as the bearing is. Fas a grease fitting on top of the housing with a bolt on end cap.

photo cultipacker wood bearings_zpscomk8qe4.jpg

Why don't picture show up as I hosted through photbucket.com?

Thanks for the help on posting pictures.

Picture of wood bearing posted.

t-roy's embedded Photo

Here's a pic of my wooden bearings.

Date:18-May-16

t-roy's embedded Photo

The other side. I couldn't find another washer big enough so I had to make one out of of a piece of flat steel. I'll never make it as a machinist, but it works!

Mine is a 4 footer, but I've seen wooden bearings on a 6' cultipacker as well. I'm not sure if they would work on a bigger one than that or not. I don't see why not. Most all of the weight is on the wheels anyway.

Pat..I'm sure these bearings have been on this for at least 10 years, probably longer.

I have a 6' basket type cultipacker with the same type of wood block show by t-roy. Except the previous owner used a 4'4 block and split it I assume to get the center hole. It's been on there for years. I just fill the split area with grease and it works fine.

I plan on selling the 6' basket type since I just got the 8' double roller one. It's a nice shape to pull behind a ATV or even a golf cart as I did last season.

t-roy, that's why I own one cutting torch and three grinders ! :)

T-Roy, MK111 and drycreek,

you guys get the "Bowsite McGyver Award!"

Mark

If I would have had some rubber bands & some foil from a pack of gum the day that I replaced the bearings, I think I could have made the cultipacker self-propelled!

I'm always super impressed with guys like the three of you as I am still trying to tell the difference between a hammer and a crescent wrench.....

Nicely done!

Mark

Date:20-May-16

Here's the 6' basket cultipaker I've been using for the last 3 seasons. Did a decent job of rolling the ground after I would plant turnips and small seed. I had 2 big flat creek rocks on it for weight. photo basket roller-1_zpsfc4myqrl.jpg

Is there a classified ads section?  photo basket roller-2_zpslswec8n1.jpg What was nice about it I could pull with ease behind my ATV or my golf cart.

Date:22-May-16

Trying to answer a PM and keep getting a error 404.

Located in SW Ohio 20 miles north of Cinci.

Date:23-May-16

Frank......I'd stick it on craigslist and qdma forum to start.....no offense to bowsite, but the classifieds are ROUGH at best

Thanks, just trying to answer a bowsite member.

Thanks for the reply- a little too far to consider- thanks

Date:24-May-16

Well my new cultipacker work great today when I rolled my son's plot 2 times.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.